rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

My printer has failed and I need a new one...Which R best

I have a HP Officejet 6000 that prints all colors but black. The other day when this happened it showed the cartage half full but I bought a new one anyway. No help. While troubleshooting another problem I run chkdisk and it started printing OK so I thought that fixed it. Today the printer quit printing black ink again. Only this time after going all through the manual I found out how to run the test pages by holding the buttons on the front of the printer thus proving that the problem is in the printer.

SO.. I need a new one, I have had two HP printers and they were both good machines but HP support is rotten to the core. Both me and my son have been told after going through phone call with HP support that we should take our computers back to where we bought them and get them repaired because there was no problem with HP software. I was able to get mine printing, my son took his back for another brand.

I am retired and the printer is used by my grandkids as much as I use it so I do not need any thing fancy and I have a scanner. And yes the new ink cartridges I just bought would likely pay for a new printer.

Long story...But what brand printers have you found to be good?
What would you buy?
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Mother in law called us Last Friday.
The Dell Printer I gave her years ago now prints color only.
I cleaned cartridge jets with alcohol (they are 3/4 full) and printer test was good... but 30 min later didn't print black, and color only every other line...

We went to Wallmart and got an HP Deskjet printer for $29.00.

That was less than purchasing new ink cartridges...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to rfhar

What do they really need to print? You should consider replacing it with a laser printer, and not the even more expensive color kind. They last a long time, and while the toner costs more at a time, you don't have to replace the toner for a very long time in comparison to inkjet. No worrying about stupid errors that the color is out, and it won't let you print simple black when needed for things like reports. I refuse to buy another inkjet printer.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl

join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO
reply to rfhar

I agree with you about HP support. IT SUCKS. I refuse to buy anything HP. I have owned three inkjets and three lasers and each time Windows moves to a new version, I had to buy a new printer because they would not update the drivers. In the event that you could make it work with old drivers, it was at reduced functionality.

I would also recommend a laser. That being said, I really can't recommend a brand.

I just replaced a Samsung CLP-365W color laser that quit with another Samsung (C410W) which used the same toner cartridges. The black cartridge was down to 20% on the old printer so I had bought a new cartridge with the idea of replacing it when it ran out. The printer quit before the toner ran out so I was sitting on a new one. The color cartridges are at 98%.

I am not impressed with their support, either. I could not find any service manuals or service parts for the CLP-365W. I was told by support to take it to an authorized service center for repair. The unit was one week out of warranty.
--
IUOE Local 101

djs9164

@verizon.net

Whats wrong with the Sammy. I may be able to lend a hand.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to randavis

said by randavis:

I agree with you about HP support. IT SUCKS. I refuse to buy anything HP. I have owned three inkjets and three lasers and each time Windows moves to a new version, I had to buy a new printer because they would not update the drivers. In the event that you could make it work with old drivers, it was at reduced functionality.

Unfortunately that's SOP for nearly all printer manufacturers for lower end host-based printers. To get something that won't be made obsolete by an OS update you'll need to spend more on a printer that actually supports PCL and/or PS (thus works with universal drivers).

As for support, unfortunately it similar for most printer manufacturers. Getting them to admit to and fix bugs are almost an impossibility.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to rfhar

said by rfhar:

But what brand printers have you found to be good?
What would you buy?

Getting back OT: I'll be buying one shortly (thx-"cheating-while-deployed"-soon-to-be-ex-wife) for light printing (maybe a couple times per week) and have pondered the same. If color, whatever the cheapest ink is; for black/white - minimum 600dpi laser.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you Mr. Munafiq

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to rfhar

I'm actually very happy with my HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One.

Before I bought the Officejet 4500 I would just buy a cheap printer in the ~$20+ range and when the ink ran out I'd junk it for another cheap printer. It was more cost effective then buying ink and was a situation (option) the manufacturers themselves created IMO.

My print needs are faily modest though.

A nice laser printer might be a good option for the OP.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl

join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO
reply to djs9164

I have a thread on the computer hardware forum.
»Printer problem
--
IUOE Local 101

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Jan Janowski

said by Jan Janowski:

The problem with this is that HP ships "starter" cartridges that don't have as much ink as the ones you purchase.

As others have said laser is better than ink, especially if you don't print that often.

From my experience most support stinks and I contact them as a last resort. HP still makes great hardware. If you spend the money on one of their business models you're more likely to have support in the next OS.

