Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Owning a propane tank

Fed up of being raped by the propane company on my leased tank. I think this tax refund season I'll buy a tank and give the propane mafia the boot.

Anyone had a 500 gallon tank installed, and what approximate cost am I looking at?

I have an underground tank but I don't mind going to above ground.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
My 500 gallon underground tank was $1800 for the tank and $400 for installation (excluding trenching). An above ground 500 gallon would have been $1200 with $400 to install. That was in 2009.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to fifty nine
If the leased tank is suitable for you, you might ask the propane company you are leasing from how much they would charge for a buyout. This should be much cheaper than a new tank. They should be motivated to not have to come pull the used tank out.

If the propane company had to go buy on the spot market for propane that they had not put under contract earlier, they would have had to pay a lot. So just because they charged you a shocking amount for a recent fill doesn't mean that they were pocketing the difference to what you had paid previously.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to fifty nine
It's almost exactly 1/2 price for the above vs. UG. I think it was around $700 for 500 gal pig, and $1500 for a UG pig. Trench, pipe, and regulators extra.

Have them leave the pit open when they pull the old one. It might save you a few bucks.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

If the propane company had to go buy on the spot market for propane that they had not put under contract earlier, they would have had to pay a lot. So just because they charged you a shocking amount for a recent fill doesn't mean that they were pocketing the difference to what you had paid previously.

I always do a pre-buy every year so this doesn't apply. Still more than if I had owned the tank, except this year because of the extreme cold where I actually came out ahead.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

When the propane truck pulls up in a shared driveway fills the next door neighbors 500 gal tank at @2/gal then drags the hose over to my house and fills my tank at $5/gal it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude they are committing highway robbery.

Therefore I keep what's in the tank for an extreme emergency and otherwise run the heat pump even with the heat strips it's cheaper.

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by Jack_in_VA:

When the propane truck pulls up in a shared driveway fills the next door neighbors 500 gal tank at @2/gal then drags the hose over to my house and fills my tank at $5/gal it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude they are committing highway robbery.

You could put it that way also.

flaughs2000
Premium
join:2004-02-07
East Freedom, PA
reply to fifty nine
A 500Gal above ground is around $1200 here in central PA.

I agree with asking about the buyout on the under ground tank that blows my mind that that is even an option to lease/rent an under ground tank.
If you do go this route make sure you get a bill of sale with the tank serial number documented in the event another supplier questions the ownership of the tank so that you can prove you own it.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
said by flaughs2000:

I agree with asking about the buyout on the under ground tank that blows my mind that that is even an option to lease/rent an under ground tank.
If you do go this route make sure you get a bill of sale with the tank serial number documented in the event another supplier questions the ownership of the tank so that you can prove you own it.

It came with the house so at worst it's from 1998. I'm not sure I want a tank that old if I own it. Ferrellgas is the gas company.

Gene

@184.20.252.x
reply to nunya
Do you know a distributor/dealer where a 500 gal tank may be purchased in Central Illinois?

StillLearn
Premium
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
No, but a search would suggest asking
»www.propanegasoflincolnil.com/ for a referral.

»www.ilmoproducts.com/industries-···opane-2/ could be worthwhile.

»www.hicksgas.com/ would be a big outfit, but you have probably checked with them..

»decatur.craigslist.org/for/4325630526.html is a used tank.