spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Apd

@myvzw.com

[DSL] DSL outage redding, ca (NorCal)

DSL has been down since last night in redding, ca. Confirmed outage with frontier's tech support this morning. No eta to resolution.

frmima

@mycingular.net

Must be the entire 530 area?
I think the "no ETA" is bs.

mleland
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Westwood, CA

Yep I am out up in Clear Creek\Westwood\Lake Almanor as well.

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:7

2 recommendations

Reading through the outage log, it's going something like this... They tried an upgrade (software/config) late last night that ran into problems, so they started to roll it back. While rolling it back, they found the main switch serving NorCal had gone crispy critter (All routers and switches are powered by magic blue smoke. When the magic blue smoke leaves the box, it no longer works.). They then failed to the backup, which also came up with hardware problems. They called for a spare from the vendor, got an ETA of a couple hours, then the vendor calls back and goes "LOL, just kidding, we're out of stock, we'll have it to you Friday... maybe." Now they have technicians driving across NorCal raiding other COs for the part(s) they need.

Those guys are not having a fun morning.
--
Transparency Disclosure and Disclaimer: I am a Frontier employee posting in my own personal capacity. The opinions and positions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Frontier.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

said by Ben J:

(All routers and switches are powered by magic blue smoke. When the magic blue smoke leaves the box, it no longer works.).

You sir, win all of my allotment of Internet points for the day.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
reply to Ben J

said by Ben J:

Now they have technicians driving across NorCal raiding other COs for the part(s) they need.

This sounds familiar. I find it interesting that Frontier does not maintain spare/backup stock. As demonstrated on a couple occasions depending upon vendors to rapidly supply equipment is highly unreliable.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

At some point it becomes cost-prohibitive to have a backup/spare for the backup/spare you do have. In this case, the first spare failed as well.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Apd

@frontiernet.net
reply to Apd

DSL is back online now for me. Came up about an hour ago.

DeLiver
Premium
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Hank

said by Hank:

This sounds familiar. I find it interesting that Frontier does not maintain spare/backup stock. As demonstrated on a couple occasions depending upon vendors to rapidly supply equipment is highly unreliable.

All the money for spares went to West Virginia ?

»www.wvgazette.com/News/201311190164

Or to Washington ?

»www.fiercetelecom.com/story/fron···13-07-26

Give me a break.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

said by DeLiver:

All the money for spares went to West Virginia ?

Oh, you don't know how I wish that were true. We went through a very similar thing a couple months back.