Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB

Premium Member

Canadian Film Producers want a netflix "tax" and to stop vpn to us netflix

»gigaom.com/2014/02/07/ca ··· lix-tax/

Are they serious? If they pulled this off it would nearly kill netflix in Canada. Its people like this is why people get vpn access to watch us netflix in the first place.

yuppers
@videotron.ca

yuppers

Anon

Re: Canadian Film Producers want a netflix "tax" and to stop vpn to us netflix

Yeah there is a movement that involves the usual suspects. As stated elsewhere in this forum, during the IIC conference Bel stated they want to move in this direction and get the gov to create new laws to prevent Canadians from getting content elsewhere.

You will see news come out of various players (and chambers of commerce in Ontario) backing this up and they will fund studies galore to influence law makers.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to BGB

to BGB
might as well create the great wall of china firewall , the way they want things.

have they asked what the customers want? nope... of course no one cares it is only about the corporations f'kers

yuppers
@videotron.ca

yuppers

Anon

said by LastDon:

might as well create the great wall of china firewall ...

All joking aside, that is the plan.

There is also proposals for fines (or outright blocking) is people use proxies/VPN's and other methods of obtaining content not sold by either Bell, Rogers or whoever in Canada.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to BGB

MVM

to BGB
VPNs are likely only used by a minority of Canadian customers. When your subscribers account for a double digit percentage of the Canadian population, most of the subscribers won't be technically savvy enough to use a VPN. They're people like my parents who couldn't turn the home entertainment system on if the Harmony remote didn't do it for them.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

If they want income from Netflix, then they should negotiate deals with Netflix to license the content. If they want to be paid more for it, then they should negotiate better deals with Netflix.

Not sure where they think that imposing a blanket tax to support their industry is a good idea, when the thing they're taxing is a paid/licensed distribution platform for their content....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by taraf:

If they want income from Netflix, then they should negotiate deals with Netflix to license the content. If they want to be paid more for it, then they should negotiate better deals with Netflix.

Not sure where they think that imposing a blanket tax to support their industry is a good idea, when the thing they're taxing is a paid/licensed distribution platform for their content....

Because it's like LPIF, SIM SUB and the various fees and taxes added to our entertainment, its a indirect subsidy that pads the bottom line of these companies that (on paper) couldn't survive without it.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth to BGB

to BGB

Re: Canadian private companies want more taxpayer subsidies

I am a firm believer in Freedom of Communication. And I will not let scumbag corporate a-holes take that away. When laws are created in the name of censorship, people need to get those responsible put in prison for their crimes against the Charter.

If Canada can not provide a product or has multiple restrictions and extreme high costs to get that product, We will digitally pop on over to another country to get that product.

Oh but a free market is unfair to these Canadian corporations whose tiny and sometimes shitty video productions would quickly die off without being taxpayer highly subsidized.
When all the Canadian stations just buy the U.S. video product and then censor the U.S. channel during the playing of that bought product, that is the crime of censorship that is fully endorsed by the corrupt government.
Bhell is working bribing to make it illegal to view U.S. TV stations in Canada, but does not have the balls to stop rebroadcasting U.S. TV stations on their Cable networks. Include Shaw and Rogers who don't have to provide U.S. stations and could delete all of them today, from their channel lineups, if they wanted.

Bhell wants to make a crime of streaming videos from other countries, as it hurts their greedy investors profits. They scream that they bought the Canadian airing Rights from place you are streaming from.
They are calling streaming 'an illegal download', because of your 'buffer'.

The Canadian Charter's Fundamental Freedoms:
freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

paddy_g
@206.47.249.x

paddy_g

Anon

well technically a USA vpn is technically illegal, your breaking the law, you live in canada and should access net flicks canada, but your accessing net flicks usa. so i feel instead of a tax, sue the people who break the law, law is there for a reason and those who break it choose to do such and should be punnished

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

said by paddy_g :

you live in canada and should access net flicks canada,

Well then I'd better not go to a movie house when I am in the U.S. , As I'll be arrested for viewing that content in total disregard of that content playing in a Canadian movie house.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it's really no different than the grey-market satellite dishes people had in the 80s/90s. you'd see houses with those big giant dishes that were getting signal from US providers, it was so easy to spot.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame to paddy_g

to paddy_g
Laws and Statutes of the land equal not the Terms and Covenants of a private company.

Bhell is working to bring the above to equality,
paddy_g is acting like they succeeded.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to BGB

to BGB

It is getting out of hand

that Corporations are entitled to make LAWS for Canadian Citizens.

Can we start making some laws about Corporations?