I too have been stung by HP not supporting their hardware on the next OS. I had to junk a $300 scanner because it didn't have drivers for the next version of windows. My solution was to not purchase another one.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to rfhar

Every printer I've ever seen is horrible.

The only one that is reasonably tolerable as of late is my HP P1606.

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to rfhar

I went to OfficeMax today to return some color cartridges while I could and they have some inkjet printers that are advertized to use half the ink a laser printer does. I can print everything I need to in color for a while as the color cartridges are new as of a week or so ago. I will study online and be here to check opinions every day.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to rfhar

Just wondering but what kind of printers are those that they are advertising use less than half the ink of a laser? From my experience I can tell you that the cost per page is always lower with a laser printer.

I don't think there really is a best of in this category. All printers have problems of one kind or another, depends on your experience which one you like the best. Overall it seems like HP printers are as well-liked as any of them, probably considerably better than most.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to rfhar

Brother seems to be doing well these esp. for soho color laser printers.

They also seem have decent tech support and customer service.

Other than that try Lexmark.

And as previously mentioned I recommend a laser over an inkjet.

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
reply to Kilroy

I checked, the cartridges included were 61, not X61 but 61.
--

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

HP 61 Black Ink Cartridge (~190 pages); HP 61 Tri-color Ink Cartridge (~165 pages)

You'll pay more for the ink than the printer costs - HP 61 2-pack Black/Tri-color Original Ink Cartridges - $33.99
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Jan Janowski

said by Jan Janowski:

I checked, the cartridges included were 61, not X61 but 61.

But if you read the fine print in the documentation, you should be able to find the place where it mentions that the printer comes with "Starter Cartridges" (fancy term for half-filled). I know a guy that kept buying $400 HP Color LaserJets instead of the $400 toner replacement set. He about crapped himself when I pointed out how few prints the factory cartridges would actually produce vs. purchasing the correct cartridges. He thought he had been sticking it to HP.

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
reply to rfhar

Mom doesn't print much. The last printer lasted 2 Years before it needed cartridges.. It will be fine.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Kilroy

said by Kilroy:

said by Jan Janowski:

The problem with this is that HP ships "starter" cartridges that don't have as much ink as the ones you purchase.

As others have said laser is better than ink, especially if you don't print that often.

From my experience most support stinks and I contact them as a last resort. HP still makes great hardware. If you spend the money on one of their business models you're more likely to have support in the next OS.

I too have been stung by HP not supporting their hardware on the next OS. I had to junk a $300 scanner because it didn't have drivers for the next version of windows. My solution was to not purchase another one.

Its interesting that you should bring that up. I had a similar experience yet with a slightly different outcome.

When Windows Vista came out I had an HP printer that seemingly had no driver support for the then new OS. I looked at what models did have Vista driver support and was able to find a model that looked similar to the one I had. Its drivers worked fine for my printer in Vista and the problem was solved. My feeling is that HP should have done a better job of informing their customers of what hardware actually had some semblance of driver support even if they wouldn't officially support it.

In and around the time that Windows Vista was release I also had an HP ScanJet 4600 series scanner (see-thru flatbed scanner). I actually pulled it out of storage recently and found that it worked fine with Windows 8 Pro. Its scans were faster then my HP OfficeJet 4500 too. The HP ScanJet 4600 had Apple OS X supper when it was released but it wouldn't work in modern versions of OS X like Mountain Leon or Mavericks.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Aranarth

said by Aranarth:

Brother seems to be doing well these esp. for soho color laser printers.

They also seem have decent tech support and customer service.

Other than that try Lexmark.

And as previously mentioned I recommend a laser over an inkjet.

My wife uses business class Brother all in one machines and is pleased with them.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to rfhar

I have two Brother printers:

- an MFC-7460DN all-in-one laser

- an MFC-J615W all-in-one inkjet

The laser has been quite good. I've replaced the toner cartridge once, the high-yield 2600-page cartridge costs $50.

The inkjet is OK. I specifically bought it because the ink cartridges were cheap at $15, but now it needs all 4 (=$60). I can get a new cheapie for less than that.

So yes, laser all the way if you can, and don't believe a word of marketing material that say that inkjet is in any way cheaper than laser. I'm not so sure about colour though, apparently the colour laser toner cartridges have a yield so low that the cost per page approaches or exceeds inkjets.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

In and around the time that Windows Vista was release I also had an HP ScanJet 4600 series scanner (see-thru flatbed scanner). I actually pulled it out of storage recently and found that it worked fine with Windows 8 Pro. Its scans were faster then my HP OfficeJet 4500 too. The HP ScanJet 4600 had Apple OS X supper when it was released but it wouldn't work in modern versions of OS X like Mountain Leon or Mavericks.

