Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Switch, Link Aggregation Question

Dell CA or staples is selling the dlink dgs 1100-8 for about $70
I have a thecus n5550 with two Ethernet ports.
It can work with link aggregation.

The switch has static port trunking. I basically thought port trunking equals aggregation. Will this work with the NAS or do I have to use another switch which has LACP??? (assuming this means dynamic port trunking)

L2 Features
•Flow Control: 802.3x Flow Control, HOL Blocking Prevention
•IGMP Snooping: IGMP v1/v2 Snooping, Supports 32 Groups
•Loopback Detection
•Static Trunk: 2 groups, 2-4 ports per group (DGS-1100-08), 8 groups, 2-4 ports per group (DGS-1100-16/24)
•Port Mirroring: One-to-One, Many-to-One (DGS-1100-16/24 only)
•Cable Diagnostics Statistics: Tx Ok, Tx Error, Rx Ok, Rx Error
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1
you must use the same protocol between devices

if you use LACP on the nas you must use it on the switch.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav
Okay so I have to confirm the protocol used on the NAS..........

LittleBill

yes

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav
Well here is my dilemma...
Dlink switch said static port trunking
Thecus NAS says........
Load balance, Failover, 802.3ad, balance-xor, balance-tlb, balance-alb.

The problem is the only one of these modes that suggests a protocol is 802.3ad.
Is that sufficient to work with static trunks or does that require LACB?

The following wiki did not help. It is not clear to me that the NAS is capable of LACP. It only states 3.ad and not 1.ax. Why else would it have those other options because it seems LACP does everything automatically. I am no closer to truth. :-(

Link Aggregation Control Protocol[edit]

Within the IEEE specification the Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) provides a method to control the bundling of several physical ports together to form a single logical channel. LACP allows a network device to negotiate an automatic bundling of links by sending LACP packets to the peer (directly connected device that also implements LACP).

Advantages over static configuration[edit]
Failover occurs automatically: When a link fails and there is (for example) a media converter between the devices, a peer system will not perceive any connectivity problems. With static link aggregation the peer would continue sending traffic down the link causing the connection to fail.
Dynamic configuration: The device can confirm that the configuration at the other end can handle link aggregation. With Static link aggregation a cabling or configuration mistake could go undetected and cause undesirable network behavior.[7]

Practical notes[edit]

LACP works by sending frames (LACPDUs) down all links that have the protocol enabled. If it finds a device on the other end of the link that also has LACP enabled, it will also independently send frames along the same links enabling the two units to detect multiple links between themselves and then combine them into a single logical link. LACP can be configured in one of two modes: active or passive. In active mode it will always send frames along the configured links. In passive mode however, it acts as "speak when spoken to", and therefore can be used as a way of controlling accidental loops (as long as the other device is in active mode).[4]
--
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

LittleBill

802.3ad=LACP

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav
Okay, found the following Info. It clearly states dynamic ling aggregation for the 802.3ad protocol and thus the dlink static trunk would not work on this selection but it may on options e and f..
Above my pay grade.......................

The way I understand the following selections
a. load balance - based solely on availability of switch ie taking turns
b. failover - only one active at a time auto fail over
c. balance xor - I think very tentatively this means each port on the nAS is slaved to a port on the switch by mac address. the nas applies load balancing as per a. and fault tolerance since both are always up.
d. 802.3ad - has to be on both switch and NAS. dynamically creates one big throughput and of course fault tolerance. BEST bonding performance.
e. balance tlb - beyond me BUT SEEMS to indicate this may work with STATIC TRUNK.
f. balance alb - beyond me BUT may work well with STATIC TRUNKs

Load Balance (mode=0, balance-rr)
Round-robin policy: Transmit packets in sequential order from the first available slave through the last. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Failover (mode=1, active-backup)
Active-backup policy: Only one slave in the bond is active. A different slave becomes active if, and only if, the active slave fails. The bond's MAC address is externally visible on only one port (network adapter) to avoid confusing the switch. This mode provides fault tolerance. The primary option affects the behavior of this mode.

Balance-XOR (mode=2, balance-xor)
XOR policy: Transmit based on [(source MAC address XOR'd with destination MAC address) modulo slave count]. This selects the same slave for each destination MAC address. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

802.3ad (mode=4, 802.3ad)
IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation. Creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings. Utilizes all slaves in the active aggregator according to the 802.3ad specification.

Pre-requisites:
1. Ethtool support in the base drivers for retrieving the speed and duplex of each slave.
2. A switch that supports IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation.
Most switches will require some type of configuration to enable 802.3ad mode.

Balance-TLB (mode=5, balance-tlb)
Adaptive transmit load balancing: channel bonding that does not require any special switch support. The outgoing traffic is distributed according to the current load (computed relative to the speed) on each slave. Incoming traffic is received by the current slave. If the receiving slave fails, another slave takes over the MAC address of the failed receiving slave.

Prerequisite: Ethtool support in the base drivers for retrieving the speed of each slave.

Balance-ALB (mode=6, balance-alb)
Adaptive load balancing: includes balance-tlb plus receive load balancing (rlb) for IPV4 traffic, and does not require any special switch support. The receive load balancing is achieved by ARP negotiation. The bonding driver intercepts the ARP Replies sent by the local system on their way out and overwrites the source hardware address with the unique hardware address of one of the slaves in the bond such that different peers use different hardware addresses for the server.

For example, if you want to setup 802.3ad, just enable the option "802.3ad", and connect both WAN and LAN to your switch. Be sure your switch supports 802.3ad, or it may not work.
--

LlamaWorks Equipment

LittleBill

balance is really only going to work with multiple clients.

why are you stuck on the dlink?

are you sure your nas can saturate the single gig interface?

mine sure as heck can't.

personally i would just use the failover mode

but the 2 balance modes will work fine, not sure how much you will gain though

LACP is significantly better in all cases

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav
I already have a netgear GS110TP that has it, so not to worry but was planning on using it elsewhere.