Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Using existing PTP link with dishes to feed another site using dish

I am looking at another site location.

Currently I have a 2 ft dish feeding our main site from our head-end. The tower side dish is set to client mode in PTP mode.

The new tower is almost direct line of site of the existing PTP link. Has anyone ever used the same dish on the tower put it into AP mode instead and then also use that same dish / link to feed another tower site in client mode?

So it would be Head-end (now in client mode)------>Tower in AP mode pulling signal from head-end and then same tower dish in AP mode feeding signal to dish in client mode at new tower site.

Has anyone done this before and how well has it worked? Basically a dish would be feeding two client dishes.. BY Client I mean tower sites.

Thanks
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

We are doing that at one AP site. Technically you will need to regulate your power down do to you now being a PtMP instead of PtP rules though.

It does work, but it's not ideal obviously.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to viperm

Premium Member

to viperm
Yup we have a site that was right in the middle of an existing beam. We just added another client to the dish. Been like that for years.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Okay cool right now I have power turned almost all the way down to like 10db for the existing link due to it being so close 1/2 mile. I wonder if that will work for the 8 mile link to the new tower if I use a 3ft dish or will I have to turn it up..
Technically it should give me about -61 with 2ft dish on tower and 3ft dish at new site with 10db power on both ends.
TheHox
join:2012-05-31

TheHox

Will having 2 stations with 7.5 mile separation between the two affect performance negatively? Messing with the ACK and what not?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by TheHox:

Will having 2 stations with 7.5 mile separation between the two affect performance negatively? Messing with the ACK and what not?

The ACK will set for the long link, performance should not suffer noticeably for the short link.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

I will order a complete link just in case I may just put up another dish. I am trying to avoid paying more rent to tower owner for now until I get more subs on.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to viperm

to viperm
Technically, you're just using the dish like a really narrow beam sector, so it should work fine. I fed most of my remote towers from a couple 5ghz sectors until the last couple years when I've been upgrading to PTP links for a little better reliability and signal strength. Saved me a ton in tower rent when I was starting out!