All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Skiptller
@mycingular.net

Skiptller

Anon

Change tires at Costco or Honda.... Insurance pov?

Need to change my tires should I do at Costco or Honda. People at honda were saying the tires are specially made for my CRV
... How does insurance see it? Can they say I didn't brake good because tires were not honda ?

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

I've never had a Honda. But I have bought several sets of tires from Costco. The last tires I got from the Ford dealer. I research and find the tires I want first, then find the best price and service. Be sure to ask about mounting, balancing the new tires. Some places it's included in the price and other places not.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed to Skiptller

MVM

to Skiptller
Honda does not make tires. As long as they fit the wheels... should be no issues. I have had several Hondas - nothing special about the tires.

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost to Skiptller

Anon

to Skiptller
Honda will put on the same tires that originally came with the vehicle. You might want to do some research and choose a different brand of tire. Our CR-V came with Continentals that barely lasted 30,000 miles. I replaced them with Michelins from an independent tire shop. Much better.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
I used to go to STS Auto and Tire for tired and oil changes on my Civic. Tire prices were good and service has been great.

With my Toyota, I am getting oil changes for free (for a limited time) at the dealership. I've been toying with idea of purchasing Toyota's Tire Care simply because I've lost a few over the years due to pot holes, etc.

I hear Costco is good but I haven't purchased through them yet.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

Alakar to Skiptller

to Skiptller
Go on www.tirerack.com, research tires for your CR-V, pick the ones that fit your needs best, then start checking around for price (including installation). There is nothing unique about the tires that Honda puts on it's vehicles.

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost to Skiptller

Anon

to Skiptller
Don't forget you have to replace all 4 at the same time.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
As long as you put on the proper type and size of tire for the vehicle, and meet any other requirements for your area (4-season, snow tires, etc, as required), you're perfectly ok.

You can choose any brand and model of tire you want as long as it fits the requirements, and you can have any tire shop you want install them for you, or you could even do it yourself if you had the right equipment.

Nothing says you have to get tires from the Honda dealer.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
It does't matter if you make sure they balance the tires right & put the right size on. I got my new tires at the NTB by my house instead of the Ford dealer.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

1 recommendation

nightdesigns to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
Honda just wants a sale. I've had 2 different late model CRVs and never had an issue with 3rd party install. The factory tires ride nice, but wear quickly. I always replace with a 50-60k tires. 3rd party will always be cheaper.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to Skiptller

to Skiptller
If I remember right, after the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco, the law now requires auto makers to source their tires from multiple OEMs. Bottom line, there is no one "special" make of tire for your CRV. Simply follow the manufacturer specifications and then go get the best deal you can find on those tires.

Pay attention to the load range. I know some SUVs and trucks may require a sidewall reinforced tire, which will help stability during cornering. Even though a passenger car tire may fit the wheel, if it's not designed to support the weight then handling will suck and it could very well be unsafe as the sidewall rolls underneath the wheel under the weight when cornering. That is the case with my VW bus anyways. It's definitely important on it to get tires with the proper load range.

Do the research up front before you go into a tire shop so you aren't just relying on what they want to sell you. Keep the specs in mind so you'll know you're getting the right tire.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to Skiptller

to Skiptller
Just make sure the size is the same, and load rating equal to or greater than factory. Other factors would be wear, wet traction, snow traction, temp rating. Those would be up to you for your climate and what type of surfaces you drive on mostly. Also price you can afford.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
... and keep in mind who "told" (read, lied) you about these "special" tires. Why would anyone want to give money to a company that flat out lied to them.

XR999
See ya Rogers.
join:2010-05-24
Ottawa, ON

XR999 to Skiptller

to Skiptller
Special tires my ass, the OEM tires for almost all manufacturers and models are simply the cheapest tire they can source that meets the specifications of the vehicle with a few exceptions (ex. High performance vehicles such as Ferrari or Lamborghini and vehicles equipped with run-flat tires, neither of which apply to a CR-V). So as long as you match the original tire size and match or exceed the load and speed ratings, any brand of tire is perfectly acceptable (and your insurance couldn't give a rats ass, as long as they have decent tread, they don't care if they are Michelin's or Walmart cheapo tires).

By far the biggest thing is research your tire choice, don't just slap on whatever a tire shop or dealer recommends, check out sites like TireRack and read up on how they wear, how they perform in various weather conditions, how much noise they make, etc. Once you've got it narrowed down to a few choices, start looking around to see who offers the tire, the prices, the service/reputation and the kind of warranty they offer, etc. Pick the best combo and assuming you choose a good set, enjoy the road as there is nothing better than driving on a fresh set of good tires.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
Costco has an excellent tire center. They sell quality tires, use nitrogen fills (the benefit of nitrogen can be debated till the cows come home, but it's no cost at Costco, so why not?), hand-torque lug nuts on, include free road hazard warranty & rotations for the tire's life, and have a great warranty to boot.

