uniqs
share rss forum feed

Datagg
Limitations Are Only In The Mind

join:2002-04-13
Mesa, AZ

1 edit

Assistance with QoS settings in RT-N56U

Hello..Wanting to set QoS settings as i heard it may help with gaming speeds for upload bandwidth and download bandwidth, not sure what those numbers are. Tried to ask cox live support, but an odd answer of "we don't support that router and we don't supply network keys over chat"..WHAT?... I don't get it. Would anyone have those numbers so i can enter them in the fields in my RT-N56U. Have premiere cox. Thank you.
--
Videocard: AMD Radeon HD 5900
Processor: i7 930
Mainboard: P6X58D
Memory: Corsair VoyagerGT 6GB(3 x 2GB)

Anonguy

@cox.net

I don't understand what you are really asking for?

The QOS that your modem is set for? If so, Why would you want to plug that in your router?

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Datagg

Are you just looking to see what the speeds for your internet tier are? If so, then its up to 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up

»ww2.cox.com/residential/internet···%3A1%3A0

If your looking for something else, please specify.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
reply to Datagg

would you please to post the picture of your router what are you looking into QoS settings? that may help us to figure out what you are trying to do with these QoS settings.

Datagg

Mesa, AZ
reply to Anonguy

Here is a video on it

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rsUDIsx_w

This tells me how to do it, yet still doesn't give me the numbers for my isp for bandwidth.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

you have to enter your own defined numbers for your own QoS settings if you know what are you doing, we, cannot be responsible for your issues if anything went a wrong after applied the QoS settings unless you are going to use these QoS defined settings when you need on the priority based on your tastes, explain: if you need your gaming packets be passing at higher priority over anything else then just set higher priority for your gaming application stuff.

Datagg

Mesa, AZ

1 edit

Preset Priorities look like they have been set for tasks already such as gaming, streaming,etc. I'm just looking for what the bandwidth upload speed is and bandwidth download speed. Are these not figures that cox says we are supposed to get based on our connection?? - The claim is the QoS will deliver a better stream of packets for when situations such as gaming are needed. They claim this will help reduce laag, etc by prioritizing packets to situations that demand it.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Datagg

said by Datagg:

Wanting to set QoS settings as i heard it may help with gaming speeds for upload bandwidth and download bandwidth, not sure what those numbers are

a) Screenshot of said "QOS Settings" you're looking at.

b) As a general rule, if you don't know what you're doing, I wouldn't play with the knob(s).

A better question would be is whether your gaming speeds are suffering that you do need QOS.
Keep in mind that 1) QOS is unidirectional, and 2) is NOT an Au / Ag bullet to poorly performing
equipment, saturated connection, underspec'd gear, etc.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Datagg

Mesa, AZ

Thanks Hellfire... No Gaming and streaming is good, no laag that i can tell, yet my thinking was I could squeeze a bit more out of it. Thanks for input.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to Datagg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it breaks.

Datagg

Mesa, AZ

Don't we all just try to get a bit more out of our equipment?. I dunno, Guess its a bad idea. Thanks guys

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to Datagg

Fixing it till it breaks is one way to explore the limits.

Datagg

Mesa, AZ

@Hardly. Your view is acknowledged. But I nor anyone else should limit themselves just because people won't accept the fact that possibilities for advancement can happen. Where would we be as a civilization today if steps were not taken for improvement and advancements?... I appreciate your comments, but with all due respect, your comments and view on this is quite nearsighted.

switchman

join:1999-11-06
reply to Datagg

I would try 80% of your upload/download speed. Say you have a 50/10 service. Set the down rate to 40Mb/s and the up to 8 Mb/s. It should be you real speed that you ware getting. I just set mine to 80% of my provisioned speed.

Here is a good overview of how QoS typically works in a Tomato based router. I am sure the same philosophy applies to to the ASUS algorithms. QoS is not a magic fix all. What it can do is let other services exist and share the line without major impacts to each other.

»tomatousb.org/tut:using-tomato-s-qos-system

For example on a 30/5 service, I have had a very large file download, two Netflix HD streams going and web surfing. The response time was excellent, no video buffers and normal fast web browsing.

Datagg

Mesa, AZ

Thank you switch, I will try that.

switchman

Also it is possible that Asus is already performing the appropriate rate limiting. Best way to test if it is working is to do a speed test before and after turning on the QoS. You should not reach full speed when it is turned on. For example with it turned off if you do a speed test and and your get 50 down. Turn on QoS with 50 set in the router as your download speed repeat the speed test. If you get the same or close to the same speed with it off, then they are not adjusting it for you. In this case, set the down/upload speed to 40/8 save the settings and reboot the router. Try your speed test again and see if you have reduced speeds. Then start up a Netflix video, boost it to HD. Start a file download, try some gaming and other activities to see the results. Adjust your parameters as appropriate. I believe this is what "hardly" was saying to do. Play with the settings, observe the results, then do it again. Sometimes this is the only way to learn.

QoS is not going to speed up your game performance, in fact QoS will slow it a little as it now has to be tested and the correct QoS rule applied. What it will do is reduce the effects other activities in your network have on your game play.

I looked at the manual for your router and it is very week on detailed information.

suchageek
Premium
join:2002-12-22
Saint Louis, MO

Just got an RT-N66U last weekend. Played with the QoS settings and it severely limited my upload speed as reported in speedtest.net Turned QoS off and my upload went up at least 3x.

switchman

4 edits

said by suchageek:

Just got an RT-N66U last weekend. Played with the QoS settings and it severely limited my upload speed as reported in speedtest.net Turned QoS off and my upload went up at least 3x.

It will limit your upload speed and download. How much is determined by how you adjust the settings. No matter what you set them at, if you want QoS on these home router, you will be sacrificing overall speed for control of the line.

Did you read and understand the following link.
»tomatousb.org/tut:using-tomato-s-qos-system

I have 50/5 and I get these speeds with QoS turn off. When I enable QoS, my "speed test" results to speedtest.net drop to 30/2.8. The key is that I can now have a large file transfer going, 2xHD Netfilx streams running and I can be surfing the web and you do not see an impact on any for the services. My web browsing is just as responsive as if none of the services are running.

I could also do the same when I had 30/5 service. It was just the the speeds were slower but QoS did exactly what it was supposed to do. When I would turn off QoS the download would saturate the line and cause buffering issues on the Nefilx streams and slow web browsing. Turn QoS back on and and everything settles down. If you enable QoS correctly all the way to the users, you can actually improve the services. I believe that that is why TWC provides a 6580. If you look at the config file, they are pushing QoS setting, I just don't know what. I have mine in pass through mode, ie basically acting as a modem. I control my own QoS to tweak the setting I want.

A lot of people overate the meaning of speed test results. Speed test results only tell one piece of the network puzzle. And that is: is the service providers network, setup and performing such that the service level, ie tx/rx bit rate I am getting the same that I am paying for. If its, that does not mean that you usage of the bits is such that it is the most useful distribution of the bandwidth. That is where Qos comes in.

If you imagine the internet connection is like the water supply to your house. You have for example a two inch supply line coming into your house, (the internet service). You have 4 inch supply lines to all you fixtures, with simple on of valves. The valve is full on or full off and the fixture is fully capable of utilizing all of the water. So if you are taking a shower you get fill use of all the water coming into the house. As soon as some flushes the toilet, turns on the washing machine starts watering the lawn etc, all of your water pressure and water supply is going to start fluxuating or stopping. If the outside faucet is closer to the incoming line and the shower is on the second floor then you will lose all water at the shower.

Adjustable valves in your water lines act like the QoS settings, they works to slow the flows such that everything gets there fair share of the water. And just because all of the other valves in your house are shut off does not mean you will now get the full water flow rate at the shower. Its valve is still restricting the supply even though there is more available that it is using.

While not a perfect example of QoS in a router it is illustrative.

suchageek
Premium
join:2002-12-22
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ooma

2 edits

When my upload speed drops from 4.85 to 0.92 I kind of notice whether I "overate the meaning of the speed test results" or not.

As I mentioned, I just got this router last weekend and don't have anytime during the week to mess with it. I got it for two reasons.
First is that it can run DD-WRT so I can have more granular control over the QoS settings.

The second reason was to have it behind my AT&T NVG589 gigabit combo modem/router. It won't do true bridge mode but I have got it as close to that as is possible. The NVG589 seemed to be struggling when I was using Ooma VOIP, Synology NAS, desktop, network printer, wireless, etc. If I was talking on the phone, uploading to the NAS and on my desktop it would decide to knock me off the Internet while not affecting the phone. I went into the Ooma interface and changed the QoS settings there. So during this past week I have had little things like that popping up that required my attention and lots of Google searches.

This router is much more robust and is easily handling all of my devices. However, need to make *sure* everything is running well and just not use the stock QoS settings. When I do get around to using DD-WRT, in the next week or two, I will research how to best setup the QoS settings.

EDIT: Even when plugging in a cable directly to the NVG589 and other AT&T residential gateways before it, my upload speed was always in the .90's. Now that I have a NAS that was unacceptable--so I decided to have them fix it A tech was just here yesterday to fix it and moved me to a K card.