Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to prairiesky

Re: [HVAC] Manual J and heat pump sizing

I am surprised that loop depth are so deep in your area. In Scandinavia loops are normally 1 - 1.5 meter down and the loop has a 1 meter distance to itself side ways. At that depth the loop get the replacement energy from the sun.

The medium in the loop is an ethanol - water mix that can handle temperatures down to -30 Celsius. A good loop might have a minim temperature of -1 Celsius or better.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03

said by Hagar:

I am surprised that loop depth are so deep in your area. In Scandinavia loops are normally 1 - 1.5 meter down and the loop has a 1 meter distance to itself side ways. At that depth the loop get the replacement energy from the sun.

The medium in the loop is an ethanol - water mix that can handle temperatures down to -30 Celsius. A good loop might have a minim temperature of -1 Celsius or better.

Scandinavia is very far away from the U.S. as a matter of fact, it's in another country.. it has a different climate too. even comparing the climate of Canada and Florida there is a HUGE difference.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

Iknowit,
I am confused of the purpose of your post?
I know Scandinavia is far away from the US. Your post implies that my knowledge/experience of Scandinavia has no bearing on the discussion.
Ken is is Markle, IN average yearly temp 50.19°F, Stockholm Sweden average yearly temp 43.9 °F. I think that is close enough.

I replied to prairisky, his profile says Canada which has similar climate to Scandinavia.

I am surprised at the loop depth prairisky mentioned. Physics works the same regardless of county and I do not see the economic gains of a loop depth of 20 feet but I sure there is a reason for it, just trying to learns something.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03

said by Hagar:

Iknowit,
I am confused of the purpose of your post?
I know Scandinavia is far away from the US. Your post implies that my knowledge/experience of Scandinavia has no bearing on the discussion.
Ken is is Markle, IN average yearly temp 50.19°F, Stockholm Sweden average yearly temp 43.9 °F. I think that is close enough.

I replied to prairisky, his profile says Canada which has similar climate to Scandinavia.

I am surprised at the loop depth prairisky mentioned. Physics works the same regardless of county and I do not see the economic gains of a loop depth of 20 feet but I sure there is a reason for it, just trying to learns something.

the type of soil and underground temperatures would make a big difference. above ground temperatures are a smaller part of it.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

Sorry for going off topic but I am curious about loop depth.

I agree that type of soil matters since heat transfer in different soils are quite different, strongly correlated to the water content of the soil. But that tends to effect how long loop length you have not how deep you put the loop.

Underground temperatures are usually correlated to average yearly air temperature unless you have an other heat transfer medium like moving ground water.

It is expensive to dig 20 feet down. It would be less expensive to dig less deep and have a longer loop. If the loop is divided in two or more parallel loops the flow resistance stay low and does not require a huge pump. I would have guessed that you put the loop at/just below the frost line but I am not a professional in the field.