join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Affordable homes near UCLA campus

I was hoping somebody had suggestions on affordable homes near the UCLA campus (or within a reasonable commute).
By reasonable, I mean I'll be limited to $65K / yr income for the first few years.
Schools and safety are probably the biggest concern.
I want to have areas to use as a starting point for a real estate agent if I decide to pull the trigger and move.
I've been to the area but never lived there, so my knowledge is limited.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA
I would recommend Ventura County, the north San Fernando Valley and the Valencia area. What do you consider a reasonable commute?

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
My last commuter job was 45 minutes to an hour each way.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to nunya
Try Santa Monica, if you're coming to California you may as well enjoy your stay by spending it at the beach. If you're going to have an agent search for you why not look from the top down. If SM is too expensive try further inland but don't write the beach off before you've looked. You may be surprised.

If you do move may I say "Welcome to SoCal, dude."

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
reply to nunya
To afford a median cost home in Los Angeles, your income would need to be $79,177, plus a 20% down payment unless you want to pay PMI. Median home price is Home price: $423,900. This data is from last December 2013.

»www.hsh.com/finance/mortgage/sal···ies.html

Here is a map of prices. You can also look at Zillow.com

»www.trulia.com/home_prices/Calif···eat_map/
--
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate

lml2000
Whazzup

join:2000-08-17
Los Angeles, CA
reply to nunya
What's a reasonable commute to you? 30 min? 45 min?
If you're interested in buying, also consider down payment as well as income & square footage needs. Homes within 15-20 min commute start at about $800-900K range. Bottom line, not MO.

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to nunya
Thousand Oaks if you want a home.

Renting - you can generally find some good places in the off season (when college kids aren't competing with you/their leases are up). I'd look in west LA (just west of the 405) and south of Santa Monica, or I'd look in Culver City. Maybe Venice, but it can get $$ fast. There are some condos in the Marina Del Rey area that they built for some start up stuff... not sure if the prices have come down, but they're at least fairly nice and new.
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.