elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Subway uses chemical in bread found in Yoga Mats

Would you like a dose of carcinogens ,while you "eat fresh:?

SubwaY has been adding (to their dough) a chemical called Azodicarbonamide in their bread, it apparently acts as bleaching agent in the bread flour. It's also used in foam plastics , but I can't quite figure out it's role in that.

Due to a burst of anger by US consumers, they're now working on removing the chemical.

Subway said Thursday it’s in the process of removing a chemical from its bread as part of an ongoing effort to improve its recipes.

The announcement comes after a popular food blogger launched a petition this week asking the sandwich chain to stop using the ingredient, called azodicarbonamide. A representative for Subway says the change was underway before the petition was launched, but did not immediately provide details on when it started or when it would be complete.

“The complete conversion to have this product out of the bread will be done soon,” Subway said in a statement, without providing further details.

»business.financialpost.c ··· hemical/

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Jeez, WTF?

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Did you know the big commercial bakeries used Plaster of Paris in their bread for years?
It stopped air holes in the bread.

Not sure what they use now but I bet it glows in the dark!

FaxCap

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Over-reaction. It's generally regarded as safe at the levels used. Subway is removing it out of PR more than safety, I'd wager.

And just because a chemical has multiple uses doesn't mean any one use is somehow dangerous.

You buy an apple farm Elwood?

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Another thing pissing me off about our food supply. You buy a birthday cake at a major
supermarket chain. What they don't tell you are things like...where did the baking soda
come from....the vanilla extract....the raspberries in the filling? CHINA!

FaxCap

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Also watch out for the dihydrogen monoxide! They use that in all sort of things, like nuclear power generation and as a solvent.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

You buy an apple farm Elwood?

I'm taking over YOYO's farm

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Only an idiot would say a particular chemical was bad because of what else its found in.

Newsflash! Freshly squeezed Orange juice contains chemicals found in active nuclear reactors! We should immediately ban this dangerous substance, sometimes called "water".

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Newsflash! Freshly squeezed Orange juice contains chemicals found in active nuclear reactors! We should immediately ban this dangerous substance, sometimes called "water".

Pssst, I made that joke above.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

In the fast and furious high-brow discourse that is CanChat, sometimes things can get posted while you're working on one. I for example, type about 20 WPM with two fingers and a thumb.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra to FaxCap

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

raspberries in the filling

Haha, you should look up artificial raspberry/vanilla flavoring....
Castoreum, it's some nasty... shit.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
lol, I wonder if those same angry US consumers eat at McDicks.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

They probably do not and ate at Subway assuming it was healthier.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

said by FaxCap:

raspberries in the filling

Haha, you should look up artificial raspberry/vanilla flavoring....
Castoreum, it's some nasty... shit.

Eau du Beaver LOL
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

Another thing pissing me off about our food supply. You buy a birthday cake at a major
supermarket chain. What they don't tell you are things like...where did the baking soda
come from....the vanilla extract....the raspberries in the filling? CHINA!

I'm really surprised at how much of our food is coming from China these days. Take a look at frozen fish in your supermarket. I wanted to buy salmon, you'd think it would be from Canada. Nope, most of it was from China.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Whoopee, milk & soy are source materials for plastic. Real sourdough bread is made out of free range air fungus. The fungus that makes your feet and underarms stink is used to make Limburger cheese. Styrofoam is used to make KFC sporks, thermonuclear weapons and prepared salad containers.

Sheeple are stupid, ban stupid.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Eau du Beaver LOL

That's one job I wouldn't want...
Castoreum extractor.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Ian1

MVM

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by donoreo:

In the fast and furious high-brow discourse that is CanChat, sometimes things can get posted while you're working on one. I for example, type about 20 WPM with two fingers and a thumb.

I type plenty fast, but sometimes a decent time can pass between hitting reply and finishing your post, regardless of typing speed, particularly if you're doing something else at the same time and writing replies while waiting for other things to finish.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Re: Subway uses chemical in bread found in Yoga Mats

No wonder I feel so bouncy after eating at Subway.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Guspaz:

Some people find physical chemistry a challenge.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Some people find physical chemistry a challenge.

I see what you did there

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
What amuses me about this, is if you want to worry about stuff that may or may not be in your fast food, you need not look for less than 45 PPM of Azocarbonamide to worry yourself. The sodium, trans fats, sugar, pesticides on the veggies, possible e-coli on the veggies, and whatever nasties are on the surfaces cleaned by minimum wage teenagers should keep you busy enough.

yoyomhz
join:2003-02-15
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
One day I used my head. I wondered if I could make a sandwich
smiliar to a Subway but without the eighteen chemical additives, and without
the same ammonia that is found in farm fertilizer to make white flour look brown,
which tricks me into thinking I'm getting 'whole wheat' bread. What Subway, the
world's largest crap food company does - is criminal in my opinion. I'll never
eat there again.

so I bought a bunch of quality ingredients including heavy rye bread, organic tomatos,
pickles with no calcium chloride, - the only chemical was some nitrates in black forest ham.
And I figured out I can make a gourmet sandwich almost the size of a footlong subway for $2.25 - and it tastes twice as good.

Fast food - Never Again.

There has to be something wrong with people who buy that crap.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
actually most of it is caught locally and packaged in China. There is a difference

yoyomhz
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz to Riamen

to Riamen
so they catch it near fukushima and sell it in canada?

nice.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Yes,
How I want my tax dollars spent.
Test every food product coming into Canada from China (from fish products to veggies etc).
They have no standards, no safety, and are killing themselves, their land and water with poisons and toxins, be it from chemicals or natural byproducts from humans and animals.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Anav:

Yes,
How I want my tax dollars spent.
Test every food product coming into Canada from China (from fish products to veggies etc).
They have no standards, no safety, and are killing themselves, their land and water with poisons and toxins, be it from chemicals or natural byproducts from humans and animals.

That's why it's so cheap to buy from China, none of that pesky "red tape" to get in the way.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to yoyomhz

Premium Member

to yoyomhz
said by yoyomhz:

And I figured out I can make a gourmet sandwich almost the size of a footlong subway for $2.25 - and it tastes twice as good.

Fast food - Never Again.

Seriously---open a sandwich place along with the farm.

Call it Yo-Way, as in "We make food Yo-Way".

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

$2.25 is the cost of materials,then tack on labour, rent, utilities, and other overhead and volia you have a $6 sub.

yoyomhz
Beverly Hills, CA

yoyomhz to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
SubwaY has been adding (to their dough) a chemical called Azodicarbonamide in their bread,

I'll never understand why the people so willingly take crap like that. I'm sure restaurants
in Europe can make a sandwich without adding carcinogens. And we can do it here too.