All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to MarSin

to MarSin

Re: Anyone having problems with Hitron 3GN?

How much data do you use over the month? IMHO the biggest advantage of the 250/20 package is the 1TB monthly data limit, up from 250GB. That can save you overage fees. That and the additional 10Mbps upload speed. In reality going from 250 down to 150 down is of marginal value, except for bragging rights, as you can't actually sustain that speed for anything other than a local speedtest.

While it makes no sense to me, it seems hard to convince Rogers that they should give you a 150/10 1TB plan with an older modem for the same price as a 250/20 1TB plan with the CGN3. Or give me the 250/20 1 TB plan with the CGN2 or Cisco modems as I can live without the faster speeds until this issue is resolved.
MarSin
join:2012-01-21

MarSin

I'm with TekSavvy 25/10 DSL now and I average around 450GB/mth. The upload is a great perk for me if it actually reaches 20 up; partially the reason I was considering this package.

I figure I can go ahead with the install as scheduled and if it breaks as per this thread (I would want it in bridged mode to use my ASUS rt-ac68u) I can downgrade to 150/10 with the older CGN2.

You mentioned the 250 down is not sustainable - do you not see the additional benefit via heavy FTP, HTTP or BT downloads?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to wayner92

to wayner92
If you don't need the speed then downgrade to a lower tier and pay $30 extra for unlimited.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to MarSin

to MarSin
When I say that speed is not sustainable - that is not a knock on Rogers, it is just a fact that there are very few sites that you can go to and download at a speed of more than 100 Mbps. So I am saying that in practice the increase from 150 Mbps to 250Mbps doesn't help you much.

I use Bitkenix to do multi-segment FTP to a server in Europe. With these multi-segment FTPs I max out at just under 10 MBps(80mbps). But apparently the speed of FTPs is affected by latency so FTPs to closer sites might work better.

@yyzlhr - Doesn't Rogers charge the same price for 150/10 as they do for 250/20? And can you get the unlimited data if you don't have home phone with Rogers? So isn't the 250/20 1TB service $125 whereas 150/10 unlimited is $1545 ($125+$30 for unlimited)?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Yes it is the same price for the 150/10 and 250/20. You can get unlimited without Home Phone for $30. When you said you didn't need the speed, I was thinking you could downgrade to Extreme or Extreme Plus and get the unlimited add-on.

kibosh
join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

kibosh to MarSin

to MarSin
I currently have the CGN3 in gateway mode and setup my ASUS RT-AC66U in AP mode. Not the best, but a good compromise until they get the firmware fixed. Basically, the ASUS handles the wired and wireless connections and the CGN3 handles the NAT.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
I was wondering if the unlimited is even still available, I had a few CGN3 installs this week and the logic was to increase the customers cap.
These were customers with bundles (tv,phone and internet) so unlimited would be $10/month. ($30/month if you don't have all services).
I know for me, I downgraded to express and added unlimited, my monthly went up like $14 at the time, but without the possibility of the surprise "overusage" on my bill.

I've been to look into if unlimited is still available.. cause if it is, Rogers reps shouldn't be pushing the upgraded tiers/speeds before offering unlimited as a solution for 4 kids that are all Netflix users..
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Unlimited plans are still available. Reps, are however instructed to attempt to right size customers with non-unlimited plans first and then offer unlimited if all else fails.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I figured as much. Just the fact that when I got it, I found out from a customer. Shady business practice Rogers
MarSin
join:2012-01-21

MarSin to kibosh

to kibosh
Have you had any of the loss of connectivity issues leaving the CGN3 in gateway mode? Seems some users have weeks+ connectivity, others days.

Regarding the unlimited option, it is available for $10 additional in a bundle; i didn't go for it as I wanted to see my first month on the 1TB cap; I don't see myself going over but $10 isn't bad for peace of mind.

kibosh
Whitby, ON

kibosh

I have been up for 6 days in gateway mode. In bridge it would last for maybe 10 hours at a time.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to MarSin

to MarSin
$10 if you have digital TV and home phone, $30 if you don't.
LYuan
join:2014-01-24
Canada

LYuan

Apparently, there is a new firmware (4.2.4.2) out. Please check your devices, and test if pings to the gateway are more reasonable and if bridge mode is okay.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by LYuan:

Apparently, there is a new firmware (4.2.4.2) out. Please check your devices, and test if pings to the gateway are more reasonable and if bridge mode is okay.

Please do! Would love to know when this is fixed (still renting until this gets sorted out).

kibosh
Whitby, ON

kibosh

I just came to the realization that the web UI isn't crashing when I thought it was. If I log in and click on basic at the top and click on the DMZ tab, I thought the UI was crashing. Naturally after a bit you start clicking around and the UI just doesn't respond.

It actually works if you wait long enough. I timed it. . . it took 1 minute 18 seconds for the UI to respond after clicking DMZ (for me). So I was able to do some configuration but the lag is crazy long.

I notice that when you click on basic the connected computers table appears empty to me, but after waiting it eventually populates as well but you just need to click on something and then grab a coffee.

GI Suck
I Got Mail Yay
join:2004-01-14
Oshawa, ON

GI Suck

I think it's an HTML rendering issue. I noticed that things are not crashed. Even simply closing the browser and then going back works just as fine.

I'm pretty sure that these things are not well written to web standards. Even on home routers, I've seen this come up.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

Sometimes it is just really slow but I have seen it totally crashing the router and causing my internet connection to go down.
wayner92

1 edit

wayner92

No, it definitely fully crashes - just happened to me. I was in the Basic page and it stopped responding and my internet went down.

edit - It crashed about three times when I was trying to get it to Bridge mode. Finally succeeded and now I have nice fast pings to my router!