Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Long story short, the day before we moved into our house the previous owner (family member) moved out so i had no time to professionally take time to set up the network and do things pretty. I had one afternoon to build a little wood rack and pull wire, Terminate & configure things before the data hungry family got settled in. also had to install the Nortel PBX & configure that alongside. its all worked fantastically without a problem so its been easy to ignore.

Well the whole family & extended family (via vpn) now use the file server to store and access music, Pictures, movie collections & desktop messaging (Nortel voice mail) so we all would love to speed things up and upgrade the local network to gigabit speeds.

in the near future a massive overhaul will commence so i thought i would share some pictures of the temporary network that has really served us well for the past 5 years.

Please keep "temporary" & "all in an afternoon" in mind when looking at the pictures because it is quite embarrassing!

Not pictured are a Nortel Contivity & Call pilot which are on the other side of the rack & impossible to get a picture of, the other two access points, computers in messy bedrooms & the dell Poweredge

3 Dell Optiplex GX620 SFF
1 Dell inspiron 530
1 Dell dimension E510
1 Dell dimension LX? (pictured in rack)
2 Dell latitude D620
1 Dell poweredge 840

Phone system is a Nortel MICS 7.1XC paired with a Nortel Call pilot 150 for voice mail, Auto attendant & desktop messaging.

All the machines are running Win 7 Enterprise minus the Dimension LX which runs Win 2K pro, One of the latitude's is running Win 7 Embedded standard & the Poweredge runs Win server 2008.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
I think the thing i cringed at the most was the unbalanced three way feeding from a 4 way!

Perfect place for a 6 way, as those high legs have 14dB of attenuation on the 3 way as is, *shudders*

Pegasus
Premium
join:2008-01-04
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Click for full size
said by Killa200:

I think the thing i cringed at the most was the unbalanced three way feeding from a 4 way!

Perfect place for a 6 way, as those high legs have 14dB of attenuation on the 3 way as is, *shudders*

Pretty she isn't! hey its a miracle it all has worked without a breakdown ever.

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state
reply to Pegasus
Wow. How much does having that Norstar at your house kill you for power. I'm pretty impressed.
Expand your moderator at work

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to Pegasus

Re: My temporary network 5 years later.

Anyone who eats at Carbone's is alright in my book Best pizza EVER!

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to calvinj
Thanks, The power consumption isn't really the bad. The bill only jumped up 15 bucks from the previous owner who didn't use A/C, TV or computes. Considering all the gear just mentioned in my post plus all of our tv's & other gizmo's it cant be sucking that much.

There is a formula i used to know when i sold the Norstars that is something like X Watts for a 0X32 cabinet + X Watts for each line card, and on and on depending on configuration.

Pegasus
Premium
united state
reply to Happydude32
LOL you kinda freaked me out man!! i had forgotten the picture of the phone with out take out menu hoarding!

Agreed. The Tuesday pizza night deal is our weekly thing. They make a mean pie don't they.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Pegasus
Looks like you started out pretty good and then somewhere along the line a bottle or 2 of wine got opened and everything just came unraveled.

Looking forward to seeing the refined version.

edit: As much as I love BIX for Telco stuff, I'd replace it with a cat5/6 patch panel, it's so much better for AMC

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
haha no wine just drunk on tired. It was a rough one that's for sure. The next go of it should be a lot smoother since i can take the time & set everything up along side and take a few days.

Its in the plans to ditch the BIX and patch panel it out.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to Pegasus
Nice Norstar. I have a 616 (among other systems) here.

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Glad to know there is another Norstar fan around here! The 6x16 is a great system. a while back i had a call for either a 6x16 or 3x8 cant remember which but the system up time was all the way back to the 80's when it was installed.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by Pegasus:

Glad to know there is another Norstar fan around here! The 6x16 is a great system. a while back i had a call for either a 6x16 or 3x8 cant remember which but the system up time was all the way back to the 80's when it was installed.

I just upgraded my home norstar from a 6x16 that originally was DR1 (later upped to DR5) to a CICS. Love them, you cant kill these systems. Heck the amphenol pinouts are even the same on the BCM so you can use your digital phones on there. Im glad to see an american with BIX too!

