uniqs
hmspe
Premium Member
join:2007-07-01
Temple, TX

hmspe

Premium Member

Consistency of Service with test.lvcm.com

I'm seeing CoS of about 83% down and 43% up on recent tests. Is this normal?

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Wow, I just fell down a half a hour rabbit hole trying to define the difference between CoS and QoS. From what I can figure CoS is the process of marking the packets at layer two of the OSI model so that QoS may prioritize traffic at later levels. Maybe think of it as QoS being the traffic light, and CoS being the sensors and computer system behind the traffic system?

Im not sure how it relates to results though, so I welcome someone else's expertise. What I can say is negative QoS results are often related to the way most broadband internet works. For example, say if your Tier grants you 50Mbps. The modem may allow your traffic to go 150Mbps for the first 100ms then throttle you down to a lower speed for the other 900ms, giving you an average of 50Mbps. This creates eractic (but not necessarily negative) results for the QoS test. This is also done further down the line on Cox system so that Cox can manage and prioritize the traffic as it crosses their network. Finally, the whole thing is further complicated by speedboost, which allows for speeds above your internet tier for short periods of time.

As a general rule of thumb, as long as my latency is low and consistent, and my throughput is good, I don't worry that much about CoS/QoS.