dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to anon

to anon

Re: Anyone else tired of TW Cable's useless customer service?

Per the FCC, Descriptive Video Service isn't required for every show or every station. »www.fcc.gov/guides/video ··· on#top25

Some highlights: FCC rules require local TV station affiliates of ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC located in the top 25 TV markets (see list below) to provide 50 hours per calendar quarter (about 4 hours per week) of video-described prime time and/or children's programming.

Local TV stations in markets smaller than the top 25 also may provide video description. Check with your local TV stations.
Many Public Broadcasting System (PBS) stations also provide video description on a number of programs. Check with your local PBS station.
The requirement to provide video description is extended to local TV station affiliates of ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC located in the top 60 television markets beginning July 1, 2015.
The top 5 non-broadcast networks - Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, TBS, TNT, and USA - must provide 50 hours per calendar quarter (about 4 hours per week) of video-described prime time and/or children's programming.
Subscription TV systems (offered over cable, satellite or the telephone network) with 50,000 or more subscribers must carry video description.
Subscription TV systems with fewer than 50,000 subscribers also may provide video description. Check with your subscription TV provider.

And more. You could be asking for something that just isn't available, not the fault of a useless customer service representative.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Turner Classic Movies plays a selection of movies with DVS available on a second audio track (how SAP is done). They've been doing it for a few years now.

I'd be interest to know if the DVS problem is on an analog version of TCM or digital. Does it happen direct to set if available? If it's through a box, is the box set to a language other than English? Sometimes default doesn't work as expected. If you look at the box diagnostics it will frequently indicate which audio track is playing on digital channels, what track name is displayed?

I'd also look into what the edge decoder or QAM is set to for audio track config, but that's done at the headend. Odd things happen if the audio track name changes, maybe when DVS is turned on by TCM, some gear doesn't handle it as expected.

Lots of things that could be checked, if you know where to look and have access.

Then again is the problem able to be duplicated anywhere else?
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

I do know that but the information I saw stated it wasn't set up for all of the movies. It was a problem often called in at the TWC NYC area, and some times the tv remote had to be reset, not the box.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
I have been trying TCM DVS for years with Time Warner and it has never worked. I gave up!

Anon
@rr.com

Anon

Anon

I have two DVRs and the Descriptive Video Service has only ever occurred on TCM, and on that channel it only happens on a minority of movies. Each of the 5-6 times I've told Time Warner about this I get one of two responses: (1) What is Descriptive Video Service? (2) Go into your settings and turn it off (it's already off). Then, after that: I'll report this. And here we are months later and nothing is fixed and I haven't heard anything. I even had a tech at my house who heard the DVS and checked my DVR settings... and of course said it'd be reported... that was well over a month ago.

If this is some required service, then you'd think the reps would know about it. I'm not buying it. I think this is a problem that's happening and the people who could fix it don't know it's happening, and they have such poor internal reporting processes that they aren't going to be finding out that it's happening... It's really annoying.

As for the person who reported the "channel will be available shortly," boy have I seen my share of that message. That's what was appearing a few weeks ago when several of my channels were out for days due to the bundle issue.