Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[Help] What to look for on first Android smartphone ?

I've decided to become part of the 21st century and get my very 1st Android phone. Research is doing my head in so hoping for suggestions here (NOTE: I'm only going with prepaid. Among other reasons, dodgy credit and I will not (not !!!) plop down a deposit.

Sooo, for a 4g LTE phone what do I look for or rule out? I mainly want the unlimited talk but as far as apps, what kind of storage size? Is it true that anything Android 4.0 and above (jellybean?) is good ? What about the processor ?

Just think of me as your older auntie wanting advice for a phone
Thanks.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Personally I would wait to hear about the Galaxy S5 announcement in a few weeks.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Forgot to mention: money tree died. The joy of being retired on a fixed income, lol. The S3 is nice but still too pricey for my misery ways.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Darn money tree. Well I may be selling my s4 when the s5 comes out, would be willing to help you out.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

shaner to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
If cost is a concern, the Motorola G is probably your best bet.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
I agree. The Moto G is a good way to start. 16GB for $199, or the 8GB for less. Both for sale on Google play (they are currently out of the 8GB):

»play.google.com/store/de ··· gb&hl=en

Edit: Looks like no LTE on it though, just HSPA+

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Is there an economical LTE phone for a prepaid plan ? Really want the LTE .....!
Thanks.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to FureverFurry

MVM

to FureverFurry
My criteria are: LTE, 2GB ram, 8GB storage, SD card slot, removable battery, dual processor or better. I also like Android 4.2 or 4.3. I really, really like the phones that you can see in the sun. That's why you are carrying a phone, to be able to use it anywhere. Since you have to DO something on the screen to answer a call, it applies to that too. And make sure it's the size you want. Play with a phone in the store a couple times before deciding. And if there is something that you think you don't like, but can deal with, you'll hate the phone after a couple weeks. Choose a different one.

I seem to always buy my phones used. Find out if any friends are upgrading and have a phone you would like for the service you want. Or check out Craigslist and meet whoever at the service provider's store and make sure the phone works before handing over the money.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Used LTE S3 or S4. But my recommendation is that you look for a good used phone.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
I'm telling you, to Moto G is the way to go.

»www.motorola.com/us/shop ··· pdp.html

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
If you're looking for inexpensive service check out the MVNOs. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· perators

MetroPCs is having a sale. $29 for 4G LTE phones with Unlimited Talk, Text and Data for $40 monthly with NO contract. Very inexpensive way to get started with Android. Check out the LG Optimus for $29.

»www.metropcs.com/metro/c ··· -a1-spot

»www.metropcs.com/metro/s ··· pleplans

If you become an Android fan you can plop down $200 to $1000 for the latest and greatest 4G LTE phone but if you want cheap .........

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Pre paid are pretty slim pickings feature wise, and data use very expensive.

ATT did just start a no contract service, but not sure what the phone offerings are for it, and the service limitations.

Personally I go for a Tracfone semi smart phone, and an old iPod Touch and newer ASUS Transformer Tab for when around WiFi
Hayward0

Hayward0 to Lone Wolf

Premium Member

to Lone Wolf
said by Lone Wolf:

If you're looking for inexpensive service check out the MVNOs. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· perators

MetroPCs is having a sale. $29 for 4G LTE phones with Unlimited Talk, Text and Data for $40 monthly with NO contract

I really doubt that that data is truly unlimited especially at 4G likely quickly slows to a crawl if you try doing a lot of steaming or downloading... and becomes only useful for EMAIL and low graphic Surfing.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
Since the money tree is dead, you need to toss and leave subtle hints for friends and relatives

I would go for the Nexus 5... but your looking at $350.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
nexus 5
SigmundSL
join:2014-02-09
costa rica

SigmundSL to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
The Nexus 5 will be the best Android smartphone in a little budget; 2Gb of RAM, Snapdragon 800 2.3Ghz Quad Core, Adreno 330, 16Gb and Stock Android and all the updates from google as soon as they arrive.

Is a must have if you want to have a great phone and it has LTE.

If you need more info this will help you in a better way:

»pdadb.net/index.php?m=sp ··· e-a_16gb

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
Go to the library and get the issue where they rate cell phones and services. Tested and rated by technical people. Then ranked by tens of thousands of actual users.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Why do you have such a hard on for Consumer Reports?

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx

FureverFurry to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
Thanks but I was *hoping* for suggestions as to what to have/not have. My brain cell is already done in with reading tech articles on the 'net.
SigmundSL
join:2014-02-09
costa rica

SigmundSL

What kind of suggestions do you expect? Tech specs, Software, Design Quality or what?

It's a little difficult to provide a good suggestion when there's only a draft of what you want.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

2 edits

howardfine to Happydude32

to Happydude32
They have people who are experts in the field who test the devices both in the lab and in the field. Then they collect surveys from their million+ members who own the devices to see if anyone had problems such as, "Did it break?".

CR is a highly respected source of information that you cannot get anywhere else. CR does not test equipment given to them but, instead, goes to the corner store like you do and purchases the devices with their own money and signs up for services just like you do. They are a not-for-profit organization.

