dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maleitch4
join:2004-01-13

maleitch4

Over a week to schedule a tech to check my outage?

I have been generally happy with Mediacom, but we just suffered our first outage and now I am being told that a tech will not be available until 2/18 which is over a week away.

I realize that I am a consumer level customer, but is this typical of Mediacomm response times? It is this sort of extended outage that made me leery of internet based phone service as now I have no 911 service.

To make matters even worse my "local" office is over an hour away? Just curious if this is typical of response times.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

Yes, this is typical, especially for an outlying market area. That you say your local office is an hour away tells us quickly that you are likely in a small market area that has the tech come over to just one day each week, as he/she has to travel from another community (likely where your local office is found). There is probably only a few techs and they rotate around to the different communities one day a week.
maleitch4

maleitch4

There used to be one just a few miles away, but they closed it down apparently.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to maleitch4

to maleitch4
said by maleitch4:

I realize that I am a consumer level customer, but is this typical of Mediacomm response times? It is this sort of extended outage that made me leery of internet based phone service as now I have no 911 service.

Hopefully you have a cellphone as a backup (which by the way is something Mediacom tells their phone customers they need to have, as their phone service is consider "recreational" and not a 24/7 utility).

A Nonymous
@mchsi.com

A Nonymous to maleitch4

Anon

to maleitch4
8 days is pretty good. The last time my service (TV & internet) went out, it was 2 weeks before they could get a tech out. The time before that, 10 days.
Do *not* rely on Mediacom's phone service for emergencies. If I needed another phone besides my cell, I'd call up Frontier and get my old-school landline reconnected before I'd sign up for Mediacom's useless VOIP service.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

maleitch4, I will be happy to look into your issues. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
maleitch4

maleitch4

IM sent with info MCChad. I want to add that in desperation I took my modem out to the side of my house where the coax from the street comes in. I hooked up the modem directly and it seemed to establish link...once. I took it inside to attempt to see if it was issue with inside wiring, or couplings but could not get it to sync up again. Just to make sure I was not going crazy I hooked it back again to the outside connection and this time it did not work. My layman's guess is that most likely the modem is flaking out or issue with line from street. If you could get this information to the tech I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

maleitch4 - I am showing your appointment has been moved up a few days. I'll PM you with the details.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to maleitch4

Premium Member

to maleitch4
said by maleitch4:

I have been generally happy with Mediacom, but we just suffered our first outage and now I am being told that a tech will not be available until 2/18 which is over a week away.

To make matters even worse my "local" office is over an hour away? Just curious if this is typical of response times.

I'm not advocating that this type of situation is in any way reasonable, but when I was a customer of Qwest and had a traditional phone line, it was completely out and I had no access to 911 (or any numbers, obviously) when I went into labor with my daughter. It took them days to get out and fix our line and that's living a suburban area of Des Moines. There's no guarantees with anyone, whether it's a traditional provider or VOIP is what I'm trying to say.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to maleitch4

to maleitch4
The last time I needed Tech support (a year ago) I was given an appointment 10 days in the future. 10 days without Internet?? This appointment was made thru Mediacom Chad. Mediacom Customer service is typical of a Cable company. HORRIBLE. Anyone who relies on Mediacom for Telephone service needs their head examined.
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas

Premium Member

You are right - they need to get their crew figured out because my tech's only come in the morning here in our area. Wouldn't it be nice if they would come in the PM. Need more people working for them as techs.