Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

1 recommendation

Kardinal to Icarus

Mod

to Icarus

Re: [Chat] Olympics? Anyone watching?

That's not Team Canada at the Olympics, that's the team of skip Rachel Homan (on the right) who just won their second Scotties Tournament of Hearts as Canadian women's curling champions. This is the Canadian team at the Olympics, lead by skip Jennifer Jones (on the left), right after they won the right to represent Canada in Sochi:

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

Close enough!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

2 recommendations

squirt to Icarus

MVM

to Icarus
Good old Canadian ingenuity, eh? (thanks to BadHat for pointing this out to me ... now I bet he wants to borrow my passport ... _

»dailycaller.com/2014/02/ ··· -fridge/

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

rusdi to Icarus

MVM

to Icarus
Those Canadiadians are kickin' some arss in the games this year!! Lots o' gold to take home to the Great White North!

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place

1 recommendation

BadHat to Icarus

Premium Member

to Icarus
I try not to watch the evening news, so I can be surprised.

Memyself
@209.226.201.x

1 recommendation

Memyself

Anon

Watching Canada play hockey while waiting for my flight back home ...

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

1 recommendation

Icarus

Mod

Im watching mens figure skaters fall on their backsides A LOT! And I have Curling DVR-ed for later!

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

6 recommendations

Santa Fe to Icarus

to Icarus
Click for full size
Okay, I just figured out WHY Icarus See Profile is SO into Curling!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
Out Grazing

squirt to Icarus

MVM

to Icarus
Big news on the Olympic front: Slovenia got its very first win in Olympic hockey. 3-1 over Slovakia.

A cool milestone.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

1 recommendation

Icarus

Mod

And the US beat Russia in Hockey after an 8 inning shootout! Not a huge hockey fan but that was exciting to watch!
Icarus

Icarus to squirt

Mod

to squirt
OH! And apparently were playing Slovenia tomorrow!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
Out Grazing

squirt

MVM

Somehow I doubt that Slovenia will get their second win ever in that game ...

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to Icarus

Mod

to Icarus
The Slovenia win over Slovakia was their gold medal of the tournament, and they also held Russia to a 1 goal win. I was watching the SLO-SLK game early this morning and it was noted that there are 943 hockey players in all of Slovenia, and the team had only one NHL player on it.

NHL Players

Slovenia: Anze Kopitar (LAK)

Slovakia: Chara (BOS), Hossa (CHI), Handzus (CHI), Halak (STL), Budaj (MTL), Meszaros (PHI), Tatar (DET), Sekera (CAR), Marincin (EDM), Visnovsky (NYI), Kopecky (FLA), Panik (TBL)

.....and after all these years, I still don't like ending a game with a shootout. It'd be like ending a baseball game after 10 innings by having a home run derby, or an NFL game with a field goal contest. Exciting? Yes, but it just ain't right.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

said by Kardinal:

.....and after all these years, I still don't like ending a game with a shootout. It'd be like ending a baseball game after 10 innings by having a home run derby, or an NFL game with a field goal contest. Exciting? Yes, but it just ain't right.

Baseball and football are relatively higher scoring games though. In hockey and even soccer a 1-0 or 2-1 game seems fairly commonplace. A game could last forever I would think. Defense is so much a part hockey I would think compared to baseball or football. I know soccer is all defense after a leading goal is made. At least thats how it looks to me.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

Shootouts only arrived in the NHL after the 2004 lockout. Before that, it was OT and then a tie, except in the playoffs where it is OT until a winner is declared (as it still it today). There were no "three point games" back then, and the end of the game came sooner than having a shootout after the OT period (which would be good for TV networks who like things to fit in specific time frames).

I'd say you see the same strategy use in defence in hockey as in soccer or football, but baseball is harder to quantify since it's such an individual battle (pitcher vs hitter) other than where the fielders are placed, until you complicate the equation with a base runner (stolen base, double play, etc). Still, the SO in the NHL is primarily to "have a winner" rather than to speed up the end of the game, and as a self-admitted hockey purist I don't like having a skills competition decide the outcome of a match. There's nothing wrong with a tie -- there are rules to decide 'tie breakers' in standings.

Canada vs Finland on Sunday is going to be a good game.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

Hockey game is 60 minutes. How long is the typical overtime?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

NHL regular season overtime is 5:00 of 4-on-4, followed by the shootout. The ice is not scraped / flooded for the OT but it is dry scraped down the middle for the SO.

NHL playoffs is 20:00 overtime periods until there is a game winning goal. A full intermission between periods occurs with a full scrape/flood of the ice by the Zambonis.

There has been some talk of the regular season going to 5:00 of 4-on-4 followed by 5:00 of 3-on-3 as the likelihood of a goal being scored in those 10 minutes is very high. There hasn't been real traction at the GM meetings on this yet though.

Back in Sochi, Sweden beats Latvia 5-3. Another goal for EK65 (Erik Karlsson)!

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

said by Kardinal:

NHL playoffs is 20:00 overtime periods until there is a game winning goal. A full intermission between periods occurs with a full scrape/flood of the ice by the Zambonis.

This is where I see a problem in an Olympic type setting. With games scheduled back to back to back,it could cause some real problems with scheduling and such. The 5mins of 4 on 4 sounds doable though and as a casual viewer it sounds like it would be exciting to watch.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Icarus

Premium Member

to Icarus
What's up with America's speed skating? I only saw a little of it, but they said something about the suits the Americans were wearing was slowing them down? I find that spot appealing because I used to roller blade speed skate (I had spent a lot of money on modifications of my skates, special bearings, pins, wheels... Back when I did that, when I lived in Silicon Valley, I could really get cranking, so I love to watch those speed skaters, I identify with them a little.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

I don't know what's going on with the US team, but the Dutch have been picking up medals left/right/centre with 16 in long track and 1 in short track (so far). They certainly know how to build a training and development program!

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

Icarus to signmeuptoo94

Mod

to signmeuptoo94
Theyre supposed to be the latest and greatest but they have a flap in the back thats supposed to let body heat out that is instead catching air and affecting mobility and slowing them down. In a sport where hundreths of a second can make a difference I guess its a real debacle for the team

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

3 recommendations

jopfef to Icarus

MVM

to Icarus
Got another one for you, Ick.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
Out Grazing

squirt to Kardinal

MVM

to Kardinal
And Slovenia makes the quarterfinals in hockey! Wow!

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

Yup, and Latvia has upset the Swiss team (big upset!), and Czech Republic have downed arch-rival/nemesis/former countrymen Slovakia.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
MVM
Out Grazing

squirt

MVM

Canada-Latvia 1-1 after 1 !

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

US vs Czech Republic 3-1 after 1

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

Freight Yard

Santa Fe

said by Icarus:

US vs Czech Republic 3-1 after 1

Well, I hope if one of the US players knocks over one of the opposing players, that the CZECH doesn't bounce!

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
Off Center

Icarus

Mod

Bad czech?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to Icarus

Mod

to Icarus
Is the defensively minded line of team USA that goes up against the top scoring line of the other team called the CZECH-ing line?

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

Freight Yard

Santa Fe

And who pays the CZECH anyway?