spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grant

@comcast.net

[Install] Neighbors cable across my yard

Comcast came onto my property and opened my box and placed a cable giving service to the new construction next door. The cable ran out of my open box, (cant close as there is a cable out the top) leaving the box open to the elements. I was told by their agent that they had right of way, and that he seemed to think that it was ok to have a cable go across my flower bed and through the fence to the next door neighbor.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
was this "box" on the telephone pole or on the side of your house? if it's on the pole, then they probably do have rights to mess around with it.

but idk about going through the garden, if it's right on the edge of the street then i think that might be eminent domain, but still you should call again about it.

sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
reply to Grant
Usually they come back in a week or two to bury it.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to Grant
It's just temporary. Think of it this way: if your house was new, and you were just moving in, wouldn't you hope that your neighbor was nice enough to put up with an exposed cable wire for a few weeks? Be a sport...

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Xcelerate Broadb..
·Windstream
reply to Grant
said by Grant :

Comcast came onto their easement and opened their box and placed a cable giving service to the new construction next door. The cable ran out of their open box, (cant close as there is a cable out the top) leaving the box open to the elements. I was told by their agent that they had right of way, and that he seemed to think that it was ok to have a cable go across my flower bed and through the fence to the next door neighbor.

Fixed some of it for you.

Are you sure your flowers are not in the easement?

Does the easement allow for temporary drop to be left unburied for a short time till they can be buried.
--
IPv6 Sage - ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 8GB DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64| Xcelerate Broadband FTTH GPON 30Mbps/30Mbps

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Where I live it is standard practice for Comcast to run cable on lawns and have another crew come back a few days later to bury it.

The problem can be that sometimes the lawn mower finds it before it gets buried.

Kasoah

join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA
reply to Napsterbater
That's like saying you put a cable between two cars and anything that hits that cable is someone else's fault.

Could trip on it, etc.

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to Grant
If they are connecting to the box on side of ur house...I believe they have rights to all wires coming into that box, and anything going inside th house is your's. If I had to SHARE a drop with next door neighbor, I would expect both SNR and lines stats to degrade proportionally.
I have U-Verse and anything coming INTO the NID (box on side of house) is AT&T's responsibility. ANY wire from NID to points inside is YOUR responsibility. However I have never had a tech charge me for rewiring or anything done on my side, which is nice
--
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

sparky007

Avondale, AZ
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to graysonf
Must be union job. Can't have the same guy or guys who lays the cable to bury it with a simple piece of equipment that all cable companies have.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by sparky007:

Must be union job. Can't have the same guy or guys who lays the cable to bury it with a simple piece of equipment that all cable companies have.

Now the tech have a 2 hour window. This window also is for the trip from one house to another. So what you are saying that he should spend the 3 hrs or more to bury the cable and forget the the 3 or more service calls he has to do. I bet you would be taking a fit if your cable or internet was down and they call and say well since the service guy had to bury a cable and had to reschedule. Would you be ok with that.
--
Caddy

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Grant
Click for full size
hey, be glad it's not 20 drops
Expand your moderator at work

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to sparky007

Re: [Install] Neighbors cable across my yard

said by sparky007:

yea we all trailer around a ditch witch behind our vans/trucks...
--
I'm better than you!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to Grant

Technically comcast owns up to and including the box. So yea they can do what they want there. Im sure they knocked on your door and you were not home. The temp more than likely doesnt run the ROW so if you wanted to cause a stir about it you could. Keep in mind this was done so your neighbor could get service. A neighbor your probably going to have to live next to for a long time. Life is way to short to worry about a rg6 line running thru your garden for a short period of time. You would have to be a real dick to insist they remove it when its going to require your neighbor goes without service. Use it as a opportunity to get to know your neighbor. Just go over and ask whats going on. As a general rule tho comcast wouldnt do this without your written permission. They do assume some liability when they do it. Unless its just thru gardens tripping liabilities usually are a issue.

Have to agree union or non union has no place in this post.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Grant
said by Grant :

The cable ran out of my open box, (cant close as there is a cable out the top) leaving the box open to the elements.

If Rogers uses compression connectors with RF gaskets on the F-connector side, the connectors should be weatherproof and Rogers could forgo the box altogether - if there is aerial cable plant in your area, you can probably see that connections that are out of reach from people under normal circumstances do not have any additional "weatherproofing" on them.

The box's primary function likely is keeping honest people honest - if connections are hidden from view, most people, they are much less likely to get curious about them and do "self-service."

cielbleu

@videotron.ca

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to sparky007
said by sparky007:

As a manager, do you think I will let a knowledgeable technician bury a cable drop while he can be elsewhere troubleshouting a tricky intermittent issue? No, anybody can use a shovel.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to Grant
Maybe not the standard, but when I needed a new line from PED to house, they buried it 1st & connected 2nd so I wouldn't have a cable laying across the lawn.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to Grant

If you look at your official property description on file with the local government entity (usually the county) you will almost certainly find that there is a public utility easement included. That means that telephone, electricity, water, sewer and cable lines are all permitted to run across your property (where indicated on the property description).

You are usually not allowed to put a permanent structure on top of the easement (sidewalks, drives, flowers and light landscaping are allowed). You are also not permitted to interfere with any of the lines.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to Anon
said by battleop:

This thread is worthless without pictures.

You can't picture a cable going from a box to the neighbors house?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to Grant
Did we ever get an answer as to if this is a ped or an actual box on the home ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Nothing from the OP it look like.

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to sparky007
The ground could be frozen.... It is winter BTW....

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
Yeah I recall a thread not too long ago about it taking quite a while to get the cable in the ground due to the cold weather (frozen ground).
--

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to motoracer
It would clear up a lot of things. For one is he talking about the Ped or the Box on the side of the house.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
If this were the box on his home, I could see why he'd be annoyed. I would be too and I would honestly disconnect their drop and move it out of my yard. Now the ped, that's in the easement so you can't do anything about that.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Just a guess but im picturing a townhouse environment.

sparky007

Avondale, AZ
reply to Caddyroger
They would have all the guys they need simply by having the guys buring cable to also install cable.

If your going to do a job. Do it completely and right the first time.