more details."

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

What the heck is that for; other than just because?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
could it be an install fee? (is the install any more difficult than any other STB?)

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
This link is saying $99

»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ade-fee/
DZS
join:2007-09-09
York, PA

DZS to owlyn

to owlyn
LOL, a way to snatch more money out of customers pockets.

Glad mine is already installed!
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Yea its for the tech to come out and install it. Pretty sure they dont want subs installing it because it involves MOCA and they want to make sure the filters are installed.

rej4sl
join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN

rej4sl to owlyn

to owlyn
we had ours done a while ago and there was a fee. Not sure how much. But I do know that it was refunded due to a botch up with the installation.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101 to owlyn

to owlyn
We have been on the waiting list and I called today about a billing issue. The rep said it looks like X1 may be available to you. She transferred me over to someone else who scheduled the appointment. The second rep confirmed that there isn't going to be an install charge. We'll see...

Comcast really shouldn't be charging a fee to upgrade ancient boxes with 1999 interfaces.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

The install fee doesnt start until next month.
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody to owlyn

to owlyn
Yes, the install takes a while, when they did mine, not only replaced the box, thoroughly checked the signal levels and changed the Comcast amplifier.

Glad I had mine done already.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101 to owlyn

to owlyn
One or two reps I talked with via chat said there is an install fee but I don't think that was accurate information.

Overall how long does an X1 install take? We've got a really simple set up (just one box that will be replaced by the X1). Also our signals have always been great.
DZS
join:2007-09-09
York, PA

DZS to rody_44

to rody_44
Contractor installed mine the first time, forgot the filter. They had to come out again just to install the filter. They wouldn't let me do it.

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865 to owlyn

to owlyn
In the Chicago area. this was on my latest bill:

Beginning 2/3/2014, a one-time X1 Platform Upgrade fee of
$99.99 may apply to existing XFINITY customers upgrading to
the X1 services platform..

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to bgoodbody

MVM

to bgoodbody
In addition to having to install a MoCA filter, the extra testing may be due to the fact that X1 uses the DOCSIS modem in the cable box, and they want to make sure those signals are good, too.
fromebnj
join:2013-11-11

fromebnj to owlyn

to owlyn
There was a 49.99 fee which they waved when they installed my any room dvr and when they upgraded me to the x1 system. They told me that it can't be self install since you need to put a filter on the main line. When they upgraded me to the x1 I told them I had the filter already installed and they said let a tech install we will wave the fee.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to owlyn

to owlyn
why should there be an install fee when someone has whole home dvr before getting the x1? Shouldn't said customer just be able to get an x1 box? I mean seeing as how everything is working with their current whole home setup and already has a moca filter.
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody to andyross

to andyross
No MOCA Filter's were installed here

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

About the MoCa filter. Is that to prevent other people in the neighborhood from receiving a signal from your box and visa versa if they have an X1? As I also understand it's used to communicate if you have other x1's in the house so you can share programs with other TV's.(?)

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by YukonHawk:

About the MoCa filter. Is that to prevent other people in the neighborhood from receiving a signal from your box and visa versa if they have an X1?

Yes, the MoCA filter keeps the higher frequency (>1GHz) MoCA signals from escaping from your home and it also reflects them at the point of entry (PoE) back into it to help distribute them through your home network.

Extreme Broadband has this 6 minute training tutorial on the features and capabilities of MoCA, showing the functions of MoCA filters and splitters: »www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· dh24Xgw0
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I dont really know anything about the x1 or 2 platforms. But i would assume the splitters werent needed and the filter would only have to be installed at the entrance of the house or even at the tap.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to telcodad

to telcodad
Thank you. The filter was installed in a 10 or 12 gang splitter/amplifier that the CC guys installed. They eliminated about 3 or 4 splitters. Each TV run now has it's own separate port. The only thing not amped is the home run to the modem.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to rody_44

to rody_44
Well it looks like Extreme Broadband now make splitters/amps with the PoE filter built in...so maybe that's why it might appear some of these folks do not have (a separate) PoE filter:

»www.extreme-broadband.co ··· cts.html

Datdude
@comcast.net

Datdude to owlyn

Anon

to owlyn
The fee doesn't apply if you are adding a line of business OR if you currently have a triple play and are swapping out equipment

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad to owlyn

MVM

to owlyn
I see that Karl has a news item (tipped by you) up about it this morning: »Upgrading to Comcast's X1 May Incur $100 Fee for Some [13] comments

EDIT: Also an article on the MCN site tonight:

Comcast Details X1 ‘Upgrade Fee’
Fee Applies To Existing Customers Looking To Switch To MSO’s New Cloud-Based Platform

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 11, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· ;/148250

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865

said by telcodad:

I see that Karl has a news item (tipped by you) up about it this morning: »Upgrading to Comcast's X1 May Incur $100 Fee for Some [13] comments

I made reference to this earlier in this post.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to owlyn

MVM

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

On my February bill:

"Commencing March 15, 2014, a one-time X1 Platform Upgrade
fee of $49.99 may apply to existing Xfinity customers upgrading
to the X1 services platform. Please call 1-800-COMCAST for
more details."

Got the same note in my bill today also.