join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

new laptop - what are first things to do? install .. whats your game

my mom got a win 8 laptop ..

what are some first basic things to do?

make a backup?

what to install?

any good package - of getting the antivirus .. browsers .. player/codec .. etc ..

thank you ..
LocutusBorg
Premium Member
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

LocutusBorg

Premium Member

Format and reinstall the OS to get rid of all the bloatware

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by LocutusBorg:

Format and reinstall the OS to get rid of all the bloatware

+1. Immediately after reinstalling the operating system and all require drivers make a system image of that. Then start installing what software she uses. After all that is installed make another system image. Actually, depending on what she's used to I would consider installing windows 7 instead of reinstalling Windows 8 that came with the machine.

bbrcat
Remembering Lisa...
MVM
join:2000-12-09
FL

bbrcat to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
Also, be sure to run all pertinent updates( AV/Windows/etc)
LocutusBorg
Premium Member
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

LocutusBorg to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Format
Reinstall OS
Install all drivers
Install all updates
Install all Apps
Make 2 images of the drive
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

You do realize that package systems don't come with a real os disk anymore, and at the best they allow you to get is to make a recovery disk(s), which you can only hope actually works if needed in case of hdd failure right? Microsoft isn't just handing out the .iso for the oem disks either.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Set her up as a local account first, then add a Microsoft account if she wants to get the full use of the Metro tiles.

Figure out if there actually IS a lot of bloatware on the new computer. See if anything on there is stuff your mom might want before you decide to nuke it all.

My new Dell laptop wasn't loaded down bloatware. The usual stuff (Quicken, etc) came on a separate disk for me to load or not.

Make a backup.

Upgrade to Win 8.1.

Make a backup of that.

Run Windows Update.

Make sure that Windows Firewall is turned on.

Install an anti-virus program, if one isn't already installed. If one is, check to see if it is one that is rated highly by the membership here. Check to see how long its subscription lasts. Set any AV program used to auto-update. (Check out Purplus for software discounts.)

Install Spyware Blaster (free).

Install WinPatrol (free).

Buy and install the Pro version of either Malawarebytes Anti-Malware or SuperAntiSpyware so that it runs realtime (only the Pro versions do so). Set it to auto-update. Install the free version of which ever program you don't buy, to use as a secondary manual scanner.

If she's going to use the laptop in public places, install Zemana Anti-logger or another anti-keylogger.

I'd recommend installing Pale Moon as the browser, with the following extensions:
Adblock Plus, NoScript, Disconnect, Flagfox, WOT, NoSquint, QuickWiki, HTTPS-Everywhere. Pale Moon will remember passwords if you want, but make sure that a Master Password is enabled. Otherwise install one of the other password managers so she can use complex passwords and easily remember them. I've used Password Agent for years: »www.moonsoftware.com/pwagent.asp

Whichever browser she uses, check the various security settings. Don't accept third party cookies, turn on "do not track". Set permissions high enough to protect but not to interfere with normal usage.

If she's been using computers for years, install Classic Shell so she has the option of a familiar start menu if she decides she's not into the Metro tiles.

Depending how computer savvy she is, decide whether to set Windows Update and Flash to auto-update or just notify of updates. Ditto with Java.

Install VLC player, since it will play everything.

If she's into ebooks, install Calibre with Apprentice Alf's plug-ins. That will strip the DRM so she can convert Kindle books into epubs and vice-versa, allowing her to buy ebooks in any format and be able to read them on whatever ereader she has (if she has one).

Install 7-Zip which will unpack most compressed files.

Check her cable provider to see if they have a PC app that can be installed to watch TV on the laptop.

Install LibreOffice (free) if she doesn't use the Microsoft Office suite. Win 8 doesn't come with Microsoft Works so there's no free basic Word-type program installed.

