uniqs

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Water Meter "Leak" indicator

Just curious as to what the sensitivity of the "leak detector" dial is on a typical water meter?

My meter reads in gallons, xxxxx.t, but the little clock face dial has no calibration marks on it.

I anyone know how much water passes for each revolution. I know it is called by some companies a sensitive dial, but how sensitive it typically is?

(Google was not my friend when I searched for this information )

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

They are sensitive enough that if you shut off all water in the house you can tell if you have a pin hole leak in the system. Last September one of our users called to say he couldn't have used that much water when he got his bill. I went out had him shut off all water. The dial was still visibly moving. We went down into his crawl space and clear in the back corner was a pin hole just merrily shooting water.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Thanks. I did suspect they were sensitive, just wondering if anyone can quantify how sensitive.

How many oz. does it take to spin the little clock dial once around?

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
Mine reads in cu. ft.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
We are in the process of gradually replacing all the meters. Right now we have at least three different models and or brands. Each is different. Only one is marked with gals and it is 10gal per rev. The others I don't know. The main thing is to see no movement when everything is off. The new ones are 10gal per rev.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Sounds like you are talking about the gallons readout and not the low flow indicator triangle.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Mine does read in gallons and registers to 0.1 gal. It is "digital" meaning there are mechanical numbers like old time speedometers. There are no dials except for the little leak detector .

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I was referring to the post above mine seeming to suggest that the low flow indicator was 10 gallons per revolution.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Sounds like you are talking about the gallons readout and not the low flow indicator triangle.

No, the newer meters still read with the mechanical digital readout like the old but instead of the low flow triangle with no measurement they have a sweep needle that swings around the 3" diameter dial for a total travel distance of 9.4"+ travel or not quite an inch a gallon. You don't have to wait long to see a leak piss away a gallon. A 1/32" pin hole will lose 264 gallons a day @ 60psi.