dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

Cronk

Android tablets less susceptible to infection?

Will an Android based tablet be less likely to be infected if you click on a malicious attachment or link in an email? What about visiting a compromised website, one with a malicious script embedded?

Thanks

VikingBob
Go Jets Go!
Premium Member
join:2004-06-05
MB Canada

2 recommendations

VikingBob

Premium Member

No. Plenty of malware targetting Android is out there, and has been for a while.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl to Cronk

to Cronk
No and no.. I read once that about a third of all apps in the play store were malicious.. Most were for overseas though..
Velnias
join:2004-07-06

Velnias to Cronk

to Cronk
When comparing with Windows - yes.

Still, fake bank website looks the same as in Windows.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 recommendation

lordpuffer to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
If you are careful where you go, careful what attachments you open (the same way you would be with Windows), and run an antivirus app on the tablet, you should be fine.

Many people get infected with their Android device by downloading malicious apps. You just need to read the reviews on any app you want to download, etc.

For Antivirus apps I would lean towards Avast or Lookout. I use Lookout on both my tablet and my phone and really like it.
Velnias
join:2004-07-06

Velnias to Cronk

to Cronk
I wonder how many of those NO people got Android infected? None?
It is big difference when USER INSTALLS malware and when MALWARE INSTALLS itself without user notice.

More about Android security
»qz.com/131436/contrary-t ··· malware/

BTW its not an antivirus, that saves Android.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3

Premium Member

A lot of these users download free apps that mimic a popular app that needs to be paid for. Games are usually a culprit. These apps also install push adware. There are lists of reputable places to get apps, and then the fly-by-night sites. All Android fora urge users to only use the reputable sites.

I don't game, and use tablet and phone as more reference libraries. Those apps, like Sky Safari - Southern Stars, are pay for. So are the Audubon reference books from Green Mountain Digital. The companies have a reputation to maintain, so unless hijacked - no malware. I think At Bat for MLB is free, but it only works with MLB which means you need to subscribe.
Cronk

Cronk

Thanks to all for the info.

I am familiar with the risks associated with apps on Android.

What I am wondering is if drive-by malware on websites, and malicious downloads, which I assume are designed to infect Windows, would affect Android. Or are there reports of drive-by malware/downloads that are designed to infect Android devices?

Thanks

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

said by Cronk:

Or are there reports of drive-by malware/downloads that are designed to infect Android devices?

Almost two years ago.. »gizmodo.com/5907231/firs ··· -android

»www.webroot.com/shared/p ··· osed.pdf
Cronk

Cronk

Thanks, all the articles I've found have been about apps, not about websites. Now to figure out who gives reasonable protection. I have read before about the above mentioned AVast and Lookout.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

1 recommendation

lordpuffer

Premium Member

BTW, Lookout is also an anti-malware app, not just antivirus.

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

HA Nut to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
I've never used Avast for Android but I do subscribe to Lookout. I feel it's very good coverage. It's especially designed to integrate with the stock Android browser and Google Chrome browser (and actively scan pages of those 2 browsers.)