spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JohnB
@myvzw.com

JohnB

Anon

Wired Device

I have the Pantech Jetpack and I need to connect a wired only device to it. Any suggestions on how to do this? The device can only to the internet via Ethernet cable
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

You would need a Cradlepoint MBR95 router and use WiFi as WAN

johnb
@myvzw.com

johnb

Anon

Is that the only compatible option? Anything in the sub $50 range? Sorry to ask, just on a budget

Jack H
@myvzw.com

Jack H

Anon

I have a similar situation and use a cheap Netis WF2419 wireless router. It connects to my jetpack via wifi and has 5 Ethernet port in the rear. I bought it at microcenter.com for around 20 bucks. Very easy to set up and seems reliable.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to JohnB

to JohnB
what is it you want to connect? will a wireless adapter not work?
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to johnb

Premium Member

to johnb
Only thing cheaper I can think of is using a spare computer and wiring it all up through ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Although honestly, with all of ICS' idiosyncrasies and quirks you'll probably be better off with that Netis WF2419.

That is a cool little router. I wishlisted it on Amazon...I have to have that handy in case I have a need for it or someone else does. Thanks Jack H!

Johnb
@myvzw.com

Johnb to Jack H

Anon

to Jack H
I have a "redlink" internet gateway that connects to my honeywell thermostat wirelessly, but connects to the internet router via ethernet cable. The netis you mentioned is affordable, How would I set it up?

Thank you!

Jack H
@myvzw.com

Jack H

Anon

You would connect the router to your device using a cat5 cable. Once the router powers up you will be able to connect to it using your computer via wifi (SSID Netis) and complete the configuration. The key is to setup the WAN function as "wireless" access" and have it connect to your jetpack. Once rebooted the router will link to the jetpack and your end device will be issued an IP. From that point forward it will be connected to the internet.

Good luck.

Johnb
@rr.com

Johnb

Anon

Sorry, when you say connect the router to my device via cat5 cable, when you say device, do you mean my hotspot? If so, it doesnt have a cat5 plug.

Bascially I have a Verizon jetpack, that is wireless only, right now I dont have any options to get internet to anything that isint "wireless"

Thank you in advance

Jack H
@myvzw.com

Jack H

Anon

Sorry.. What I meant was to connect the netis router to your Redlink device via the cable. Not the hotspot.

What I am suggesting will get your HVAC connected to the internet but be aware that it still may not enable you to access your system from the outside. The reason is that Millenicom (Verizon) assigns you a 10.x.x.x IP internal address that is not accessible from the internet.

I am not familiar with the Honeywell system but they may have a intermediate server that both your HVAC and your PC/tablet/smartphone connect into. If so that would resolve the problem.

johnb
@rr.com

johnb

Anon

Thank you so much!

When I register, they have me input the mac id into their system...some other numbers too. I hope this works!

Set it up as a wireless access point? or as a repeater?

Thank you again!

Jack H
@myvzw.com

Jack H

Anon

Set it up as a wireless access point using a wireless connection to your jetpack as the WAN connection.

A side benefit of this scheme that that the router will also allow wireless connections from other devices and connect them to the internet as well. If you locate your router at the opposite end of your home from the jetpack you essentially have created a range extender for all the devices in the home. The WIFI throughput is cut by half but given the relative slow speed of the LTE connection you will not see much difference.

good luck.