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Wow DR1 & DR5! that's a blast from the past! The dependability of the Norstar systems and simplicity is what made them popular. Besides the modular design to suit many needs. I was very proud to sell them back in the day.

Before purchasing the MICS i was tempted by the BCM & Meridian 1 because i liked the IP phones. Went with the MICS because i really only had a basic knowledge of the Meridian & had None with the BCM, I think they either weren't selling yet or weren't very mainstream yet my last couple years i was selling Nortel.

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
reply to Pegasus
I should be getting a 308 this weekend off the wall of a phone room. My friend manages a couple office buildings, one tenant moved out and another moved in. The new tenant is using IP phones off the building management's Mitel 5000.

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Gotta love freebies! what station set's do you plan to use with it or already use with your 6x16?

telco_mtl

I have noticed on DR1 you can run almost all the phones, T series or M series but not the M7100 or the m7324. after i upgraded to DR5 no problems with those phones

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by telco_mtl:

I have noticed on DR1 you can run almost all the phones, T series or M series but not the M7100 or the m7324.

Or the T7406.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to Pegasus
said by Pegasus:

LOL you kinda freaked me out man!! i had forgotten the picture of the phone with out take out menu hoarding!

Agreed. The Tuesday pizza night deal is our weekly thing. They make a mean pie don't they.

Yep, I can recognize the smallest portion of their logo from a mile away. I could live on pizza and wings, and have never had anything I would consider better. I went to Alden High School and knew a lot of kids that had part time jobs at the Alden location, and I met Tony Carbone a few times, he even bought a full page ad in our high school year book from me. Very nice guy, only been to the Greece/N Greece locations a few times, never made it to Hilton location as I guess they are only open certain hours.

Curious as to the reason for the two modems. Is one strictly for data, and one for voice?
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
reply to Pegasus
I have a couple extra M7208s I can use.

telco_mtl

reply to Pegasus
never got to play with a t7406, i still have my norstar but im negotiating with the wife to let me put IP phones around the house. Testing with a few Yealink phones and a couple of cisco ATAs i have 1 AAstra phone, disapointed that using the provisioning templates you dont have as many options as when you set them up one at a time.

when i wear my phone guy hat i cant argue dollar for dollar norstars are the best deal, the price i can get a fully rebuilt M or T phone is a joke,

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

never had anything I would consider better.

I second that motion. The Greece Dewey location was my other pizza place when i lived on stone road. I used to feel so bad for those kids in the summer working in there.

said by Happydude32:

Is one strictly for data, and one for voice?

Yep. my owned Moto sacrificed itself during a lightning storm so i was given the Thomson and never trusted it for a second for data so i got the Arris for data.

Pegasus
Premium
united state
reply to jeffmoss26
said by jeffmoss26:

I have a couple extra M7208s I can use.

ah okay

jeffmoss26

Beachwood, OH
I got the 308 today along with the 3 7208s that were used with it.
It works well, still set with the default password, I want to do a factory reset on it thogh.

indigoblu3

join:2004-03-14
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to Pegasus
FWIW you should read about the use of Federal Pacific Panels that I see you have. I have one in my home and am replacing it ASAP.

FPE engineers would use remote controls to trip their panel's breakers during UL certifications. It is estimated that 1/4 breakers is faulty and will not stop overcurrent conditions.

They are now defunct, their UL certifications stripped, and breakers no longer being manufactuered leading to high part costs.

Scary Stuff....replace it if you can!

Pegasus
Premium
united state
reply to jeffmoss26
Ah your gonna have to run the PITA debug to get that thing to cold start or the battery short trick. I never understood why they didn't make the 3x8 upgradable. everything else had a software sleeve.

Pegasus
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to indigoblu3
Thanks for the heads up! but fortunately & unfortunately how ever you want to look at it, im privy to the infamous FPE panels.

its been tossed around the finance table many times spending the money to install a backup nat gas generator at which time i would have a new panel installed. The previous owner/Family member had some pretty bad experiences with unreliable power previously but since we have lived here there have been no power issues so it fell to the wayside. especially since the funds that we had planned for it went to a "surprise" roof tear off & new bathroom that we got ripped off on. that's for another Thread! LOL