how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cj4331

join:2014-02-07
Greensboro, NC

[TW] DNS problem?

I have Earthlink internet running over Time Warner cable. Recently I have experienced where I can't connect to any site on the internet--not even www.google.com. And this happens on all computers in the house. It times out like I've lost my connection with the internet. However, during this same time my email client can still contact gmail via POP and download messages and my VOIP phone works--so the internet is not down, down. I think it's a DNS problem but tech support call center people insist on resetting my modem then when it doesn't work have someone to come out and check it in a few days. It always starts working again in a few hours.

I have an ARRIS cable modem with a Netgear router plugged into that. The VOIP phone box and one computer are wired ethernet to the Netgear router and the other PC is wireless to the Netgear router.

The PC show my Netgear as their gateway. I think this is correct.

The netgear allows me to choose to get the internet IP dynamically from my ISP or set it manually. I use the dynamic setting as the internet IP they provide me is subject to change. I notice that if I chose manually they have 3 settings: IP address, IP subnet mask, and gateway IP address. What is the gateway IP address?

Next, the netgear allows me to choose to get the DNS address automatically from the ISP or provide 2 addresses manually. I was using automatically but I'm thinking if I'm right and their DNS servers are having problems I might want to provide some--maybe Google's--manually. Any ideas?

Thanks!

edxyz

@24.136.240.x

I'm having similar DNS issues here in raleigh. Just came across this link for using google DNS on another thread on dslreports:
»developers.google.com/speed/publ···cs/using
I just switched and it's working, so far so good.
I can't think of any good reason to use earthlink's DNS over google's anway, so hopefully this is a good long-term solution

albundyhere

join:2000-10-26
New York, NY
reply to cj4331

same here. its been going on for weeks now.

Lee NYC

join:2012-11-11
reply to cj4331

Same here in Manhattan, running Earthlink over TWC
Many websites blocked recently, so turned to Google DNS
Mac users often cite Open DNS, see
»discussions.apple.com/message/17···17854703
Interesting differences between IPv4 and IPv6

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to cj4331

EarthLink is having DNS problems a lot even right now. Argh!

albundyhere

New York, NY
reply to Lee NYC

good idea! added openDNS to my router and am back in bidnezz. thanks!

jcf228

join:2001-09-05
Brooklyn, NY

I think I'll do the same...this has been going on since last Tuesday night on and off. My connection is fine but the DNS lookup just isn't happening...

cj4331

Greensboro, NC
reply to cj4331

Thank you everyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I started using Google's DNS servers--no problems so far.

I not sure what all changed when I switched from TW "high speed internet" to "Earth Link internet". I figure the DNS service must have but beyond that I don't know. When I switched to Earth link, TW reset my modem remotely and that was it. TW one minute Earthlink the next. Beyond that, my bill which still comes from TW now says I'm getting "Earth Link internet" where it used to say "high speed internet". Speed tests are faster now but I can't see any change in performance of browsing or even watching videos at all. I suspect all that means is I don't really need all this extra speed anyway. As for other stuff like email addresses and antivirus etc that TW provided--I never used it so I didn't care that it was gone.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

Just input OpenDNS in your router settings and never worry about Earthlink's crappy DNS.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by tonyram57:

Just input OpenDNS in your router settings and never worry about Earthlink's crappy DNS.

Need to sign up an account to avoid this:
C:\util\dig>nslookup abcdzxxyx.org. 208.67.222.222
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    abcdzxxyx.org
Address:  67.215.65.132

Performing 'nslookup' on a non-existent domain should not result in an IP address!

Google does it right at the outset:
C:\util\dig>nslookup abcdzxxyx.org. 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

*** google-public-dns-a.google.com can't find abcdzxxyx.org: Non-existent domain

Level 3 also gets it right:
C:\util\dig>nslookup abcdzxxyx.org. 4.2.2.1
Server:  a.resolvers.level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.1

*** a.resolvers.level3.net can't find abcdzxxyx.org.: Non-existent domain

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

cj4331

Greensboro, NC
reply to cj4331

Just letting everyone know that I'm still using Google's DNS and haven't had any problems. I'm happy. Thanks everyone for the help.

albundyhere

New York, NY
reply to cj4331

seems like the problem is still persisting. i had to set the dns back to automatic since time warner's cr@ppy motorola modem wont allow my netgear wireless n router to get wlan service by setting my own dns.

i am so contemplating this RCN service ad in the paper for $49.99 that includes 110mbps AND a digital cable tv box with basic channels.

System

(topic move) Earthlink Email Issues

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »Earthlink Email Issues