Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

howi

join:2005-07-27
Mississauga, ON

[Modem/Router] Hitron CGN3 firmware updated to 4.2.4.2

Folks,

Just noticed the firmware version has been updated to 4.2.4.2...

02/07/14 03:04:35 69010100 notice SW Download INIT - Via NMS
02/07/14 03:08:18 69011100 notice SW download Successful - Via NMS

But I have not observed anything significant.

dtchmshkyan

join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

Gonna need to check Port forwarding has improved

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to howi

Bug fixes.
--
Hello

kibosh

join:2010-12-16
Whitby, ON

But most importantly does it address the bridge mode issue?

LYuan

join:2014-01-24
Canada

Yes...BRIDGE MODE.. that's the only thing that matters for me.

LYuan

Canada

Although, with the version number, it doesn't look like there is going to be any huge changes...

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

So how would you know that this happened if you are in Bridge mode?

The theory is that it will reset your modem back to Gateway mode. Then won't that F'up your LAN.

I posted this in the Rgoers forum:
I am in bridged mode and I have my Hitron connected to an Asus router with an IP of 192.168.1.1. Most of my PCs have static IPs in the range of 192.168.1.X

If I get a firmware update that switches me back to Gateway mode then won't it also reset the Hitron's IP address to 192.168.0.1 and set the subnet to 255.255.255.0.

Therefore all of my PCs will not be able to communicate with the Hitron. And then there is the issue that I have two DHCP servers fighting to issue IPs.

Isn't that correct?

wayner92

Toronto, ON

I am not home right now I am checking my LAN remotely, but I either haven't been upgraded or I was upgraded and I am still in bridge mode. I am able to access a port that isn't forwarded on the Hitron so it issn't acting as my router, my Asus is.

Is there any way to force an upgrade.

LYuan

Canada

I think it generally updates between 3-4am. Check tomorrow. I expecting mine to be updated overnight as well. I am in gateway mode, and it didn't come down for me last night. Nobody has come back with any results anyway. Given the version number, I would be surprised if anything was actually fixed in this update; probably some typo in the crashing interface.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2
reply to wayner92

I don't have any personal experience with this but why does a firmware upgrade have to revert your device back into gateway mode?

wayner92

Toronto, ON
reply to LYuan

Who knows that the numbering algorithm is. Fixing the crashing in gateway mode would be useful as a short-term measure.

wayner92

Toronto, ON
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

I don't have any personal experience with this but why does a firmware upgrade have to revert your device back into gateway mode?

I would agree but you can't tell what firmware you are running in bridge mode unless you wrote down that cable modem 7.whatever IP address when you were still in Gateway mode. You then have to set a static IP on that subnet to be able to log in.

FYI - this blog entry has info on how to do this for the CGN2, presumably it is the same for the CGN3. »www.mythos-rini.com/blog/archives/7431

kibosh

Whitby, ON

As a note, i had the cisco dpc3825 in bridge mode and it would take firmware updates and stay in bridge.

If the cgn3 does revert to gateway, just plug a pc directly into it and switch it back.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

Probably the default setting of the Bios=Firmware is Gateway mode...........

wayner92

Toronto, ON
reply to howi

My modem crashed again tonight so I hope I haven't been upgraded. I will go back to Gateway mode tomorrow to check.

LYuan

Canada

Anyone with the new firmware have anything to report?

wayner92

Toronto, ON

If you are in bridge mode how do you check your firmware? Do you have to do a factory reset?

LYuan

Canada

Yep - The first screen after you log into the interface will show you. Mine has not updated, but I'm thinking it'll be tonight...

BTW, after 2 weeks in gateway mode, my CGN3 just crashed and I had to reboot.

LYuan

Canada

Modem upgraded to 4.2.4.2 last night at around 4am:

Latency between LAN interface and internal network high as ever
There is still massive stalls when clicking around the interface in gateway mode
I just swtiched to bridge; we'll see in about 12 hours.

So far, I'm not sure this is the upgrade that we were looking for.

L.

wayner92

Toronto, ON

Does the web UI just really start or does it crash the way that it used to?

LYuan

Canada

exact same behavior.

mp1111

join:2013-11-25

Hi,

It looks like after this upgrade the home phone stopped working. After adding the IP of the ATA in DMZ we were able to finally register and now all outgoing calls are failing(disconnect) at 32 seconds.
I believe that there is some kind of SIP ALG or sip helper enabled on Hitron, however we are unable to access it to disable it. If anyone has any pointers, that will be great!

LYuan

Canada
reply to howi

So after a day of testing, I can confirm that this new firmware 4.2.4.2 does not do anything to resolve any of the following issues:

1) High latency between local devices and local LAN interface
2) Bridge mode crashing between 6 - 10 hours starting from a power cycle
3) Gateway modem UI, constant freezes, sometimes requiring a reboot.

It's pretty much what I would expect given the time frame. I would be curious to know exactly what was actually changed in this version.

L.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Very unfortunately that the bug fixes are not made public. IMO when they [the ODM's] generate the firmware their quality control mechanisms are VERY poor so its mostly trial and error that eventually gets the job done which causes end-user frustration and lots of support requests for the service provider.

Best approach is dedicated devices --- versus integrated devices where the level of complexity [integration] is much more expensive to engineer by qualified engineers.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

wayner92

Toronto, ON

I was upgraded at 3:20am (at least that is when my modem rebooted and I didn't do it myself). Sad to hear that it doesn't really fix anything, but that isn't surprising.

@mozer - What you say is very true, but the crazy thing in this instance is that when you simplify the role of the device and just use it as a modem it has more problems.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by wayner92:

What you say is very true, but the crazy thing in this instance is that when you simplify the role of the device and just use it as a modem it has more problems.

I discourage the use of the Hitron gateways because their quality is questionable more often than not.

The CISCO DPC3825 gateway is FAR more reliable as a BRIDGED device than any Hitron I've been exposed too. As a gateway the DPC3825 is horrible.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

wayner92

Toronto, ON

If I was in Ottawa I would agree as you don't have 250/20 1TB service yet, do you?

Here in T.O. Rogers forces you to use the 3GN if you want 250/20 1TB Ultimate service. As I have said in other threads the increased download speed from 150 to 250 isn't of much benefit to most since that is rarely your bottleneck. But if you use more than 250GB per month then having a 1TB cap is of a lot of value, since the price is the same for Ultimate 150/10 250GB as it for 250/20 1TB (with the possible exception of modem rental fee). And Rogers doesn't really make it easy for you to get 150/10 with 1TB. The other option is unlimited service but that runs you another $10-$30 per month.

One solution would be to let you use the Cisco device with 250/20 1TB but trying to talk Rogers into that seems to be very difficult. Who cares if it can't handle the speeds, just give me the higher data cap and upload speed, with I think it can handle.

LYuan

Canada

This is weird...My modem is magically back down to 4.2.4.1 - Awesome...

wayner92

Toronto, ON

Moi aussi.

It appeared to happen at 9:20 tonight. I keep a log of pings every 5 minutes and that is the only time that it failed today.

kibosh

Whitby, ON

I just got downgraded too! WTF?