I am sure they would not like that.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

You should watch Continuum , while it's currently fiction,you watch it's going to happen. This has been going on for years in the US and now they've found a receptive ear with Harper and his minions.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

yes and robocop was pretty good scifi in the early 90s but it seems pretty accurate with Detroit city these days
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to BGB

to BGB
Sure I would start using Netflix Canada more but the fact is I have to surf the variations of netflix around the world to get the content i want.

I am the consumer if I cant get what i want then i will look elsewhere.

All these attempts at restricting content just encourages people to use non legit sources but then again non legit sources are free advertising.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to BGB

Premium Member

to BGB
meh won't happen so no worries I will watch what I want when I want.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord to BGB

to BGB
Good luck with that, Canadian Film Producers.

Treegravy
Premium Member
join:2011-04-21
Canada

Treegravy to BGB

Premium Member

to BGB
Don't make me angry, CFPs. That's all I'll say about that. And oh, try to stop VPNs for consumer use? Businesses only, you say? Sure thing boss.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
And that is what they don't understand. We don't have the time to fit our viewings in a particular slot of time, or hope that someone picks up the Canadian rights to a show overseas.

They need to realize if they put EVERYTHING on DEMAND, they'll make more money. I watch so much decent British drama, we'll never see it here.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

2 recommendations

HeadSpinning to BGB

to BGB
Subsidization of Canadian productions just lowers the quality. Quit the subsidization, an let Canadian content survive on its own merit.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to BGB

Premium Member

to BGB

Not going to happen. Netflix doesn't even touch Canadian borders.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by BACONATOR26:

They're very careful of that. They don't peer in Canada or operate any network facilities. I'm sure their tax lawyers wanted to make sure they have no "nexus" here.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB

Premium Member

said by HeadSpinning:

said by BACONATOR26:

They're very careful of that. They don't peer in Canada or operate any network facilities. I'm sure their tax lawyers wanted to make sure they have no "nexus" here.

Well technically it could be argued that any "Open Connect" equipment that a Canadian ISP has could be Netflix touching because Netflix supplies the equipment to the ISP to put in their data center to access the Netflix service.

(And if anyone is interested, came across this which lists what the hardware is. »signup.netflix.com/openc ··· hardware)
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to ilianame

Premium Member

to ilianame

Re: Canadian private companies want more taxpayer subsidies

said by ilianame:

Laws and Statutes of the land equal not the Terms and Covenants of a private company.

Bhell is working to bring the above to equality,
paddy_g is acting like they succeeded.

Actully what you describe is the basic concept of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), which Dear Leader Herr Harpler is negotiating in secret. It's the climax of a corporatist's wet dreams.
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

sparky007 to BGB

to BGB

"The group also wants Netflix to take a tougher stance against VPN services that allow users to access the company’s service in other countries, possibly to make sure that Canada’s users don’t access U.S. films that haven’t been licensed for their country yet."

Typical dictator statement.. Content and information control.

Good luck with that... Even China can't control it.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to BGB

Premium Member

to BGB
Meh,

I think the usual suspects are shooting high so they can accomplish very little, which is probably secure some sort of small levy from Canadian ISPs.

Graham Henderson, being the lawyerly fellow that he is, knows very well that there's nothing they can do to influence foreign companies, other than leverage content, which would only drive more Canadian customers to foreign Netflixes and other foreign VoD providers. His other option is to start maintaining a Canadian version of the USTR Special 301 list, but seeing as this accomplishes very little for the United States (a country with some influence) I doubt it would accomplish very much for Canada, a country with somewhat less influence on the world stage.

In a nutshell everyone here is blowing smoke out of their asses, and they know it, they just need to do something to justify their continued existence (and salaries) to their stakeholders.
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

sparky007 to BGB

to BGB
" English-language filmmakers in Canada, wants to tax Netflix’s service, and force the company to invest in local film production."

You must show our useless crap first before showing what the public wants.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to BGB

to BGB

said by BGB:

Well technically it could be argued that any "Open Connect" equipment that a Canadian ISP has could be Netflix touching because Netflix supplies the equipment to the ISP to put in their data center to access the Netflix service.

(And if anyone is interested, came across this which lists what the hardware is. »signup.netflix.com/openc ··· hardware)

Depends - they may have a different agreement for Canadian ISPs. The hardware might not be owned by Netflix in that case.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by HeadSpinning:

Depends - they may have a different agreement for Canadian ISPs.

The open connect agreement is the same for everyone (at least that's how it looks like on their documentation) so I don't see how it could be different for Canada specifically.

I would assume that if these demands came to pass, Netflix would simply stop offering open connect to Canadian ISPs in order to reduce liability...

By offering Open Connect Netflix is doing ISPs a favor by reducing ISP costs, it could just go back to doing things the old way, and not have to comply with any of these agreements.

You run an actual ISP how do you feel about Open Connect and it's impact on your business?