spc
uniqs
thadsaab
join:2007-09-10
Wilbraham, MA

thadsaab to TF110

to TF110

Re: WMC HD viewing issue

Cogdis is right, your hardware should be sufficient. Clearly, however, there is a problem.

Since the either xbox works fine if it connects first, most likely the problem is in the shared items in the path: the htpc, the network cable, and the router.

1. It is unlikely to be the issue, but if it's easy, I'd try swaping the network cable to the htpc.

2. Try connecting a switch between the htpc, basement xbox, and router.

3. Is there a difference between when you watch live tv simultaneously on both xboxes and when you watch recorded tv simultaneously on both? I think watching recorded tv on both will require 1/2 of the disk access.

4. Watching TV on the xboxes shouldn't cause much CPU usage on the htpc, but it should be easy to verify.

TF110
@verizon.net

TF110

Anon

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the replys. My power has been out (northeast ice storm) and just recently restored, so I apologize that I've been unable to respond.

Cogdis,
1. I will try what you recommend regarding the network cable. I'll get back to you on that.
2. I don't have a network switch, though I'm unsure what that even does or how to connect/operate it.
3. There is no difference. If she is watching a HD recorded show on xbox360 and i'm watching live HD, then one of the xbox will experience the "network issue".
4. When looking up CPU usage on my pc it never gets higher than 40% and that is with 2 xbox and the pc going at the same time.
TF110

TF110 to thadsaab

Anon

to thadsaab
Thadsaab, I apologize, that previous response was meant for you.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

OK. that is an older mobo w/ RT 10/100. Are you using the PC to watch TV (Media center) when this is occurring, or it is only when extenders are in operation.

The weak link in the server is usually the older PCI busses and more importantly the Realtek embedded ethernet are real junk.

Your motherboard has embedded ATI graphics, so if ans to question 1 is yes, are you using the onboard video or a PCIexpress dedicated graphics card.

Most likely this can be solved by putting an Intel Pro NIC in the server, but need to know what else is going on.

TF110
@verizon.net

TF110

Anon

We rarely use the PC to watch media center so I'm not sure if it occurs when watching PC and 1 Xbox at the same time.
The issue occurs every time we have both extenders in use on HD programming.

The ceton is 6 tuners so I'm sure there have been times where the PC is recording 2 or more shows while we watched HD show together on an extender without any issues.

I use a radeon HD 5450 pciexpress dedicated graphics card. (But that is only connected to PC monitor through dvi)

I appreciate the help. Thanks.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Ok. I had this problem early on in my setup and it came down to a few things I needed to modify.

Here are my thoughts on possible issues:

1. NIC. That Realtek NIC really stinks and from the combination of your older system while capable could easily be taking up more than 75% of your PCI us capacity. The Realtek NICs use minimal offload so they are inturrupt heavy and use lots of CPU resources. You can get an Intel Pro PCIe adapter used on ebay or if you look around for $15. It will be 100/1000.

2. MoCA 1.0 - Both of your routers D,E run on the old Moca standard which while it has QoS does not do a good job. I had a pair of Netgear MCAB001 (MocA 1.0) and whenever both were in operation, I would get the Network quality issue. I rectified by running Cat 6 directly to both points. As your basement router is really just for ONT connectivity and the switch for basement, you really can't do much. You could call Verizon and tell them you are having network issues (you are) and they may update it to a modern one w/ GB port which will go well with your Intel NIC. If you go the Intel way you have to turn off flow control. This leaves your Rev D router. You can get a swap from Verizon and see if that helps (pro won't because I have a Rev F which is MoCA1.1 and had the issue. You can get a used AT Moca 1.1 bridge which only serves that purpose. This way you really don't have to configure anything.

Also if they give you a rev I, the switch in it is GB like I said earlier and much more powerful.

The bridge here ($75 for twin pack). You can keep it an use it or sell the other on ebay or CL. People are always looking for them:

»www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· tion=new

I would start w/ the Intel NIC (CT Pro) and see if that clears anything up. Worst case for $15 or so you have a modern NIC that you can use in your next system for the next 10 years and it does offload and interrupt management.

If that doesn't help, then try going to MoCa 1.1 adapters and have Verizon get you a newer gateway....

I also had issues and I upgraded to a GB switch, but if you get a newer Actiontec from Verizon then it will be powerful enough.

I would also check your MoCA stats in the router, and try changing channels to see if that helps. I also ALWAYS recommend to cap off any splitter or outlet 100% to minimize MoCA interference.

Example:

»www.amazon.com/Type-75-O ··· resistor

HTH

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

MoCA 1.0 vs MoCA 1.1 won't really make a big difference in this case, especially because only 1 stream is going over the MoCA network anyway. That shouldn't affect both at the same time.

OP: Simplest (and cheapest) test you need to do is put both Xboxs on the same wired switch next to your computer. Play two streams and see what happens. If they work fine, then (and only then) would I start pointing fingers at the MoCA connection or routers. If it doesn't work, then I'd start checking your computer and NIC.

One long shot that you can test before that: do you have an antivirus or firewall installed that monitors web traffic? Try turning off that part of it (or just disable it completely for a short time) and then test again. Many firewalls have issues pushing a lot of data.

TF110
@74.113.110.x

TF110

Anon

Ok, i'm going to try the cheapest route first and go from there.

Base on Thinkdiff's recommendation, i'll take the xbox from the living room and plug it into the primary router in the basement. (This router already has the HTPC as well as an xbox connected directly to it). I'll play HD live TV on both extenders at the same time and see if the issue appears.

I'll do this tonight and will get back to you.

If that doesnt work, then I'll use elefante's recommendation and switch out the NIC with something more powerful.

Again, thanks for your help with this.

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999

There has been known issues with Network speeds, such as full/half duplex issues. Yes the NIC can cause alot of issues with the bandwidth.

TF110
@verizon.net

TF110 to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff
Today I was finally able to take the Xbox from the living room to the basement and plugged it into the same router as the htpc and other Xbox.
I was able to view HD programming on both xboxes at the same time for over 30 mins without a "network connection" issue.
So my next question is, what does this mean? Seems that the nic card can handle the output. (Im still going to upgrade anyway)
Would you suspect a problematic moca (converted) router in the living room?
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

It may be the bridge chip and GPIO between the MoCA chip and the ethernet/CPU chip becomes saturated and cannot handle the simultaneous packet load. I would connect the Xbox back to the MoCA connection and look at the stats when the issue is happening. If it looks like MoCA isn't having issues, then you may have to upgrade you main router to a newer version. I have a Rev E and when I had two MoCA on it I would get the network issues, even if only one was in operation and sometimes when only MoCA was running.

A few thoughts:

1. Did you do a hard reset and DL the latest firmware for the endpoint (AT connected to the Xbox LR)?
2. Firmware up to date on both
3. Absolutely sure you don't have any services running on the endpoint.
4. Are your Moca Stats coming up at 230 or greater on both?
5. What is your splitter config/branch config for the setup.
6. No amplifiers or power strips "filtering" the coax in the system.
7. Make sure IGMP proxy is disabled on both AT (Advanced->IGMP Proxy)
8. No firewall rules, QoS, etc setup. Sometimes people fiddle and forget. Like Uncle Earnie.

The thing that concerns me is that you were seeing the issue on the ethernet Xbox, which isn't a MoCA issue per se, but perhaps saturation. I would make sure IGMP is disabled first.