lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

Anyone having connection issues in the Rio Rancho NM area?

I have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 Modem/Router in bridge mode, connected to a refurb Linksys E4200v2 Router. I've been having intermittent issues the past couple of weeks where I either lose connection or web pages will load slow. This happens both wireless and wired. I've power-cycled everything and it did not help. The lights on the modem are all on properly.

I was having problems all last night (I'm an insomniac ), which finally corrected itself around 7:00am.

Before I do any troubleshooting, I wanted to check to see if anyone else in my area is experiencing any issues. If not, I'll have to start the troubleshooting process. The only problem is that these issues are intermittent, so I'm not sure if wiring the Modem directly to my computer and resetting it will give me an answer. It may take some time to see if my Linksys Router is the culprit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
Hillary In 2016 - Any Tea Left Will Have Rotted By Then

anonyguy

@cableone.net

(in texas)

Only a past week or so issue where (using firefox) websites at night would auto add a .&=regular (or something similar) on the end, causing most any website to fail loading.

They say its a "DNS issue and they are working to fix it"
Also, speeds on the 50mbps residential goes around 10mbps or less during noon hours and a bit into the late night (6-7pm -> 11pm->1am)

mGr

join:2012-07-01
Columbus, MS
reply to lordpuffer

I'm in MS having similar issue.. Started about 6 weeks ago then it worked fine for a while. Now I'm getting horrible pings and packetloss.

A call to C1 reveals that it's a localization problem with overloaded nodes I guess, and "they're working on it" with no time frame. So i gotta deal with it.

MY guess is with everyone upgrading to higher speeds and doing more online things, demand has increased without upgrade to infrastructure..

Can only hope it's fixed ASAP.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Mine has been problem free since I posted the issues at 7:00am yesterday. I did call C1 the night I was having real problems. The rep I spoke to said that my area should not have any issues. I was using Vonage and the call dropped while talking to him.

I'll see how it goes the next few days. I think you are right that the increase in speeds needs an upgrade to the infrastructure. That's probably the cause.
--

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to lordpuffer

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Also place the VoIP device in the DMZ if that option is available on the Linksys router.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Thanks. I've been getting good service since I originally posted, and have been testing just about what I'm provisioned for (70/~6).

If things get bad again, I'll have C1 physically check things. I don't have a TV Line Splitter, so at least I don't have to worry about that being the problem.
--

liviorn

join:2009-06-21
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to lordpuffer

I'm from Rio Rancho. I had C1 for 4 year now and I rarely have problems with the connection (except for slower speeds during peak hours and outages during C1 announced maintenance, T-storms), but in the past 1 week members of the household reported they had problem with the Internet. Similar problem as you described. First time I noticed was on the Feb. 4th.
Web sites would not load, then, when refreshed, they would. Files not downloading. When canceled and restarted, they would. Most problems occurred over WiFi connection, but I experienced that myself once or twice with wired connection (not direct, but over my router). The other day, in the morning, it was in particular terrible (and noticeable) and everyone here was stressing over it.
I've restarted main PC, restarted my Buffalo router. I seems like it helped, no problems since then... but it might have coincided with the problems C1 had last week. We'll continue monitor for problems this week.

Also, that is on Business Suite package 30/2 + Zoom Telephonics - 5341 modem with an older Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router.

edit: I do have a line splitter too, but that was installed month ago and it wasn't an issue.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Thanks for your response. Since you were also experiencing problems, that gives me some relief that it is probably not my Router. Things seem back to normal now, but I'll post again when and if the problems start again.
--

liviorn

Rio Rancho, NM

I'm still experiencing problems here this week. Started Monday late evening and continues on Tuesday morning. Some pages take forever to load or "server not found" shows up, have to hit refresh for them to load. How about you?

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

I live in the NE area of RR. I haven't experienced any problems this week. It may be a very localized issue with your cable connection.

I would call C1 and tell them that you need a tech to come out and check the line coming into the modem, and any other possible reason for your service not working properly.
--

shilofax

join:2013-11-27
Long Beach, MS
reply to lordpuffer

Been having issues in South Mississippi for about 5 months now. Long Beach to be specific. Nothing has changed after countless visits from techs, calls to Cableone.

Constant 500ms+ ping, ~10% packet loss.

liviorn

Rio Rancho, NM
reply to lordpuffer

I finally called C1 and scheduled a visit. Here are some things I have learned from this visit (Thank goodness that both person on the phone for tech support and the tech who visited me were experienced.):
1) Having an splitter with an open end can indeed contribute to the signal loss (not a real issue), but we still got rid of that.
2) I had a RG-59 coaxial cable going from the wall to the modem, which is not recommended. For cable Internet I should have bought RG-6 coaxial cable and visited C1 office so that they would put a specialized fitting for both ends, otherwise signal loss will occur. Coaxial cable changed.
3) Luckily, on the day of the tech visit my speeds also dropped to a nearly 10 down / 2 up (should have 30/2). So we had to troubleshoot that as well. This time the culprit was my 5 year old router. That thing shows it's age. Speeds directly form the modem were just fine.
4) According to C1 tech, C1 does have an issue at this moment with some DNS servers. They are working on it and the issue should be solved soon. (They advised me to change preferred DNS servers under TCP/IPv4 to open DNS servers @4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 for the time being)
That explained some of the problems I had where websites would not load.
Anyhow, I had to re-initilize my router which solved the "router" problem for now, but the best thing would be to buy a new router or modem+router solution.
So with all the changes we've done, packet loss is almost gone 2-8 packet lost out of 84000 (pinging google.com) in the last day. Pings are better now as well. Speed test is fine, Transmission signal strength: was 36- 40 dBmV, now it's between 44.5 and 47 dBmV which is excellent.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

That's good to hear that your connection is much better. And thank you for the info.

I've been using Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), and my browsing seems faster.
--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID

2 recommendations

reply to lordpuffer

Can use this for finding other fast DNS as well:
»forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=53222.0

Idahospud

join:2013-06-11
Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

C1's DNS servers have some weird hiccups now and then. I had a time where it was having issues for several days.

Been using openDNS servers for a while, and they always work for me.

FYI 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 are Level 3's DNS servers not openDNS. For me L3's DNS servers are slower than openDNS but that depends on where you are at in relation to their servers.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to liviorn

I had some problems last night around 9-10pm with some sites being slow to load and some not loading at all. Everything is fine now. I don't know if it was a C1 issue or something with the Google DNS Servers that I'm using.
--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to Idahospud

Been using one of those same OpenDNS addresses. No issues with OpenDNS. I like them.