Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord

Re: Official Sochi 2014 Olympics Thread

Speaking of events... I don't know why, but the biathlon is one of my favourite sports (out of the less popular ones) to follow. I just always found cool as a kid and it just stayed with me afterwards.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

NBC: All Visitors to Sochi Olympics Immediately Hacked

"As tourists and families of athletes arrive in Sochi, if they haven't been warned, and if they fire up their phones at baggage claim, it's probably too late to save the integrity of their electronics and everything inside them. Visitors to Russia can expect to be hacked. And as Richard Engel found out upon his arrival there, it's not a matter of if, but when," reports NBC's Brian Williams.

»www.weeklystandard.com/b ··· 718.html
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

NBC: All Visitors to Sochi Olympics Immediately Hacked

"As tourists and families of athletes arrive in Sochi, if they haven't been warned, and if they fire up their phones at baggage claim, it's probably too late to save the integrity of their electronics and everything inside them. Visitors to Russia can expect to be hacked. And as Richard Engel found out upon his arrival there, it's not a matter of if, but when," reports NBC's Brian Williams.

»www.weeklystandard.com/b ··· 718.html

What a bunch of crap. Here's a not so edited version of the video.

»www.nbcnews.com/watch/nb ··· 95971642

On the phone they knowingly downloaded an apk. On the PC laptop they opened an email attachment to get infected. On the Mac they went to website that asked them to install an "antivirus program". Shame on NBC for this nonsense.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

Canada spent $7 Billion on the last Olympics...Russia's $50 Billion is staggering.

I don't think its a fair comparison because from what I understand, the Sochi bid was literally starting from nothing and they have had to construct everything except the mountains.

However the fact that things still aren't ready after all this time clearly shows that either the Sochi planners were incompetent, couldn't plan a one car funeral or that this whole Olympic bid was orchestrated "from the top" (read: Putin) with no thought as to how they would actually pull this thing off.

GO CANADA GO!

NefCanuck

How about:

1) Incompetent
2) Couldn't plan a one car funeral
3) Olympic bid was orchestrated from the top "Putin" with no thought how they'd actually pull it off.

Where is the Minister of Misinformation when you need him?
Expand your moderator at work
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0

Lots of places are like that in Europe.. Parts of greece , italy, spain etc etc..

they use septic tanks in the back of their houses etc, or how ever it works and don't flush everything.

Or I would assume they don't like their drinking water, and pee , poop water to be one?

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

1 recommendation

milnoc to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

I also enjoy bobsleigh for some reason. Something about people stuck balls to balls in a tincan going at 120 km/h down an icy chute screams LOOK AT ME.

I prefer the skeleton. Not only are you riding down the track on what amounts to a serving tray, you're doing it HEAD FIRST!

Raptor
Not a Dumptruck
join:2001-10-21
London, ON

Raptor

said by milnoc:

I prefer the skeleton. Not only are you riding down the track on what amounts to a serving tray, you're doing it HEAD FIRST!

Little video by a Canadian co., you know, if you also like the luge

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· b2JYiKXM

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

I just hope Peter Mansbridge keeps his mouth shut for at least a few moments during the opening ceremonies.

Don't sound like it.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

I like both, but I'm siding on Bobsleigh this year. An old classmate, Jesse Lumsden is competing, and I'll be cheering him on.

Aaaand our Hockey teams, of course!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to BGB

Premium Member

to BGB
Great, guess I won't bother watching it.

#shutupmansbridge

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
$50 BILLION spectacle........lots of fluff and color for the opening ceremonies.

Everyone was watching at the gym.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon

what that money could do...
Orbious
join:2009-02-05

Orbious to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Was going to check out the opening ceremony but it seems CBC doesn't support linux. Oh well.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
our company hooked up a computer to a 55" TV and put it in our lunch room.

i think they know people will stream the olympics on their desktop and would rather have one feed streaming rather than 50.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Good luck to all of your Canadian athletes!

