join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Oh great

I use comcast.net for e-mail. I now have great concerns. These data breaches are becoming a way of life.

What's next, a data breach at CVS and the world finding out I take antipsychotic medication along with all of my personal identifying information. It would not have been possible back in the '70s and '80s when that data was stored in a filing cabinet and transmitted by US Mail or Fax machine. Now the DEA allow prescribers to e-prescribe Schedule II drugs, which required a written prescription for as long as I can remember and could not be refilled without a new prescription. Now wait until hackers get into that and start diverting OxyContin.

Nothing is secure now, the only way we can secure our data is to sever the physical internet connection between the United States and foreign countries that are not trusted by the United States.

I think the issue with identity theft could be resolved if they banned online credit applications and went back to paper and in-person credit applications.

Back in the early '90s when I was young, identity theft wasn't a major concern. Most credit transactions were done by US Mail or in person. And you don't screw with the US Mail as you'll have the postal inspectors at your door.

Maybe we need to go back twenty years and go back to paper credit transactions.

I think the laws need to be updated to impose severe penalties for computer crimes. These aren't kids in possession of teacher passwords in public schools changing grades, these are organized crime rings doing severe damage and I think there needs to be severe penalties. Maybe computer hacking needs to be made a federal offense.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

2 recommendations

Maybe we should go back 20 years when we used cash and didn't spend beyond our means.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I use comcast.net for e-mail. I now have great concerns. These data breaches are becoming a way of life.

What's next, a data breach at CVS and the world finding out I take antipsychotic medication along with all of my personal identifying information. It would not have been possible back in the '70s and '80s when that data was stored in a filing cabinet and transmitted by US Mail or Fax machine. Now the DEA allow prescribers to e-prescribe Schedule II drugs, which required a written prescription for as long as I can remember and could not be refilled without a new prescription. Now wait until hackers get into that and start diverting OxyContin.

Nothing is secure now, the only way we can secure our data is to sever the physical internet connection between the United States and foreign countries that are not trusted by the United States.

I think the issue with identity theft could be resolved if they banned online credit applications and went back to paper and in-person credit applications.

Back in the early '90s when I was young, identity theft wasn't a major concern. Most credit transactions were done by US Mail or in person. And you don't screw with the US Mail as you'll have the postal inspectors at your door.

Maybe we need to go back twenty years and go back to paper credit transactions.

I think the laws need to be updated to impose severe penalties for computer crimes. These aren't kids in possession of teacher passwords in public schools changing grades, these are organized crime rings doing severe damage and I think there needs to be severe penalties. Maybe computer hacking needs to be made a federal offense.

Maybe as a starter you don't want to post that you take that medication on a public website. Imagine that.....
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
Fortunately I don't take painkillers, I had those when I had my wisdom teeth out and when I was done with them I flushed them down the toilet.

Screw the environmentalists, when it comes to discarding no longer needed narcotic medication I think flushing them down the toilet is the most secure way to discard them. I also black out the labels on the bottles with a Sharpie when I discard the containers.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

Expand your moderator at work

Riusaki

join:2000-09-14
Space
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Oh great

Why are you using your ISP's email for email?? You are a DSLR member aren't you? C'mon man!

Jovi
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA
said by Riusaki:

Why are you using your ISP's email for email?? You are a DSLR member aren't you? C'mon man!

I don't know if you remember this but this very website was storing passwords in plain text when it was hacked if I seem to recall correctly.

»thehackernews.com/2011/04/dslrep···nts.html
--
"Some people have no respect for logic."

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to JimThePCGuy
nah. let people spend beyond their means. They screw up their credit and make me look even better.
--
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

PlusOne

@comcast.net
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Maybe as a starter you don't want to post that you take that medication on a public website. Imagine that.....

+1

PlusOne

@comcast.net
reply to JimThePCGuy
said by JimThePCGuy:

Maybe we should go back 20 years when we used cash and didn't spend beyond our means.

+1

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList
Or just have enough money to pay the bills each month and have a little left over for something nice until something happens. That happened to me this month, the cat got sick so I'm out $400 at the Vet and counting (which is not a problem, considering you take on that responsibility when you have the furry friends) but the real punch in the face is my electric bill where they screwed up the billing (not my fault) so now I owe a ton of money to keep the lights on, and I pay my bills faithfully. And the issues with my grandma are making life real fun, NOT.
--

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY
reply to IowaCowboy
Well WHY do you use comcast.net for email? It is well known on DSLR that you should avoid using ISP email when possiblr

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to JimThePCGuy
said by JimThePCGuy:

No thanks. Cash is only for the financially irresponsible. I enjoy and take full advantage of my cash back rewards by paying with plastic. Nothing like free money for buying things I'd buy anyway. I haven't personally paid for anything in cash for 5 years now and am better off for it.
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL

1 recommendation

You do realize you are paying 7.5% on average more just to support the Credit Card system?
I fully believe the economic crisis is due in large part to people who think and act like you.
There is no such thing as a "free" lunch or money.
Those CC companies aren't loosing money but we the consumer is.

