spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdstoll

join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL

[Comcast Equip] No channel guide on HD DTA devices?

So I just had Comcast installed at my house and wanted a couple of my TVs to just have a basic HD box (i.e. not a box that is connected to the DVR) so they gave me these small boxes which I guess are called HD DTA devices. But when I go to use the Channel Guide button nothing happens and I noticed a note on Comcast's website that says: "Note: The HD DTA devices, when deployed, will not have an On-Screen Guide. Any remote buttons that access guide features will not function when the HD DTA devices are first deployed."

No channel guide? How the heck are we supposed to navigate the 100s of channels we get? I hope I'm missing something very basic here because if not this could be the dumbest thing I've ever seen come out of a company. Would be like having someone sell you a car but not include a steering wheel.

Thanks for any help!!

Rob

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

[Comcast Equip] Re: No channel guide on HD DTA devices?

Comcast is currently trialing a guide for their SD-DTAs in the Bristol, CT, Springfield, MA and Portland, OR markets. I'm hoping that a similar guide will also be installed soon on the HD-DTAs.

See: »[Content] HD DTA

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to rdstoll

said by rdstoll:

How the heck are we supposed to navigate the 100s of channels we get?

Well first, you are NOT getting "100s of channels" on your DTA's...since they ONLY get basic channels up thru Digital Starter level of service. (plus maybe a few in Preferred)

AND, you are NOT forced to use those HD-DTA boxes; you could have opted for full HD digital boxes on ALL your sets...of course, they cost $10 vs $2 for a DTA.

But to answer your question...you could try a simple (paper) channel lineup card...that the tech should have given you when he installed your service. (they always seem to down here anyway)
Or, call them & have them send you some out...many people I've dealt with would just as soon have a simple piece of paper they can pickup & just find the channels they want...instead of paging up & down on an EPG.

rdstoll

join:2000-10-25
Des Plaines, IL

Thanks. After searching around more I see that these boxes are much more limited but when I was at the Comcast office ordering this service they never said anything about how these cheaper boxes had limitations. They basically said all the didn't do was connect to the Home DVR, which left me with the impression that I mentioned here.

Thanks for the info....$10 boxes, here we come!

MrJitters

join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT
reply to rdstoll

Re: [Comcast Equip] No channel guide on HD DTA devices?

said by rdstoll:

No channel guide? How the heck are we supposed to navigate the 100s of channels we get?

Having a basic guide for the HD DTA boxes is certainly not rocket science, although Comcast seems to treat such things as such. They'll spend years testing this out one neighborhood at a time.

When I picked mine up at the Comcast store they basically told me the same thing and confirmed to me that I would get ALL the HD channels I currently get now on my DVR. The CSR was actually indignant I would ask such a thing. This of course turned out to not be the case. @$1.99 a pop it's a whatever I guess.

MrJitters

join:2003-11-29
East Montpelier, VT
reply to dishrich

Re: [Comcast Equip] Re: No channel guide on HD DTA devices?

said by dishrich:

But to answer your question...you could try a simple (paper) channel lineup card...

Oh yeah, I remember those. It was back in 1963 when we first got cable TV. I believe it was called Community Antenna Television back then. 11 channels and two of them were in French. We've come a long way since then, eh?

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

said by dishrich:

But to answer your question...you could try a simple (paper) channel lineup card.

Something I do, even though I have full set-top boxes, is to have a TV listings site bookmarked on my laptop and I use one on my iPad as well.

That way I don't even have to the TV on to see the listings and if I want to turn on the TV.

The iPad is really handy for that kind of thing.