Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

A Father-Daughter Team Launch Wake Robin

»ediblecleveland.com/stories/wint···ke-robin

quote:
Pat Murray sees unemployment as a health problem. If a person cannot afford good food, that person’s health will suffer. So, the retired physician wanted to produce an artisan food product that eschewed all the normal artisan baggage—something of high quality, but something that was affordable.

“I was interested in the question, ‘Can you make something in Northeast Ohio?’ and food seemed like the answer,” he said.

When an idea to make ketchup didn’t pan out, he called on his daughter, Molly Murray, who had a lot of experience working on small, organic farms and who was getting pretty handy at fermenting food. What they came up with was Wake Robin Foods, a small Cleveland company they now run that sells sauerkraut, kimchi, carrot escabeche, and more. They turned out their first batch of food for sale last March.

“For a lot of people, it’s kind of an unnerving process,” Molly said of fermentation.

Indeed, fermentation is an ongoing, living, microbial, food-preservation process. As such, over time, it changes the flavor of food. It has a lot in common with wine in that the source of the food and the time of year it’s harvested have a tangible effect on flavor. So does how long the food ferments.

Thought I mention this here for those that would like to support local business or Made in America. I've had their Kimchi a few times, and keep wanting more. It's loaded with ginger and a tad "spicy".
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.