aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

aSic

Premium Member

Oh cant wait!

I see the day where Anonymous..or the Syrian Electronic Army triggers these kill switches and causes chaos...

Or the gummermint decides to "kill off" communications for a dissident group... #fail

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

said by aSic:

Or the gummermint decides to "kill off" communications for a dissident group... #fail

Bet the government does love the idea because it would give the NSA the ability to shut down all phones at any type of uprising.

PlusOne
@comcast.net

PlusOne to aSic

Anon

to aSic
said by aSic:

I see the day where Anonymous..or the Syrian Electronic Army triggers these kill switches and causes chaos...

+1
It will happen.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to aSic

Premium Member

to aSic
said by aSic:

...the day where Anonymous..or the Syrian Electronic Army triggers these kill switches and causes chaos...

Why wait for them, some entitled twit deciding THEY need more bandwidth to play games will trigger it, probably during a weather or other 'disaster' event.
Besides a real KILL switches needs some explosive or chemical/bio component to live up to its name and make buying/using/holding a stolen phone not worth it.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

2 recommendations

gaforces (banned)

Or just for the lol's. I remember when remote TV's and garage door openers came out, you could open anyone's door or change their channels jingling a set of keys.

It's much to dangerous to deploy this tech on cellphones and vehicles.
I'm not too worried about my cellphone getting stolen. So who is worried about this?
Insurance company's and law enforcement. Follow the money!

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to aSic

Premium Member

to aSic
said by aSic:

They can already do this through the carrier (instructing them to suspend accounts), they don't need the ability to do it at the handset level. Hackers, on the other hand...
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to tshirt

to tshirt
That sounds drastic. All that's needed is to design the SOC with an embedded fusible power link and a mechanism to blow the link in response to the proper command.

As long as the link is embedded in the chip, it's not serviceable.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to gaforces

to gaforces
You can still do that with a lot of TVs, STBs and such.