This is far, far more information than you will get from any other source which usually has some guy in a back room who used it for a week or forums, such as this one, where the suggestions are based mostly on one person's opinion on their own situation which may or may not be of any technical value and may not even apply to where you live or how you use it.
howardfine

4 edits

howardfine to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
CR does not provide technical articles like you may be seeing but an overview. They gather information from their lab and field tests, along with surveys of their million+ members as to their experience with the devices. This is gathered into an easy to read rating system that makes it easy to narrow your choices down to two or three devices or, for that matter, help you eliminate one you may be thinking about.

For example, someone mentioned the LG Optimus. CR rates it a 79/81 (81 was the highest ATT phones made) for all ATT smart phones. It's circle rating system shows good to excellent in every category except they say the camera is only fair. They go on to give this review:
quote:
CR's Take
The LG Optimus G has a 4.7-inch high-definition display, a near-immortal battery life, and a smorgasbord of state-of-the-art apps and controls. These include a front-facing camera that watches your eyes to prevent the screen from timing out while you're reading it, an interesting way to view videos while multitasking, and clever apps for composing memorable memos and multimedia presentations.
Highs
• 4.7-inch, high-definition display with excellent quality
• Display and keypad are easy to see in bright light
• Many tools help you access and share content you create and capture on your phone
• Top-notch ease of use, messaging, Web browsing, and battery life
• Excellent e-mail readability and attachment capabilities, including document editing
• Supports both types of AT&T's "4G" network (LTE and HSPA+)
• Camera produced very good quality pictures
• Allows you to launch apps such as a camera, messages, or phone directly from a locked screen
• Can snap a still image while recording a video
• Front-facing camera facilitates video chats and self-portraits
• Supports wireless technology that allows you to pay at store registers with your phone
• Uses versatile Android operating system, with access to many apps and services
Lows
• Fair voice quality when listening
• Lacks a physical button for quick phone access, and its virtual keypad makes it hard to enter a number without looking
• Video recording is mediocre
• Has a non-removable battery

This does not include their detailed test results.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

They have people who are experts in the field who test the devices both in the lab and in the field. Then they collect surveys from their million+ members who own the devices to see if anyone had problems such as, "Did it break?".

CR is a highly respected source of information that you cannot get anywhere else.

This is far, far more information than you will get from any other source which usually has some guy in a back room who used it for a week or forums, such as this one, where the suggestions are based mostly on one person's opinion on their own situation which may or may not be of any technical value and may not even apply to where you live or how you use it.

So if Consumer Reports says Samsung tablets and phones are the best thing since sliced bread, but I absolutely cannot stand the unrealistic oversaturated colors of their S-AMOLED screens, I should still buy it because some so called 'expert' says so?

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

2 edits

howardfine

CR does not rank style or personal preference. They rank technical capabilities and reliability.

CR was involved in initial discoveries of the iPhone's AntennaGate problem.

Rather than complain about it, you should pick up an issue and find out what it's about.
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
I think you are going about it backwards since budget is your primary factor. Find a service provider within your budget and works in your area and see what they offer. It does you no good to get phone recomendations then try to find a carrer that has it at a monthy price you can afford.

Take a look at Ting's offering; »ting.com/devices/used
They use a pay-what-you-use model so if you are talking for over 30 hours a month then it might not be a good fit you. I have 3 phones on my account and will pay about $60 this month

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Thanks but the monthly I can afford. It's the actual PHONE that I'm gagging over: don't want to spend a gazillion or so pennies on the 'wrong' smartphone.

I'll probably regret asking this, but ... does size matter ??

Larger phone = easier to see stuff, but does that affect the voice quality?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by FureverFurry:

Larger phone = easier to see stuff, but does that affect the voice quality?

No, it does not. I have an S4, which has a 5" screen. Call quality is fine.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris to FureverFurry

MVM

to FureverFurry
I would say that phone size has most to do with the size of the display, especially these days. So, that's an issue of legibility, resolution and the 'thick thumbs' problem. Still, even in that context, larger is not necessarily better. There are some tablets that have far bigger displays than smartphones, but much worse resolution. Color reproduction is also not necessarily related to display size.

Size is also related to portability. If you carry a briefcase, satchel, or backpack routinely, hauling around a tablet is no big thang; if you don't, it is. And the best cameras are probably found on smartphones, not tablets. Again, this is mostly a matter of portability since the best camera for your needs is the camera you've got with you.

I seem to have somewhat amazing uncorrected vision for my age and I must have (and have read) several tens of books off my Galaxy S III. (Still, I will concede a Samsung Note or Tab is better for this.) But if I was a frequent user of the Autocad Android app, I'd want a display in the 7 to 10-inch zone or something like an Asus Transformer.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

does size matter ??

Additionally to what others say about screen estate, helping you to read/enter text, there is one more aspect, that I've noticed. It's battery. The bigger phone - the bigger battery. The bigger battery - the longer it lasts. Think about it - generally smartphones (within the same class category) have the same components inside - same CPU, memory, GPS chips, etc. It means small phone drains the same battery charge (at least when it sleeps and display is off) as bigger one. But if it has a smaller battery, you always have to charge it, again and again and again. Talking from my personal experience using small smartphone...

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
I got the SIII (VZW) and am loving it. Highly recommend if you can find the pennies in your drawer. Like others have said, check with your relatives if they are upgrading so you can buy their phone, or you can try eBay.