If she likes games, get her a subscription to POGO and put a link for it on the desktop.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to inGearX

to inGearX
Win 8 installed first steps:

1. make a local account
2. run windows update until step 3 works.
3. run store app and update to 8.1

Win 8.1 installed first steps:

1. give win 8.1 a fake email until it finally gives up and lets me make a local account
2. run windows updates until fully patched
3. download and install Start8 and ModernMix
4. download and install an antivirus solution (check out emsisoft anti malware)
5. make a snapshot (check out macrium reflect)
6. enjoy

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
I just got a new Acer Aspire R7 and it has very little bloat. It would probably be easier to just remove a few things from the control panel. I remember the days where it would take a few hours just to boot a new laptop for the first time.

I'm really loving Windows 8.1 on the hybrid form factor. I'll never get another non-touch system.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
If it came from Best Buy throw away the HDD, get a new one, install OS without using any disk that was supplied by Best Buy.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX to bbrcat

to bbrcat
said by bbrcat:

Also, be sure to run all pertinent updates( AV/Windows/etc)

good point thanks
inGearX

inGearX to DownTheShore

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

Set her up as a local account first, then add a Microsoft account if she wants to get the full use of the Metro tiles.

Figure out if there actually IS a lot of bloatware on the new computer. See if anything on there is stuff your mom might want before you decide to nuke it all.

My new Dell laptop wasn't loaded down bloatware. The usual stuff (Quicken, etc) came on a separate disk for me to load or not.

Make a backup.

Upgrade to Win 8.1.

Make a backup of that.

Run Windows Update.

Make sure that Windows Firewall is turned on.

Install an anti-virus program, if one isn't already installed. If one is, check to see if it is one that is rated highly by the membership here. Check to see how long its subscription lasts. Set any AV program used to auto-update. (Check out Purplus for software discounts.)

Install Spyware Blaster (free).

Install WinPatrol (free).

Buy and install the Pro version of either Malawarebytes Anti-Malware or SuperAntiSpyware so that it runs realtime (only the Pro versions do so). Set it to auto-update. Install the free version of which ever program you don't buy, to use as a secondary manual scanner.

If she's going to use the laptop in public places, install Zemana Anti-logger or another anti-keylogger.

I'd recommend installing Pale Moon as the browser, with the following extensions:
Adblock Plus, NoScript, Disconnect, Flagfox, WOT, NoSquint, QuickWiki, HTTPS-Everywhere. Pale Moon will remember passwords if you want, but make sure that a Master Password is enabled. Otherwise install one of the other password managers so she can use complex passwords and easily remember them. I've used Password Agent for years: »www.moonsoftware.com/pwagent.asp

Whichever browser she uses, check the various security settings. Don't accept third party cookies, turn on "do not track". Set permissions high enough to protect but not to interfere with normal usage.

If she's been using computers for years, install Classic Shell so she has the option of a familiar start menu if she decides she's not into the Metro tiles.

Depending how computer savvy she is, decide whether to set Windows Update and Flash to auto-update or just notify of updates. Ditto with Java.

Install VLC player, since it will play everything.

If she's into ebooks, install Calibre with Apprentice Alf's plug-ins. That will strip the DRM so she can convert Kindle books into epubs and vice-versa, allowing her to buy ebooks in any format and be able to read them on whatever ereader she has (if she has one).

Install 7-Zip which will unpack most compressed files.

Check her cable provider to see if they have a PC app that can be installed to watch TV on the laptop.

Install LibreOffice (free) if she doesn't use the Microsoft Office suite. Win 8 doesn't come with Microsoft Works so there's no free basic Word-type program installed.

If she likes games, get her a subscription to POGO and put a link for it on the desktop.

wow thanks!!

great points!!
inGearX

inGearX to dib22

to dib22
said by dib22:

Win 8 installed first steps:

1. make a local account
2. run windows update until step 3 works.
3. run store app and update to 8.1

Win 8.1 installed first steps:

1. give win 8.1 a fake email until it finally gives up and lets me make a local account
2. run windows updates until fully patched
3. download and install Start8 and ModernMix
4. download and install an antivirus solution (check out emsisoft anti malware)
5. make a snapshot (check out macrium reflect)
6. enjoy

wow cool thanks!