Amadauss
Premium Member
join:2006-11-27
Coopersburg, PA

2 recommendations

Amadauss

Premium Member

[Equipment] I am very happy

After having my 75 MB speeds from RCN for many years and never hitting that number but coming very close, I usually blamed RCN for the speed drop offs and the thought that I told all my neighbors about the speeds with rcn and they all switched over and my thought was they were using up all the bandwidth . I have their latest modem and was using a Linksys router. Decided to switch routers because of having some wireless issues with everyone connecting at home. Went to a Trendnet router, model TEW-812DRU after reading the reviews and PC Mag listing it as the best. WOW!!!! What a difference. My speeds are smoking fast, and the router is the best purchase I could have made. Everyone stays connected and I am the hero at home. And here is the crazy part, did the speed test on the RCN site and with the Linksys, I was always in spec but right now completely out of spec with this router, but it doesn't matter, still smoking fast. My next call is probably to a tech to see why out of spec but my guess would have to be the router settings. Anyway, before blaming rcn for the issues, maybe a new router could be the answer. It was for me.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 recommendation

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

I hear you on the older set-up - I recently swapped out my own dinosaur

Always kept the modem updated, but now have replaced the router. It's quite a difference
I went with an ASUS RT N66U Dual Band Wireless N

[OT] So glad to see you back - it's been a long while

cdr1000
join:2004-02-18

cdr1000 to Amadauss

to Amadauss
Care to elaborate your "After having my 75 MB speeds from RCN for many years" line?
How many years is many?
areyesrn
join:2005-12-24
Wilmington, DE

areyesrn to Amadauss

to Amadauss
which linksys router did you use? I have a Linksys/Cisco EA3500 that I'm pretty happy with...
mjr
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Bethlehem, PA

1 recommendation

mjr to Amadauss

Premium Member

to Amadauss
said by Amadauss:

... did the speed test on the RCN site and with the Linksys, I was always in spec but right now completely out of spec with this router ...

If you are talking about the three colored bars below the two speed dials, those three colored bars are reading information directly from your cable modem. They have nothing to do with your router. Your router CAN affect the speed you get on the two speed dials if it is a bottleneck, but it cannot affect those three bars on the bottom.

I'm sure if you switched back and forth between routers, you would see the router is not affecting those three bars.

It's great news you found what was holding your speeds back.

- Mike

BTW, what readings are you getting for those three values?
Amadauss
Premium Member
join:2006-11-27
Coopersburg, PA

Amadauss

Premium Member

Hi all, the Linksys router was the WRT 150N. Had some success with it but just not happy with the results. Also wanted to upgrade to a router that had a lot of features which this one does. Even during peak times the speed is great.
On the out of spec, when I first tested was in the red range on all three but go figure, just now when I did the test to give you accurate numbers, everything was in the green so all is well.
I have had the fast speeds for at least two years but Lil could probably be more accurate with the date because I had her help in some issues setting everything up and she corrected everything for me. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. It sucks getting old.
mjr
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Bethlehem, PA

mjr

Premium Member

said by Amadauss:

...I did the test to give you accurate numbers, everything was in the green so all is well.

Glad you are in business.