IntraLink
MVM
join:2002-08-14
Uath Valley

IntraLink to Bigpaddy_Irl

MVM

to Bigpaddy_Irl

Re: Looking for MT core sitting on 300Mb+ symmetrical

Ah, I added a bunch of firewall rules and it kill anonymous btest to it.

It should be open again, try it now.
Bigpaddy_Irl
join:2005-12-12
Ireland

Bigpaddy_Irl

working again, thanks.
I am only able to receive 70Mb from it, I think my isp is falling short of what they should be providing.
What bandwidth is this sitting on?

tmcdon
@209.60.136.x

tmcdon

Anon

I'm testing at ~95 both up and down simultaneous.
If I remember correctly he posted further up that it was on a 10gps link.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

About 140mbps at most download for me.

IntraLink
MVM
Uath Valley

IntraLink to Bigpaddy_Irl

MVM

to Bigpaddy_Irl
The internet basically sucks at anything over a few hundred meg.

There are so many peers and paths out there, and even thought the ends might be 1 or 10 or 200+gbps, that doesn't necessarily mean the entire route can handle that traffic.

This is why having your own dark fiber from coast to coast is becoming more and more important. Cutting out peering and middle men helps a ton in getting throughput consistent.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

You dont need dark fibre to guarantee throughput.

Leased wavelengths on another providers fibre, or dedicated circuits on another providers transport infrastructure are both 100% capable of guaranteeing you throughput at the speed you are purchasing.

IntraLink
MVM
Uath Valley

IntraLink

MVM

That's true. Although I would hesitate to use 100% with anyone's network, lol!

The more control you have over the transport medium and connecting switches/routers the better success you'll have.

I think too many providers have uneven peering and are under capacity on their switches and routers. This becomes more obvious as you try to reach further across some segments of the internet. It's terribly inconsistent, and there is no way currently to tell who is the bottleneck bandwidth wise.
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

BlueC

Still, wavelength services really aren't subject to peering congestion. You have a lit wave end-to-end.

Dark fiber (if you can gain access to it) will be a significant premium over a single wave. So unless you plan on leasing out wavelength services to other providers, leasing dark fiber will be used rather inefficiently. I'm speaking long-haul specifically. Metro dark fiber is a bit different.

You should only have to worry about uptime on a wavelength service.