uniqs

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

[WIN7] Weather desktop gadget changed?

I let the Windows update install IE 11 to access a specific web site, and later today noticed that my Weather gadget had changed in appearance [no background] and when I tried to move it so it could be read, I found I cannot move it.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Do I need Bing Bar which I deleted?

I searched/read other messages about this, but didn't see anything similar. TIA .....

Nevermind, about not being able to move it. I just found this version has a place in the drop down to drag the icon. I'd still like to know what changed my version of the gadget, if anyone knows if it's connected to that IE install/update.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

Here's a link to some other users with a similar issue and some workarounds:

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· cd87df60

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Thanks so much! That is exactly what happened to my Weather gadget. Guess I will have to delete IE11 and do a fresh install of IE 10, if I want the old style back.

For now, I think I'll wait and see if I can adjust to the new "pink" info provided. I've bookmarked that site for now, and really appreciate your prompt response and help.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

You're welcome.

Hopefully the issue with the gadgets will be fixed with an update but because Microsoft has discontinued gadgets it may not be.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to msmisfit

Premium Member

to msmisfit
Just wondering what weather gadget are you using? I'm using the Weather Bug gadget and it worked fine after installing IE 11.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to auggy

to auggy
I had read about MS dropping gadgets, and that's why I hit the panic button every time something happens to my weather gadget.

I've become accustomed to it, and hope I'll be able to keep it.
msmisfit

msmisfit to Msradell

to Msradell
Sorry I don't know how to identify it, it came with a later version of Win7, that came on my Gateway laptop last year. It's very simple, and not like any that I saw when searching the messages here about weather gadgets.

However, what I have now looks very similar, except it has pink text and images, no background, changed options... and it shows "iMap"... below the inside 3 day forecast. Anyone familiar with that?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Microsoft will never fix gadgets, they abandoned them, and ripped the runtime out of Win 8 right before release assuming everyone would love that Win 8 metro garbage. You can use something else like Rainmeter.
»www.rainmeter.net

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

Thanks! I've bookmarked this site too... just in case I completely lose this gadget. I liked it's simplicity.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor

Premium Member

How to Restore the Default Windows 7 Gadgets

Information
This will show you how to restore the desktop gadgets that come pre-installed with Windows 7.

»www.sevenforums.com/tuto ··· ets.html

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

That's a perfect safety net! Thanks so much.

I was afraid if it disappeared I couldn't get it back, because of MS lack of support now. That's a relief. Thanks again.