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

$50 BILLION spectacle........lots of fluff and color for the opening ceremonies.

Zedder....they had a stat on the radio the other day....for the cost of Sochi they
could have built the Vancouver Olympic sites 4 times over, pay for the new Port Mann
Bridge, build a new Pattullo bridge and replace the Deas Island Tunnel with a new bridge!!

FaxCap
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
They've installed a couple of projection screens in the lobby my workplace building. Caught some of the opening ceremony while heading out for lunch.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to TigerLord

to TigerLord
LOL Chara.

Said Chara to WEEI.com earlier this week:

“I’ve been in Russia many times, and yeah, there are many different levels of hotels from one-star, two-star to really luxury ones,” Chara said. “I’m sure it’s not going to be a five-star accommodation, but I don’t think it’s going to be anything bad. Really, as an athlete, we’re more looking for getting enough rest and a good night’s sleep and obviously good food. That’s all you should really care about — not what kind of pillows.”

Lars Volden's features a mighty viking warrior

Norway 3 goaltenders and three unique masks.
Lars Haugen, Lars Volden and Steffen Soberg

And

U.S. may get gold medal for 'ugliest outfits'

The Americans sported sweaters and toques that some said made them look too 'Christmasy.'

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Very cool looking paint jobs...........looks like the Hab's colors too.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Correct. Here are others. Thiese images are from Yahoo web site.

Here's Lars Haugen's, featuring the Northern Lights:

And

Steffen Soberg's features a tribute to the Norwegian film "Troll Hunter":

NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to TigerLord

to TigerLord
American friend razzed me saying the Canadian unis looked like Starfleet uniforms...

I promptly replying by naming him a resident of The United Sweaters of America, that shut him up

NefCanuck
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by NefCanuck:

American friend razzed me saying the Canadian unis looked like Starfleet uniforms...

Starfleet not a surprise, considering Shatner.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to TigerLord

MVM

to TigerLord
69 shots on goal by the women as Team Canada make 5-0 cheese out of the Swiss.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord

1ST MEDAL IS A BRONZE.

»olympics.cbc.ca/news/art ··· ?cid=rss
ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord

Alleged Olympic vote-swapping deal would keep Canada from gold

»olympics.cbc.ca/news/art ··· ?cid=rss

Thought they were supposed to clean this crap up?

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Kalford

Premium Member

to Kalford

said by Kalford:

69 shots on goal by the women as Team Canada make 5-0 cheese out of the Swiss.

for now, Women's Hockey is really Canada vs USA...give it time though.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Hey,hey.........Gold and Silver for the 2 sisters in moguls.

Cool.
don_quixote
join:2008-04-17
Toronto, ON

don_quixote to LastDon

to LastDon
said by LastDon:

what that money could do...

They used the vast majority of that money to revitalize a fairly undeveloped region of their country. And I sincerely doubt that many Russians are complaining. But we're so concerned here about how Russia spends their money all a sudden. I can't sleep at night thinking about the Russian tax payer... Rings false. As does much of the outrage regarding Sochi.

For all the talk, Russians chose not to have the faux moral outrage over East Hastings or 3rd world aboriginal reserves in Canada when we had the Olympics (I typed in Vancouver Hastings in Cyrillic to check a bit, since there are results about that, but unrelated to Olympics).

In an era when the Canadian government is openly admitting on spying on us while denying it's actually spying, US torturing and threatening whistle blowers with death, US diplomats attempting to orchestrate a coup in a country a million miles away ('incidentally' in order to 'spite' Russia), there's things more pressing to me right now than participating in Cold War lite.

In any case, our opening ceremonies really looked embarrassing in comparison.

Changing the topic. Canada's investments in athletes are obviously really paying off, talk about having a successful first full day.
don_quixote

don_quixote to Orbious

to Orbious
said by Orbious:

Was going to check out the opening ceremony but it seems CBC doesn't support linux. Oh well.

Usenet has some very nice streams. There's an Australian one that's far less obnoxious than was the CBC coverage.