share rss forum feed

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

[WIN7] Removing nVidia Drivers

My NVidia drivers are causing my system major headaches. I need to remove them. But I can no boot to Safe Mode in Windows 7. The system will only boot to System restore, which will not complete, or regular Windows, which causes the monitor to go into power save mode. Nothing will allow the system to continue to load. Any ideas on how to remove the drivers?
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to DKS
If you find you are having corruption problems and the uninstall does not work, there are 2 options.

This tool is one:
»www.guru3d.com/files_details/dis···oad.html

Another is install, reboot and then uninstall, but instead of reboot, go in and delete all Nvidia folders, everywhere, then goto system32\drivers and on the top bar of explorer:
Right click, then a window opens up, go through the list until you find "company".
Then you will have a list of which is Nvidia - delete all NOT THE STORAGE/RAID drivers.
Then reboot, you will get 800x600 resolution. But you will be able to start again.
I usually use CCleaner and its registry tool at this stage, reboot and install the new drivers.

Done.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Wily_One
nView has not been a part of nVidia drivers (except the Professional series) for many years. Those are very old instructions. Are they relevant today (sans the non existent nView of course)? Here's the newer instructions, similar to the old but no mention of nView.

»nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/···BlTWw%3D
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to DKS
All of that presumes you can boot to Windows. That's not possible. The monitor goes into Power Save mode right after the Windows splash.
--

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
Is there a particular reason why you can't boot to Safe Mode?

You're subject does say Windows 7 not Windows 8.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

All of that presumes you can boot to Windows. That's not possible.

Use a Boot Disk and delete files and drivers?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
Ended up pulling the boot drive (an SSD), copying what I needed off it and reformatting. Installation of Windows 7 is underway.
--

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Still haven't heard why Safe Mode didn't work and why you need to reinstall Windows. Sounds like your system was seriously screwed up, more than the graphic driver.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by Wily_One:

Still haven't heard why Safe Mode didn't work and why you need to reinstall Windows. Sounds like your system was seriously screwed up, more than the graphic driver.

It would not boot to Safe Mode. Period. The system is not screwed up, save for the NVidia driver.
--

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Then why are you reinstalling Windows?

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA

1 edit
reply to DKS
It's a little trickier in 7 than XP but if you use a combination of the space bar and F8 to the the menu before it goes in you can try booting to the VGA mode and see if that takes. It's called "Enable low-resolution video (640 x 480)."
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Space bar? I'm on Win7 and F8 still works for me. You just have to know when to hit it.

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA
Many times F8's been tricky for me and skips giving me the menu. Sometimes the space bar option that gives you a Windows 7 bar has helped. Haven't been able to figure out how to consistently hit F8 at the right point.
--

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

Then why are you reinstalling Windows?

Apparently he felt that that was the only way he could solve the problem.
--

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to takeahike
If your system shows a graphic during boot*, it prevents you from seeing the boot process. If that's the case, or if you screen doesn't "wake up" in time, just mash F8 until you get into the menu. If you see the Windows logo appear you've already missed it.

*This can usually be turned off...

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA
I don't have the graphic splash screen--it's disabled. It's just been a PITA and is especially annoying when you need it to do some work on a system. It was much easier and more predictable with XP. Just another annoyance of these machines.
--

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Well I don't know what to tell you - I have no problem getting to Safe Mode when needed on either my Win7 desktop (self-built) or my Win7 work laptop (Lenovo).

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA
Thanks for trying!

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Just one more thing, that may not apply but makes a big difference if it does:

I use an external keyboard (and monitor) with my laptop during normal work. But, when I need to get to Safe Mode, I use the built-in keyboard.

The reason is where the F8 opportunity occurs in the boot sequence is before USB has been enabled, so the external keyboard is not usable at that moment. (Hope that made sense.) All of this happens in the first few seconds of booting BTW, right after the BIOS enumerates your hardware.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

If your system shows a graphic during boot*, it prevents you from seeing the boot process. If that's the case, or if you screen doesn't "wake up" in time, just mash F8 until you get into the menu. If you see the Windows logo appear you've already missed it.

*This can usually be turned off...

That does not work. Mashing, holding or otherwise laying on the F8 key does absolutely nothing. The solution which works occasionally is to boot with the Windows disk, go into System Restore and roll back one or two Restore points. But that does not work all the time. I found that it worked barely 50% of the time.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

Just one more thing, that may not apply but makes a big difference if it does:

I use an external keyboard (and monitor) with my laptop during normal work. But, when I need to get to Safe Mode, I use the built-in keyboard.

The reason is where the F8 opportunity occurs in the boot sequence is before USB has been enabled, so the external keyboard is not usable at that moment. (Hope that made sense.) All of this happens in the first few seconds of booting BTW, right after the BIOS enumerates your hardware.

This is not a laptop, but a desktop. And a very fast one.
--

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
The faster it is means the shorter the window to hit F8. I don't know if you can see your boot process, but you need to hit F8 before you see the graphic window with 'Starting Windows'. Once you see that it's too late.

One thing to be clear: when I say "mash" I mean press the button repeatedly. Like, as soon as you hear the reboot/startup beep, start pressing F8 as fast as you can and continue until you get to the menu. Simply holding it down will not work.

If the above still doesn't work, then I'd suggest going into your BIOS and enabling Legacy USB Support mode, if it's available to you.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to DKS
Wily_One See Profile is right.

Did you build the machine or is it OEM? If OEM whose? OEM machines tend to have a specific way of using the F8 key at boot and each is a little different. On my earlier Dell machines, I had to start tapping the F8 key steadily, not real fast or real slow, and continuously, with no pausing or stopping, almost from the moment the computer began booting and the drives were not SSDs. You would need to tap immediately on starting boot I would think with an SSD. If I "mashed it", tapped too fast or too slow, etc the computer would boot normally. (On my current Dell, Safe Mode is not available from boot, by Microsoft stupid design, until I followed trparky See Profile instructions so that now Safe Mode access is presented for 3 seconds on my screen after POST and just before the Welcome Screen but I have Windows 8 not Windows 7 as you have. It slows my SSD boot by 3 seconds...big deal).

If you have an OEM, find out from the OEM the correct procedure for accessing safe mode.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by Mele20:

Wily_One See Profile is right.

Did you build the machine or is it OEM?

I built it myself. I have built every desktop I have ever owned for the last 20 years. I would not give an OEM desktop house room.
--