share rss forum feed

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

[WIN7] Blocking access to Network Applet via Wireless systray

I need to block all access by users to the network control panel applet.
I figured out that using the local GPO I can block access to the Control panel and/or only display certain items.

HOWEVER, when I click on the wireless systray application and click on Open Network and Sharing Center, it does!, despite the control panel being blocked.

I know I can extend the AD schema and make the policy changes that way, but that involves a bureaucratic mess that I don't want to get into.

Any other suggestions?
--
Every government has its Secret Service branch: America, CIA; France, Deuxieme Bureau; England, MI5. NATO also has its own.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

My first question is concerning the users, are they appropriately running as standard users or are they administrators?

Secondly, it sounds like you're trying to restrict with this GPO item:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connections

Prohibit access to properties of a LAN connection. - If you enable this Group Policy setting, then affected users cannot change any of the properties of a LAN connection.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Standard users, (and the GPO affects admins too, I tested that).
I'll give that a try, thanks UB

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to elwoodblues

Nope that didn't work, got full access via the wireless systray applet.

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to elwoodblues

How about Group policy, User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and edit Hide specified Control Panel items.
The item to be hid is:

@%SystemRoot%\System32\netcenter.dll,-1

On my Win7-64, this setting is stopping the Network and Sharing Center from showing when I click it from the wireless icon. (However it is not stopping dllhost.exe from trying to display the item, before giving up.)

Resource: »msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···ngCenter

Says the Clsid is {8E908FC9-BECC-40f6-915B-F4CA0E70D03D}
That key appears to be owned by Trusted Installer.
Also took a look at %SystemRoot%\System32\netcenter.dll and that is owned by trusted installer.

An alternate way is perhaps to take ownership of netcenter.dll, apply the permissions to block certain users, and then give ownership back to Trusted Installer. But, I didn't go there, since I don't need to block this item.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

I'm pretty sure I blocked the entire control panel and it still popped up. I'll look at it again
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Frodo

That seems to work locally, I've passed it on the to guys working on the tablets.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius