Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to liviorn

Premium Member

to liviorn

Re: Anyone having connection issues in the Rio Rancho NM area?

I live in the NE area of RR. I haven't experienced any problems this week. It may be a very localized issue with your cable connection.

I would call C1 and tell them that you need a tech to come out and check the line coming into the modem, and any other possible reason for your service not working properly.

liviorn
join:2009-06-21
Rio Rancho, NM

liviorn

I finally called C1 and scheduled a visit. Here are some things I have learned from this visit (Thank goodness that both person on the phone for tech support and the tech who visited me were experienced.):
1) Having an splitter with an open end can indeed contribute to the signal loss (not a real issue), but we still got rid of that.
2) I had a RG-59 coaxial cable going from the wall to the modem, which is not recommended. For cable Internet I should have bought RG-6 coaxial cable and visited C1 office so that they would put a specialized fitting for both ends, otherwise signal loss will occur. Coaxial cable changed.
3) Luckily, on the day of the tech visit my speeds also dropped to a nearly 10 down / 2 up (should have 30/2). So we had to troubleshoot that as well. This time the culprit was my 5 year old router. That thing shows it's age. Speeds directly form the modem were just fine.
4) According to C1 tech, C1 does have an issue at this moment with some DNS servers. They are working on it and the issue should be solved soon. (They advised me to change preferred DNS servers under TCP/IPv4 to open DNS servers @4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 for the time being)
That explained some of the problems I had where websites would not load.
Anyhow, I had to re-initilize my router which solved the "router" problem for now, but the best thing would be to buy a new router or modem+router solution.
So with all the changes we've done, packet loss is almost gone 2-8 packet lost out of 84000 (pinging google.com) in the last day. Pings are better now as well. Speed test is fine, Transmission signal strength: was 36- 40 dBmV, now it's between 44.5 and 47 dBmV which is excellent.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

That's good to hear that your connection is much better. And thank you for the info.

I've been using Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), and my browsing seems faster.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer to liviorn

Premium Member

to liviorn
I had some problems last night around 9-10pm with some sites being slow to load and some not loading at all. Everything is fine now. I don't know if it was a C1 issue or something with the Google DNS Servers that I'm using.