PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: Verizon's supposed response on a netflix question

said by aaronwt:

5800kbps SuperHD

Wow. I was curious what the stream is. FYI a typical Blu-ray disk puts out 25-35 mbps -- far above that. And the stream from Vudu usually runs above 20 mbps. I'm just observing...

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by PJL:

said by aaronwt:

5800kbps SuperHD

Wow. I was curious what the stream is. FYI a typical Blu-ray disk puts out 25-35 mbps -- far above that. And the stream from Vudu usually runs above 20 mbps. I'm just observing...

The top VUDU bitrate averages around 9Mb/s. The peaks reach close to 20Mb/s but the average is much lower.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by aaronwt:

The top VUDU bitrate averages around 9Mb/s. The peaks reach close to 20Mb/s but the average is much lower.

That's roughly what I'm seeing, depending on the amount of actions or frame-to-frame changes.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Verizon dropped a spot in the new Netflix speed rankings

»multichannel.com/distrib ··· s/148228

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Yea, since they lump in DSL with FiOS....

Nick5
@verizon.net

Nick5

Anon

said by nycdave:

But they don't...

»ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff to nycdave

MVM,

to nycdave
Click for full size
said by nycdave:

Right from the article...
quote:
Verizon DSL, with an average streaming speed of 970 kbps, fell one spot to find itself in last place, behind Clearwire and its average of 990 kbps. Verizon FiOS also dropped a spot, to number 7, with an average of 1.81 Mbps, off from the 2.11 Mbps average posted by Netflix in December.
Edit: While some other major providers have been steadily improving their average, Verizon has dropped off both for DSL and Fiber. Other providers have also dropped off too (Comcast, Charter, AT&T, etc). But they do break out DSL vs Fiber.