Search similar:

uniqs
cwherb
join:2007-04-14
Arlington, TX

cwherb

Relocating 3600HGV and NID Rewire

Click for full size
I've wired my house with CAT6 and did a home run to a closet. I've also, since having the wire, run an extra line from the NID to the home run closet, so I can relocate the 3600HGV. My intentions are to hook the 3600HGV to the gigabit switch and put a wireless N access point in the house somewhere.

The 3600HGV is currently hooked to a phone jack. We do not use our phone system so I'd like to bypass the phone system completely and hook the CAT6 directly to the (or as directly as possible) incoming line from the pedestal. I'm not even sure this is possible.

Also, regarding terminating the 3600HGV RJ11 with CAT6. I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts regarding the order for the pair(s) of wires.

I've attached a pic of the NID interior. Thank you for any and all help.

Also, I'm certainly not opposed to calling out a tech, if need be. Just thought I'd give it a shot first.

Thanks,
Chuck

my thoughts

Anon

Ideally want to remove the ceramic protector on left side
Attach the blue, blue/white pair to the gep protector on left side, clear with big screw.
Remove the VDSL splitter, bottom on right side, has yellow ground strap.
Open the door of the line mod, orange right side and remove.
Insert the pair will use from new home run to closet, recommend green pair.
Recommend using 4th slot (far right), insert wire fully, push down
Run wire to right side, install door and close.

At closet recommend rj14 jack, attach green pair to blue pair location on jack.
Insert data cable into jack and RG, apply power, should have sync in about 3 minutes.

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel to cwherb

Premium Member

to cwherb
Click for full size

This is my bonded setup for power tier. Top photo, NID is inside my basement. YES, I have a circa 80's green air-core drop from pedestal...
Coming in on the drop is blue and green pairs for each "pair" from pedestal...Connected to the gep protector...which is in turn connected to the VDSL2 splitters (1 for each pair). Coming out of the last slot on splitter is the CAT 5e RG feed, using the orange and green pairs to the RG. Backfeeding on the same CAT 5e RG feed is the VoIP connection, which is then connected to 5 jacks spread throughout house.
Use the CAT 6 u have been using. I have tried using the "Superior Essex 3x22" shielded cable as a RG feed. Don't, easier using the tiwsted pair especially since the shielded drop is a thicker guage wire...it's impossible to make a RG14 jack with 22AWG wire...and I have found I get much better signal integrity on the RG feed using twisted pair vs. shielded pair. And that old RG shielded pair feed was an attempt to help my signal out. Weird bc it was leftover from the NEW pedestal to NID drop done when I got bonded setup. Had many techs out here and were baffled to find I got far better SN Margins using the old green air core vs new shielded gel core.
POINT being, don't connect the pedestal feed directly to the RG feed. MAKE sure u are NOT using the ceramic grounds, make sure u ARE using gep grounds with VDSL2 splitters. MAKE sure u are using twisted pairs for any connection past pedestal feed.
cwherb
join:2007-04-14
Arlington, TX

cwherb

Thank you! my thoughts and whamel for your replies....very, very detailed. I appreciate your time and I will move cautiously. Foolish me, I thought I could just remove the green and red on left side, connect my CAT6 (blue and blue/white) together with where pedestal wires come in....blue and blue/white and be done with it. I'm very glad I asked. Thank you! again.

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

welcome...lets just hope I said it all right...

former qwest
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
out there

former qwest to cwherb

Premium Member

to cwherb
do not touch anything on the company side of the NID.