Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dan A

join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit

[Content] I wish Comcast would bring back WGN America

Comcast of Central New Jersey dropped WGN in 1999. A few years later Comcast added it in Union and Eatontown/Monmouth County. With WGN America adding original programing i wish they would consider bringing it back.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

[Content] Re: I wish Comcast would bring back WGN America

said by Dan A:

Comcast of Central New Jersey dropped WGN in 1999. A few years later Comcast added in Union and Eatontown. With WGN America adding original programing i wish they would consider bringing it back.

Yes, here in Monmouth County, WGN is on Channel 15-SD/814-HD, but I see you have OWN on Channel 15 (but nothing listed for 814).

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

WGN was originally 31 here but had moved 46 or 47 at the time it was dropped. Yes the boxes skip over 814.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ

I honestly can't remember WGN and everywhere I look online the only results I get is for WGN-TV which is out from Chicago.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

it is wgn out of Chicago just national syndicated programming instead of network/local programming.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I honestly can't remember WGN and everywhere I look online the only results I get is for WGN-TV which is out from Chicago.

WGN America (non-local version)
»www.wgnamerica.com/

WGN TV-9 Chicago
»wgntv.com/

Considering that they have now eliminated the 9PM local Chicago newscast - in favor of multiple reruns of (crap) like How I Met Your Mother, AFHV & Rules of Engagement - you are NOT really missing a whole lot.

There is also talk about that there will be NO more Cubs games on the America feed this year, either...basically the ONLY remnants left of the actual, Chicago programming feed, is a 4AM & noon hour-long newscast. Otherwise it's basically just another rerun cable channel of the SAME shows on either other cable channels, or local channels. I don't see this going over too well particularly in (downstate) IL, between the (OTA) Cubs games going away, as well as not being able to see evening news out of the real capital city of IL.

Yea, I know they're talking about adding (some) original prog on the America feed; they tried this before & it was a flop - which is probably what will happen this time as well.
I'm glad I have access to the actual Chicago feed (too)...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yeah I noticed that pretty much all of the shows they air are old cancelled programming. I mean wow. Just seeing the titles of these shows makes me sad. Walker was pretty cool, so was Futurama. I'm half expecting Star Trek Voyager and Touched by an Angel episodes.
--

JSull

join:2013-01-15

Way back in the '60's on Saturday mornings, WGN showed classic serials from the '30's-40's like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Green Hornet, Phantom Creeps, etc.
I am probably in the minority, but would enjoy seeing programming like that, and films from that era that we never see on TCM.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

I honestly thought that's what TV Land was for, to show shows from the 1940's through 1980's. I personally would love to see CHiPs and Emergency! and other shows I wasn't born yet to enjoy.
--

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to Dan A

Re: [Content] I wish Comcast would bring back WGN America

One of the last "Superstations".
»www.museum.tv/eotv/superstation.htm
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [Content] Re: I wish Comcast would bring back WGN America

said by Mike Wolf:

I honestly thought that's what TV Land was for, to show shows from the 1940's through 1980's. I personally would love to see CHiPs and Emergency! and other shows I wasn't born yet to enjoy.

FYI: Emergency! is on MeTV if you've got a local affiliate.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I don't think I have MeTV. I see it's available on Netflix though. Now to just find CHiPs
--

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Mike Wolf:

I don't think I have MeTV.

No, we don't have it down here in the Central/Southern NJ area yet, the closest affiliate station is WZME in Bridgeport, Connecticut that serves the immediate NYC market.

But that station's Me-TV affiliation will soon end and be replaced by two new VHF stations down here - KVNV/WVNV (Channel 3) in Middletown, NJ for the NYC market and KJWP (Channel 2) in Wilmington, DE for the Philadelphia market: »Re: The Drought Continues

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to mikedz4

when we got WGN America in western PA we got the local Chicago news and everything..... was kind of annoying

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

Onky news they show.now is noon and 6am i think.

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
reply to neufuse

They have much more news broadcastings on their local channel, the local station is a cw affiliate. The ones you see are broadcast on WGN and simulcast on WGN America.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ
reply to telcodad

Technically WFMZ DT3 in Allentown is quite a bit closer to Central NJ then WZME Bridgeport.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Dan A:

Technically WFMZ DT3 in Allentown is quite a bit closer to Central NJ then WZME Bridgeport.

You're right. I had entered my ZIP code on the Me-TV "Where to Watch" page »metvnetwork.com/wheretowatch and that brought me to the New York area listing (»metvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/affiliate/501), as I'm in the NYC DMA.

Southern NJ would be served by the Philadelphia area stations (»metvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/affiliate/504) such as WFMZ, as you said.

Note that the Philly listing also already shows the new KJWP station in Wilmington:
quote:
Philadelphia/Delaware Valley - KJWP (OTA) 2.1

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

We in Middlesex, Ocean and Monmouth will probably have to wait for KVNV to be moved to New York officially to get Me-TV . PMCM/Press Communication will then evoke their must carry right with Comcast. KVNV will be put on Channel 3 and a HD location TBD on all "New York ADI" Comcast Systems around May or June.