Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

1 edit

floydb1982

I'm looking for this type of radio

I live in Kent, WA and I had a long rang powerful HF World Band Receiver Radio 20 years ago witch I don't have anymore. Beside the analog FM & AM tuner it also had like 5 to 6 different tuners in it. I could sit in my room at night and pick up radio stations as far out as Japan, China, Mongolia, Russia, Philippines, India, and so on. Anybody know the type radio I am talking about??? I don't even think they make such a radio anymore like that.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

I think you are looking for a shortwave receiver.

I have an old Grundig I like, sony makes em, eton has a few, sangean makes a good weather radio of mine so they might have a decent one.

You can also just access the stream via the internet these days. Most broadcasters are also available by searching for the call sign or from this wiki entry:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· stations
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

No it was a longwave receiver. That I do remember clearly.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

I don't even think they make such a radio anymore like that.

Google says they do. Few and far between maybe but they're out there. As is plenty of information about long wave radio transmitters, some (many?) of which are noted to be signing off the air permanently.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

No it was a longwave receiver. That I do remember clearly.

It probably had shortwave receive capabilities as well if you were receiving stations from overseas.

These days you can find radio receivers that will do anything from 50kHz up to 30MHz, which pretty much covers LW, MW, SW, amateur bands, and more.

Many different models out there, some still manufactured. Not easy to find in brick-and-mortar stores these days especially in NA, but they can certainly be obtained online easily enough, and there is some for every size of pocketbook.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to floydb1982

to floydb1982
I believe what you are looking for is referred to as a "Communication Receiver". These are wide band receivers that can tune across all the bands that are commonly used for radio communications. The better ones will also receive all the common operating modes AM, FM, and upper/lower SSB with a BFO, mode is selectable regardless of the band.

Here is an Ebay search scroll through and see if you recognize anything. »www.ebay.com/bhp/communi ··· receiver

Also while the radio you had may have received "Long Wave" chances are the international broadcasts you heard were in the "Short Wave" bands.

I should also tell you that sadly the days of international radio broadcasts are waning and almost gone.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen

said by b10010011:

I should also tell you that sadly the days of international radio broadcasts are waning and almost gone.

With Internet broadcasting being so common this is a reality. I can just fire up TuneIn Radio in my cell phone and start hearing many (if not he majority) of radio stations from around the world in a matter of seconds. Even stations in very remote locations without land-based Internet access can resort to satellite anywhere in the world.

long short
@comcast.net

long short to floydb1982

Anon

to floydb1982
longwave refers to frequencies down around 1 MHz, like am broadcast band.
shortwave refers to frequencies around 2-5-10-20. MHz.

most of the international stations were clustered around 8-12 MHz.
you may also remember the TIME stations, especially the one at exactly 10.000 MHz,
"at the tone the time will be xx xx coordinated universal time" beep.

both longwave especially and shortwave got better at night.

last I knew, radio shack had a few multiband receivers with assorted longwave and shortwave bands. digital now, and more stable.
see if you can arrange to rent/borrow one overnight to try; scan starting at 10 MHz, down and a bit up.

for shortwave the whip antenna is ok. for longwave in day you will need a looooonnng antenna.
long short

long short to floydb1982

Anon

to floydb1982
confirming, radio shack etc do still have multiband receivers.
assorted longwave frequencies down to 0.1 MHz, (100 kHz), shortwave normally up to 30 MHz.

another option is any of the multiband internal card receivers or external box receivers that plug into the inside or outside of a computer. the dials or digital readouts appear on computer screen. the antenna connects to the card or the box.

prices for all of the above start around $40. to $250. for the common ones.

here's wiki:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh ··· istening
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
united state

1 recommendation

b10010011 to long short

to long short
said by long short :

longwave refers to frequencies down around 1 MHz, like am broadcast band.
shortwave refers to frequencies around 2-5-10-20. MHz.

Actually standard AM radio broadcasts are considered medium wave.

Back in my listening days (70's-80's) I can't say I ever heard anything on longwave besides beacons. But on shortwave I do remember listening to Radio Moscow, Radio Australia (who played "Waltzing Matilda" on a music box a few minutes before starting a broadcast). Propaganda from "The Voice of the Sandinistas" (Beamed directly to the heart of America!) of course the BBC and VOA, and there was one rock station, I cant remember where they were from the their slogan was "Rock Around The World"

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I still have a Grundig Yacht Boy 600 (pretty much most of the broadcast bands) and I remember there was at least one ( ) long wave station I could listen to back in the 80's.

Too bad the tuner's design is defective (no ESD protection!! ) so the first FET is rather 'blow' prone.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
I don't know if this will interest you or not. NPR sells a wireless radio with X thousand stations from around the world, and 800 NPR stations. I usually listen to Hilo, Hawaii FM station.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Here's a free radio receiver. Just requires an internet connection and a PC with a web browser:

»websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

On a side note, it still blows my mind that this thing samples the entire HF spectrum in one go and makes it available to over a hundred users simultaneously to tune in to whatever they like! The power and flexibility of modern electronics and computing is amazing.
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to long short

to long short
That's why I would sit in my room at night and pick up radio stations as far out as Japan, China, Mongolia, Russia, Philippines, India, and so on. Couldn't do that during the day because all I got was static.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Here's a free radio receiver. Just requires an internet connection and a PC with a web browser:

On a side note, it still blows my mind that this thing samples the entire HF spectrum in one go and makes it available to over a hundred users simultaneously to tune in to whatever they like! The power and flexibility of modern electronics and computing is amazing.

OH MY GOD! This is the coolest thing I've seen since sliced bread! Thanks for sharing!
bentbike1
join:2012-09-11

bentbike1 to floydb1982

to floydb1982
look up art bell and leo laport both are ham operates leo la port may have a pod cast on that topic towich there would be a chat room check there
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
united state

b10010011 to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by TheMG:

OH MY GOD! This is the coolest thing I've seen since sliced bread! Thanks for sharing!

You can have your own starting at about $1100 »www.winradio.com/
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by b10010011:

said by ke4pym:

said by TheMG:

You can have your own starting at about $1100 »www.winradio.com/

Why'd you point me in that direction? That was just mean!!! Now I gotta come up with $1100 to spend!!! (thanks for the link, though!)
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
united state

b10010011

said by ke4pym:

Why'd you point me in that direction? That was just mean!!! Now I gotta come up with $1100 to spend!!! (thanks for the link, though!)

If you just want to play around a bit there are some DVB-T tunner sticks (Europe TV) that people are turning into simple SDR's. They do have many limitations but they are also in the $20 range and the software is free.

NooElec makes an up-converter designed for them that allows them to tune the HAM-HF (shortwave) bands.

»www.nooelec.com/store/so ··· dio.html

I have one of the RTL2832 sticks and it's been fun to play with.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

I've had an eye on one of those for a few months now. The impulse buyer in me wants one really bad, but I know I shouldn't. Been spending was too much lately lol just recently purchased an Elecraft K2 fully loaded. My wallet hates me now.