It's always my preference to get tires at Costco... drop the car off, go shopping, grab a slice of pizza in the food court, and you're done. Marvelous!

Beezel
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

Sad thing is, my factory spec tires for my 2013 Camaro are a odd size. Only a couple of replacements to choose from. None are what I want.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by Beezel:

Sad thing is, my factory spec tires for my 2013 Camaro are a odd size. Only a couple of replacements to choose from. None are what I want.

Had the same issue when our Acadia was new. There are several choices on the market now, but the first few years were hairy.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

had the same issue with the mags on my ranger, wierd width

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
as long as it meets DOT standards it's does not really matter of the brand
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to rjackson

Premium Member

to rjackson
There is no law that requires vehicle manufacturers to source from different tire manufacturers. The laws and regulations require much more due diligence in selecting the load and speed capability of the tires the vehicle manufacturers put on. If Mercedes wants to use only Michelins, the US DOT does not care, as long as the tires are sized and rated for the real world usage the vehicle will see.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
I have 17 inch wheels on an old Lincoln Town Car. They could have easily put on 16 or 18 inch wheels, which would have given me a much larger variety of tires to choose from. It can be strange how precisely engineered and selected things like wheel and tire sizes can end up driving you nuts when it comes to replacing worn parts. Toyo and Michelin love my tire size, Bridgestone disregards it.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
The heck is does not matter. A friend of mine just got rid of the horrible Goodyear tires that came on his wife's 2013 Chevrolet and replaced them with his favorite BF Goodrich tires. The tire service guy at Sam's Club said he had seen a lot of that over the years. Getting rid of horrible OEM Goodyear tires and replacing them with Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone, and BFGoodrich tires.

The way a tire is engineered and manufactured has a lot to do with how it balances tire wear, ride comfort, dry traction, wet traction, and steering response. Some Kuhmos may last forever, but they have little wet traction. Avons may stick like glue in the wet, but they wear quickly.

Beezel
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

said by Beezel:

Had the same issue when our Acadia was new. There are several choices on the market now, but the first few years were hairy.

Tell me about it. I hope by the time when they wear Michelin has some in my size. I don't care for these BF Goodrich I have now. I hate a temperature rating of B when I live in the desert. I prefer my A rating.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

The heck is does not matter. A friend of mine just got rid of the horrible Goodyear tires that came on his wife's 2013 Chevrolet and replaced them with his favorite BF Goodrich tires. The tire service guy at Sam's Club said he had seen a lot of that over the years. Getting rid of horrible OEM Goodyear tires and replacing them with Michelin, Firestone, Bridgestone, and BFGoodrich tires.

Years ago my pontiac sunfire came with goodyears that were low profiles, up here we put snow tires on so they were only summer driven i got a year and a half out of the goodyears, they were replaced with chinese tires (yes hate on me) but they lasted 4 years!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

No hate here. There are two basic sides to tires. How well they are designed and engineered. How well they are manufactured. Some Continental tires are fantastically engineered and designed, but have very inconsistent manufacturing quality. Some Kumho tires are very consistently manufactured, but have terrible design and engineering. The Chinese can do excellent consistent manufacturing quality when they decide to do so, but they often decide to not do that. Glad you found something you like.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 edit

Grumpy4 to Skiptller

Premium Member

to Skiptller
I suggest a name brand tire dealer, like Goodyear or Michelin or the like. Department store tire techs can often be less than competent at doing tire work.

Buy & change your tires like your life depends upon it. It does.

On another topic, I recall going to a Toyota dealer in central CT for my former Boss's Prius.
$720 for four $60 tires, plus another $100 for my time to get the job done. Ouch.

I suggested viable alternatives prior to the above wallet rape, but the boss insisted that the dealer must do the tires. As I got paid $100 to sit on my arse while the dealer hosed her, who was I to argue?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

A friend of mine keeps taking his wife's new Chevrolet back to the dealer for oil changes. He hates dealing with one of the service reps who always tries to sell him $200 fuel injection cleaning treatments and other stuff. The rep suckered him with a phony tire deal one time, and he still goes there. I told him the car's warranty would still be good, even if he changed the oil himself, as long as he kept receipts and records showing what he had done. If anything he could go to an oil change place that would not be so pushy about selling other services. He says he will stop after the warranty expires.

Beezel
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to Grumpy4

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

I suggest a name brand tire dealer, like Goodyear or Michelin or the like. Department store tire techs can often be less than competent at doing tire work.

You would be surprised how many times you can end up with the same results with a big name dealer.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

In their defense, Costco is not your average department store.

Their tire center is really top grade. They train their staff very well and double check each and every job before it goes out the door.

It's well done. Like everything else Costco does.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by dennismurphy:

In their defense, Costco is not your average department store.

Their tire center is really top grade. They train their staff very well and double check each and every job before it goes out the door.

It's well done. Like everything else Costco does.

going to Costco for tires wouldn't be half bad, Walmart on the other hand(Cambodian tire is pretty bad as well).