join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Mazda3 key programming

I don't know why I suddenly started thinking about this, but here's what I'm wondering...

I've got a 2006 Mazda3 I bought used and only came with one key. The key is a transponder type.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to lose the key and need another one programmed, could a dealership other than Mazda do the programming, or does it absolutely have to be a Mazda dealership?

I'm asking this, because I moved a few months ago and the nearest Mazda dealership is a 12 hour drive away!!! Needless to say, it would suck if I had to get the car towed to a Mazda dealer because of a lost key!

Local dealerships are Buick, Chevrolet, GMC, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ford. That's it.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

A few years back, wife lost her only key for her 2003 Ford Focus at the Mall on a Sunday. Called AAA and they sent out a locksmith and we got 2 keys made and programed on the spot.

Needed an extra key for 2002 Ford F150 and went to a locksmith to have it made and programmed.

Both a lot cheaper than what the dealer wanted.

Checking Ebay there are Transponder Key Blanks starting at $11.00 for Mazdas.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state

Rungel to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
I would call the locksmith up and ask if they can do that.. I know my locksmith couldn't for my 2004 accord at the time.. maybe he could today..

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
Key programming on all makes requires dealer (or rather I should say 'Manufacturer') specific equipment. Equipment that could be acquired by locksmiths but is terribly costly. Older model vehicles you'd be in much greater luck of finding a locksmith that could to it. Newer models I'd wager a guess at it being harder unless it is a popular or otherwise well known 'smith. Or if newer years of a given make and model share the same system of an older year but that is sometimes hard to tell without intimate knowledge of the vehicle.

With that said, seems the Mazda's of that vintage share the same transponder system as Ford's so you'd very likely be able to find a locksmith anywhere that could do the programming. Ford's 'passlock' system is very common and covers a wide range of years and possibly all models and as noted, crosses over to many Mazda'a as well.

And just a side note as a Ford owner and experience with this system: Get 3 keys made and programmed. Will be a bit costly at first but save you money down the road. If you have 2 programmed keys, you can self program extra keys (I forget what the limit is). So having 3 programmed keys would allow you to lose one and program replacements without a locksmith. Keep one in a very safe place that you'd be able to find later.

Here's a link to the self-program procedure and I can attest to it being the same exact method I have to use: »www.mazda3forums.com/sho ··· t=205734
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to TheMG

to TheMG
I thought newer cars have a more stringent anti-theft process that one must go through for a key? Example, I see my neighbor's nice 2014 Mercedes S class sitting in their driveway (ok, it's a Subaru) and I walk up to it, write down the VIN, and go to MB and tell them I lost my keys, make me a new one. $100,000 car in my garage now.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy

MVM

Most dealerships in my area require proof of ownership, such as insurance card or registration info that includes the VIN number and your drivers license. They make copies to keep with the invoice for the key for their protection. If your name doesn't match what comes up for the VIN when they check for the key code to cut it, tough luck, your not getting a key made

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by santy:

Most dealerships in my area require proof of ownership, such as insurance card or registration info that includes the VIN number and your drivers license. They make copies to keep with the invoice for the key for their protection. If your name doesn't match what comes up for the VIN when they check for the key code to cut it, tough luck, your not getting a key made

That has been my experience as well.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Vchat20

to Vchat20
said by Vchat20:

And just a side note as a Ford owner and experience with this system: Get 3 keys made and programmed. Will be a bit costly at first but save you money down the road. If you have 2 programmed keys, you can self program extra keys (I forget what the limit is). So having 3 programmed keys would allow you to lose one and program replacements without a locksmith. Keep one in a very safe place that you'd be able to find later.

Here's a link to the self-program procedure and I can attest to it being the same exact method I have to use: »www.mazda3forums.com/sho ··· t=205734

For my 2008 MY Ford Fusion I know the limit is five programmed keys (two as provided and three owner programmed) before you have to go back to the dealer.

If you're the original owner and you lose five keys throughout the time that you own the car, I'd be slightly worried...

NefCanuck
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Well, I guess I'll just order a blank online, get a locksmith to cut and program it, if they can. If they can't program it, then I'll just have the dealership do the programming when I travel down south this summer.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't even bother. I don't have a habit of losing keys and I'm the only driver of the car. Had it for 3.5 years already, with only the one key.