spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

MT/UBNT issues

I'm having a strange issue on one of my towers. I have an MT RB711UA-2HnD running ROS 5.22 on the tower side, hooked to a 120 degree sector. Only about 4 clients on this antenna.

The most important issue is that a client I installed on Friday keeps disconnecting from the tower after a few hours, and simply never comes back on. The CPE is a UBNT NSM2. A power cycle does get it working again, but only for a couple hours. I tried upgrading to the newest UBNT firmware, and that didn't help at all. Then today I went out and swapped the POE and NSM2 figuring that it must have been a bad NSM2. I could log into the unit from the LAN side and everything looked fine, except I couldn't see any AP's in the scan and it wouldn't connect to the tower. Almost like the wireless had just quit working. Assumed it was a defective CPE.

Here we are a few hours later, and the new NSM2 that I installed earlier today has disappeared again, and I can't think of any reason why. The one I installed today wasn't actually new. It was a used one which a client had been using for nearly 2 years without an issue until they moved last week. I intentionally used this one because I knew it worked. Only difference is a new house on a different tower.

Can anyone think of any reasons this might happen?

On a slightly different note, I do see a lot of re-associations on this AP for no reason. I see it on all of my MT devices running 5.x, but unfortunately I can't downgrade to 4.x on the newer hardware. It's like clients just re-associate, even though they were fine on an older firmware version. It does appear that a couple of the other clients re-associated right around the time this one client disconnects, but the one client is the only one that never comes back.

I can't figure it out and it just doesn't make sense to me. Anyone else ever see anything similar?
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

I had major issues using Mikrotik on the AP side with Ubiquiti clients. I could never get a straight answer out of either as to why the issues I was having were happening. In the end I started using UBNT on the AP side as well. I was having frequent disconnect issues for no reason, issues with RTS not seeming to working properly and major throughput issues.
ksantano
join:2014-02-10

ksantano to jcremin

to jcremin
Try turning the output power down on the cpe
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

I had major issues using Mikrotik on the AP side with Ubiquiti clients. I could never get a straight answer out of either as to why the issues I was having were happening. In the end I started using UBNT on the AP side as well. I was having frequent disconnect issues for no reason, issues with RTS not seeming to working properly and major throughput issues.

Thanks for the info. I think my next step will be to simply try swapping the AP for a rocket and see what happens. Are you using the standard M2 rockets, or the titaniam ones? Any advantages of using the Ti?
jcremin

jcremin to ksantano

to ksantano
said by ksantano:

Try turning the output power down on the cpe

I can try that, but I'm curious about your theory behind it? Mainly because the NSM2 I replaced the original one with didn't have a single setting changed from when I took it off the old client's roof other than changing the radio name and pppoe login info.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to jcremin

to jcremin
Actually at that legacy site I put up a pico connected to the HPOL omni since I didn't need dual pol.
TheHox
join:2012-05-31

TheHox to jcremin

to jcremin
»community.ubnt.com/t5/Ge ··· p/358613

Ti's have had issues getting bricked supposedly a new batch is on the boat though.. I'd avoid them for now.
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin to wirelessdog

to wirelessdog
Ahh, gotcha.
jcremin

jcremin to TheHox

to TheHox
Sounds good. I haven't really looked at the Ti's in any detail, but at a glance, I didn't see anything that really looked like it was worth the extra $$$ to me.
wirelessdog
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to jcremin

to jcremin
I think the main advantage was the gige port which makes a difference if you have a clean 40mhz link and your speed limitation is the Ethernet port... I read somewhere about an extra 20% of overall throughput as well FWIW