Happydude32
Premium
Hey, if price are 7.5% higher because of the existence of credit cards, only more the reason for me to take advantage of the offers, if I've got to pay 7.5% more, why not do all I can to alleviate that, right? If I didn't use plastic I'd still be paying the same amount with no benefit. So why not take advantage of it. I've received $2,000 in the past 4 1/2 years, working on another $500 right now, and I'm not too far off.

Credit Card companies can make their money on the deatbeats with their 25% APR. I could have paid for things with cash over the past five years and got nothing back, or paid with plastic and got something. Well, I am damn proud, if you blame the financial crisis on people like me. Someone who has absolutely zero debt, never missed a bill or been late with anything ever, someone who paid off a luxury SUV a full year before I had to, someone who will have a credit score of 800 prior to turning 30. Yes am I am to blame for financial crises all around the world LOL

I will continue to use my credit card for ever single purchase, including a 89 cent pack of gum at a mini mart. Thank you very much.
--

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
You are the credit card companies dream. You believe what they tell you.

Happydude32
Premium

1 recommendation

Can't say I give a shit. I have better things to worry about such nonsence that is well beyond my control. As long as I get my free $500/year, I don't give a rats ass. Credit card companies have been good to me.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
If I had a credit card, I'd rather have airline miles.

A trip to my hometown of Cedar Rapids, IA every year or two to catch up with old friends would be nice. But then there is the cost of a hotel room, rental car (unless you take their city buses that quit running at 6PM) and food.

Airfare from Bradley International Airport (BDL) to Cedar Rapids (CID) isn't cheap, it's almost $500 a ticket in coach.
--

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to Happydude32
What I a saying is that $500 is costing you $750. Do the math.

Happydude32
Premium
How is it costing me $750? If I didn't use my credit card, it's not like magically I'd be paying less for anything I buy.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
The original premise was everyone to go back to cash and yes you would be paying a lot less.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

2 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

the world finding out I take antipsychotic medication

That explains it.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

Happydude32
Premium
reply to JimThePCGuy
Everyone's not going to go back to cash. Physical money is an outdated medium that has no place in society. Physical money is only going to further be less relevant in day to day life, so just accept it.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
I love cash. It's anonymous. It's immune from data theft identity theft and data breaches.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

said by IowaCowboy:

That explains it.

Except here I'm known by a screen name and the city I'm from. With a few mouse clicks, I could change the town I am from. I could put Cedar Rapids, IA as my town for all I care.

A data breach at CVS would reveal my real name, my home address, my insurance information, my credit card numbers, my drug allergies, the prescriber of the medication and so forth.

Some people would rather have a data breach involving credit cards as you have zero liability for fraudulent charges. A health data breach can reveal some pretty embarrassing details, particularly involving certain parts of the body/diseases or mental health/certain behaviors/substance abuse.
--

Happydude32
Premium
reply to JimThePCGuy
I hate cash. Have your wallet stolen or lose it and have $60 bucks in it and you can kiss it goodbye. All I have to do is call the issuing bank and I don't lose a dime. Extended warranty protection on items. Better way of managing finances. Can't buy things online with cash. Have no reason to keep my purchases anonymous. And again, I don't get rewarded for paying with cash. But I do get inconvenienced when filling up at the pump by having to prepay.

Due to the federal protection on credit cards, I am about as worried about a 'data breach' on a credit card as I am about an airplane falling on my head when I got take the trash down by the road later tonight.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
I rarely use cash, I use my debit card for everything except for writing a few checks. The checks I write every month go to the landlord and to the burglar alarm company. Everything else is debit card.

If you have to prepay at the pump, just swipe the card at the pump then fill up. No prepayment required.

If I have cash on me I may buy a scratch ticket or a Powerball ticket, but just for fun. Lottery tickets are cash only in this state.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by ExoticFish:

said by IowaCowboy:

That explains it.

Except here I'm known by a screen name and the city I'm from. With a few mouse clicks, I could change the town I am from. I could put Cedar Rapids, IA as my town for all I care.

A data breach at CVS would reveal my real name, my home address, my insurance information, my credit card numbers, my drug allergies, the prescriber of the medication and so forth.

Some people would rather have a data breach involving credit cards as you have zero liability for fraudulent charges. A health data breach can reveal some pretty embarrassing details, particularly involving certain parts of the body/diseases or mental health/certain behaviors/substance abuse.

Hehe I'm just teasing.

There have been so many data breaches lately. They will only become more common unless new security measure are put in place. I NEVER use cash. If I ever end up with cash in my wallet it goes straight into my bank account the next time I'm out. I'm at risk, I know. I make it okay in my head though because of the "fraud protection" my credit/debit cards have. Smart ? Maybe not.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Happydude32
"All I have to do is call the issuing bank and I don't lose a dime."

So you are saying your time is worth nothing?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to ExoticFish
And this evening I picked up three prescriptions at CVS, one thing I like about them is their iPhone app where you can order prescription refills by scanning the barcode on the prescription bottle. I also have a CVS.com account where I can login and order refills from my prescription history.

I also get a text message when my prescription is ready. And I have my CVS loyalty card stored on my phone so the clerk can scan it but it's kind of hard at the drive-up window when I have to unhook it from the stereo and sometimes you get sun glare which makes it hard to scan.
--