That is done on purpose by Apple. You are forced to buy new when they upgrade their OS.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

All HP had to do was update their drivers, but they chose to leave the printer as legacy as they made no additional money from updating the drivers. When windows required signed drivers for 64-bit windows many 3rd party just didn't update their drivers, at least not at the release of windows. Later on some finally provided updated drivers, like hardware that didn't work at the release with vista had at least basic drivers with Win 7.

When it comes to HP, and their bloatware drivers I'd rather have widows update drivers any day.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to rfhar

I still have the same Samsung ML 2010 I've had for years. My departed best friend gave it to me and it has been wonderful, the first printer I've ever had that didn't give me fits. I'm still on the second toner cartridge that I got from monoprice IIRC. I don't print much and have no need for color. What is also nice is the drivers for Linux exist, not all printers have Linux drivers I think.

I only print about 20 pages a month, but it works perfectly. When my friend died and I was forced to move and abandon almost all my possessions, I had to leave behind a second ML 2010 which broke my heart.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to rfhar

I'm an HP guy so my opinions are biased, but I've had the OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus for I think two years now and it's a hell of a printer. Quality is excellent, the touch screen is nice and big, which is why I went with the Plus over the regular 8600, set up was extremely easy to put it on my wireless network. My only complaint, and it's not even a feature I use that much, is it takes longer then expected to view thumbnails from an external media card on the display. They are slow to load. I have no idea what people are talking about with driver issues. I've used that printer with Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 and have never had an issue. Hell with Windows 8/8.1 I never even had to install a driver or do anything, the printer automatically showed up. Prior to that I had an OfficeJet 6500 and before that a DeskJet 6900. No problems with any of them.

At work quite a bit of people have older B&W LaserJets and color DeskJets that I've been replacing Laserjet Pro 200 M276NW color lasers and I love them. Next printer I get will be a Laserjet, either that model or what the equivalent is or possibly the big boy the LaserJet Pro 300 color M375NW. We've got a DesignJet T790 plotter on order that I can't wait to play with.

Dell was mentioned above. Dell printers are just rebranded Lexmark's. Prior to the HP-Compaq merger, Lexmark made printers for Compaq. Once the merger happened, HP kept their own printer line and Lexmark went to making printers for Dell.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rfhar

This is a very common problem with some HP printers. I have an HP Officejet 6500 that is about 3 years old and have the problem of the black ink not printing for about a year and a half. Here is a thread from an HP forum site with a solution.

»h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-···5#M28623

My own experience with this solution is I have soaked the print assembly,etc. and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. After the procedure, if it doesn't work I leave the printer alone for a few days and sometimes it will then print. One time the printer lost it's connection to the network! In my experience, the solution is a temporary fix since it keeps on happening.

I'm fed up with it. It was printing fine a week ago and when I tried to use it yesterday in an attempt to e-file my taxes the printer wouldn't print in black ink. I ended up manually writing out my taxes and if I had any idea of a reliable printer (network printer using ethernet cable) I would replace this piece of junk. I always thought HP was good.

Good luck to you and I in replacing the printer. I'll see if I can get info on the Brothers MFC 7460DN all-in-one lazer mentioned in this thread.

Sincerely, Libra

rfhar
Premium
Buicktown,Mi

I have been printing out everything in dark blue or red until I decide what to replace it with. This way I can relax about replacing the printer.Word makes this easy.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to rfhar

I picked up the Brother MFC-9340CDW about 6 months ago. It was on sale, got it for $299. It is a networked color laser all in one. (document feeder was a must for me) I had a scanner already, but it was just a flat bed. The one touch "scan to computer" option on the brother is great.

So far I have been very happy with it. The admin software lets you limit which users/computers can print in color, versus just in black/white. Log shows I've printed 786 pages, and it's still on the toners that came with it.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to rfhar

said by rfhar:

I have been printing out everything in dark blue or red until I decide what to replace it with. This way I can relax about replacing the printer.Word makes this easy.

That's a rather novel solution provided whoever is using the documents are ok with it.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
reply to rfhar

How are you able to print in dark blue or red? I think my printer is similar to yours (HP officejet 6500 vs. HP officejet 6000) and I'm not aware of that option. I'm aware of fast draft and greyscale.

Thanks.