Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mitpatterson
Premium
join:2012-09-17
Toledo, OH

Uverse resellers

Are there any "good" resellser? My address qualifies for Uverse but i don't really want att direct since i work with their tech support enough as it is for work and don't want to come up and deal with it as well if needed. In addition hoping to save a few bucks possibly.

The re-seller I used to have at my last apartment(DSL Extreme) doesn't offer service on ATT without a phone line and doesn't do uverse(I was in frontier area before) My address also qualifies for non-uverse dsl but only at 1.5Meg(and even then i checked the loop length estimates my self and that would be cutting it close)

Authorized Resellers will either be door to door contract sales, or store front that is not company.

Pricing will be basically what is online, bundled discounts will be bigger than single service.

If just looking for internet only, current promotions are $11.05 off normal price.
RG is either purchased $100 if qualify loop length or leased for $7 per month.

Restrictions on customer self install availability include...
... Not ordering any speed tier above 12M.
... Be less than predetermined loop length, single pair.
... Currently have a POTS and/or DSL line.
... On an FTTN (node) not an FTTP (fiber to the premise)

DNSguy

join:2006-04-09
Saint Charles, MO
kudos:3
said by my thoughts :

Authorized Resellers will either be door to door contract sales, or store front that is not company.

I think what the OP is asking is if there are other companies that resell U-verse like DSL Extreme sells DSL over AT&T's lines, but the support is provided by DSL Extreme. The answer to that is no. Uverse support in all cases will be provided by AT&T, regardless of if you buy it direct, from a door to door guy, or a store.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to mitpatterson
Really OP wants to add a third party into the mix?

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
If it was a decent third party yes.

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
reply to DNSguy
More or less. I really just hate that i can't use my own equipment as well.......I work with the uverse gear at work and my skin crawls any time i see the name uverse as i know it means the gear sucks for me to work with. I would kill to be able to use my ADSL wic in my cisco router or a buy a vdsl one if thats what they are deploying.

Also is there a way to tell before ordering what type of technology they are depoying in the area for it?(VDSL or ADSL2+)

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
reply to my thoughts
so that means no self install for me.. i don't have existing pots and/or dsl. See other reply regarding equiptment

Enter you address on website for ordering product ...
If can order IPTV service then vdsl
If can order max turbo (24/3) or power (45/6) then less than 2200 feet.

If best internet is max plus (18/1.5) then over 2200 feet, either single (less than 3000 feet) or bonded (over 3000 feet)

No TV service then adsl2+ circuit from IRAD or CO, lesser speeds means farther distance.

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
whats the best URL to use to check? I swear the other day i checked and could get anything(tv, phone internet) but today when i checked it is only listing internet up to like 768K....what did i do lol

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by mitpatterson:

whats the best URL to use to check? I swear the other day i checked and could get anything(tv, phone internet) but today when i checked it is only listing internet up to like 768K....what did i do lol

»www.att.com/u-verse/availability/index.jsp

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
Gross. for what ever reason right now its saying I don't qualify for phone or TV and only "Basic
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Basic
Downstream speeds up to 768Kbps"

I swear the other day it was offering TV, phone and Internet at up to like 20 Mbps or something

Only theory I have(and someone can correct me if i'm way of), is that someone used up the last available port on the RT/VRAD that serves my address and thus they moved what I could quailfy for back to a CO based speed(which is about right as a loop length prequalify from Megapath/covad whole sale portal(I have access via work and did it for fun/to check) shows the below which would be likley for either dog slow or not working at all )

Central Office Information:
CO CLLI and Location: TOLDOH38 - TOLEDO, OH
Line-share distance from CO1: -0 miles(-1 feet)
Second line distance from CO2: 3.46 miles (18282 feet)

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
Click for full size
Ok..i'm wrong...ATT just hates me.. just tried with a different apartment # at the same address and have a full list of offerings.... What do I have to do to get my apartment # back to the full offerings list if i wanted to order?
Expand your moderator at work

timeout1

join:2013-04-23
Cleveland, OH
reply to mitpatterson

Re: Uverse resellers

Mit,
The only other internet reseller I am aware of in Ohio is WoWWay. But I am not sure they are available in Sylvania. They do provide service in some suburbs of Columbus & Cleveland.
Expand your moderator at work

Pugz

@rr.com
reply to mitpatterson

Re: Uverse resellers

ATT does have U-Verse resellers but they are far and few between. You just have to start searching and asking around, etc. As far as WowWay, They are an MSO- cable provider. They purchased the former Americast network from Ameritech when they were playing in one-way cable back in the late 90s early 2000s. All of their service areas have become WOW except for a few which AT&T uses for backhaul or just fully shut down.

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
Well i guess the next question becomes how do i get ATT to show me any useful packages.. see my post about inputing the same address but one apartment # off and they qualify for basically anything tv, internet phone. But when i put in my unit # it only qualifies me for 768K DSL(Which i swear a few weeks ago was showing me everthing as well)

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Try to phone in an order. Ask for an Address Validation/Verification when you are told VDSL2 service is not available. Be prepared to give neighboring apartment numbers that are qualified. If the Sales agent you talk to will not submit a Validation, ask for a Supervisor until one is submitted. Get AT&T user IDs (ab1234 or ab123c format), as well as your potential new account number (13xxxxxxx format) and the "H" escalation case number.

The escalation can take ~2 weeks for engineering to validate the records. If the address is not turned "green", send all this collected info, as well as a link to this thread and your personal info and contact info, to a post in the Direct forum here, and let David and/or others there see what he can find out, and hopefully get you goingf

David got my apartment at one time, that I knew qualified for service, actually turned green for service. It took a little effort, but it worked.

Undortunately, false "Red"s/unavailables occur in the records

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
oh fun.... and speak of the devil got a offer in the mail from Uverse today(generic "Our Neighbor") went to the site linked, still 768K... Yet I SWEAR a week or 2 ago i was "Green" as i had TV offers at the address.

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
reply to ILpt4U
I may have scored gold. I am lazy and don't like talking to sales people on the phone. So i chatted and got a link to a request to have the address further validated. Might not be as much of the escalation but still could be something for those that its failry clear cut they qualify

»www.att.com/u-verse/availability···form.jsp

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
reply to ILpt4U
David was able to get me in touch with some folks to get me turned green. Still only green for 18M which is odd given that any other unit in my apartment(same address) can qualify for 24M.

I went ahead and ordered at the 18M and got the Uverse Family package as well as that seemed to be the best price combo and with the current promos is actuallys cheaper(if you count the rebates as cash) for the first 16 months... since the install is free and then $200 in rebates vs a $50 rebate for internet only and a $99 install plus $100 modem fee.

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
Click for full size
Here is what i ordered. Does anyone know what modem I am likley to get? In Toledo Ohio area.

With IPTV service, three units possible...3800, 3801, 589....depending on order the 589 is best bet but still installing the other two in our market.

With ufamily, small DVR if Motorola market the 1216, would expect 1225.
You did not order HD (add $10).
Family is family friendly, meaning no sports (ESPN, etc).
Sports programming and many others start on u200.

Did you check channel selection before ordering?
Tech can upgrade both package and HD at time of install.

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
I honestly won't use the TV very much. I did it to get out of the install fee and get the $200 in rebates. I did the math. Its actually cheaper all told (if you count the rebates as cash/discount) to do this package than it is to get just the Max Plus package for the first 16 months(depending on the change in discounts of course).

About the only tv i would watch is some of the local channels and probably like Discovery or History mostly.

So the STB would not be HD ready?(aka if i wanted to upgrade to HD they would have to switch out the STB and possibly tech visit)

Edit: Also if the tech that does show up next friday(the 28th, soonest avaible was next monday but given its 1-3pm time slot I couldn't do it on Monday since i work 3rds) gives me a choice(or i can persuade him) what RG do you recommend? I don't plan on using the wireless or anything. I want what will work best in the passthough/psuedo bridge mode.

All receivers are HD ready, so no need to swap receiver if add HD (admin change to your account).

Techs are supposed to install what is on order, as the 3800, 3801 are b/g and 589 is b/g/n but your not using Uverse wireless but your own, then RG choice is not going to matter, they all will need to be set up. Depending on RG will either be called DMZ mode or IP pass through.

Follow post 2 from Somejoe7777, the developer of Uvreatime, found here for router behind router.
»forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Ga···/2707013

Post 13 in above thread is for AP.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
ATT has knee-jerk reaction for apartments (MDU), that they likely either: don't have sufficient (2) pairs pre-wired, or can't get permission to run new cat5e: therefore don't qualify for pair bonding hence no Power tier.

589 has usually been "reserved" for pair bonded (589 with pair bonding is necessary for Power tier), or single pair lines with chronic problems. It does the "best" VDSL2, and only one of the three that is supposed to be future proof to "coming soon" 17a profile (for higher speeds even over single pair).

Rental fees are all same: why wouldn't you ask for the best, the NVG589? 1Gb LAN ports, 802.11n, 8k NAT session table size (versus 1k on those old 380x 2wires).

You can discuss pair bonding with install tech, doesn't hurt to ask. As in you prefer to at least get internal wiring now as-if for pair bonding for Power tier, if at all possible, *regardless* whether or not ATT now will let you have 589 or Power tier.

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
The only thing i was asking about higher speed is all the apartments around me qualify for Max Turbo instead of just Max Plus(24m vs 18m)

mitpatterson
Premium
Toledo, OH
reply to my thoughts
So do you agree with brookeKrige in terms of go with the 589 if the tech will install it(if I ask nicely ) or are any of the others work better for router behind router? and i think i recall seeing somewhere that Uvrealtime doesn't work on the 589 yet? is that correct?

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
Did you actually receive that promised $200 in rebates?
What gateway did you get?