Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jm101

join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA

1 edit

[Rant] Comcast Increases Modem Rate without even mentioning anything

I was just looking at our January and February Comcast bills and see that our modem rental is $8. Looking back to December I saw that it was $7. I can't seem to find any notes on the bill that it was going up. Anyone else notice this? Even though it's just $1 Comcast really has to make these things clear.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by jm101:

I can't seem to find any notes on the bill that it was going up. Anyone else notice this? Even though it's just $1 Comcast really has to make these things clear.

I don't think there was a notice printed on people's bills, but most subscribers seemed to have received a new price list in with them last October that showed an increase in the "Voice/Data Modem Rental" fee to $8/month: »Comcast Bumping Modem Rental Fee to $8

jm101

Oakland, CA
said by telcodad:

said by jm101:

I can't seem to find any notes on the bill that it was going up. Anyone else notice this? Even though it's just $1 Comcast really has to make these things clear.

I don't think there was a notice printed on people's bills, but most subscribers seemed to have received a new price list in with them last October that showed an increase in the "Voice/Data Modem Rental" fee to $8/month: »Comcast Bumping Modem Rental Fee to $8

I can't seem to find a notice in our PDF Bills. Maybe it was in one of our paper bills.

Hopefully we don't get charged for our X1 install on Thursday.

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

1 recommendation

reply to jm101
Just an FYI, they are required by law to notify you. They send out mailers to every customer and usually the papers print them. They clear all price adjustments with the FCC and if they are approved, they send out notifications.

ninjadude

join:2002-01-06
Aurora, IL
reply to jm101
They sent out the new rates in your December billing.

jm101

Oakland, CA
I am pretty certain I didn't see anything in our electronic bill. Couldn't imagine Comcast not giving us notice. $8 is pretty ridiculous considering Comcast won't even replace the battery in the eMTA if it dies. At this point it may be worth it just to buy an eMTA.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
If you look at the electronic bill, make sure it's the FULL PDF version, not what you see on-screen. At least for me, it's typically identical to the paper bill.

I should mention it was a set of extra pages in the bill, not a notice in the bill itself.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to jm101
If you look at this thread

»[Bill] Price Increase List, effective 01-01-2014

I reference a section of my December bill that was posted online that had the full set of price increases for 2014 for my area. This list included everything, including modem rental going from $7 to $8.

So, what I would do in your case is go online and look at your full bill from December. It should be listed in there.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to jm101
said by jm101:

At this point it may be worth it just to buy an eMTA.

FWIW, if you go this route, it may be best to first call in or go to your local CC service center and inquire / confirm that customer owned eMTA's are allowed to be used on their system. Some local franchises still do not allow it.

Dumaine

join:2010-12-05
Detroit, MI
reply to jm101
I know I seen the memo in my bill. IIRC it was in the bill I received in November (due December) because that is what prompted me to purchase my own eMTA

TiMo Tim
Premium
join:2014-01-22
Bloomington, IL
reply to jm101
I just signed up for a Comcast triple-play package in January (after 17+ yrs on DirecTv). While going thru the screens online, it told me the eMTA modem fee was $7. One of my confirmation emails said $8. I considered calling in to complain and see about getting a $12 credit for the 12 months I was promised that $7 price, but haven't done so yet.

Today, I checked again, using an address in my area:

quote:
You'll need a Digital Voice modem

XFINITY Voice requires this modem to work in your home. Available for just $5.00/mo.

Now it's $5?!?

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to jm101
said by jm101:

I was just looking at our January and February Comcast bills and see that our modem rental is $8. Looking back to December I saw that it was $7. I can't seem to find any notes on the bill that it was going up. Anyone else notice this? Even though it's just $1 Comcast really has to make these things clear.

*shrug* so go buy your own, will pay for itself in less than a year. No need to rant here.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to jm101
Just wanted to update this with more information for the OP.

This morning, I signed into my comcast account. I then went to the "Billing and Payments" section, and scrolled down to the "Past Bills" section.

I then clicked on the link to the full PDF version of the bill "Billed November 25, 2013 (pdf)".

In my case, the PDF file is 8 pages long. Page #'s 1-3 are my actual bill, and that is what it is every month. Page 4 thru Page 8 is the section that outlines all of the changes that are coming, showing what the old price was, and what the new price will be. At the top of all of that (Page #4), it listed what area will be effective by the changes, and when these changes would take place.

Since I also receive a paper copy of my bill in the mail, my paper copy looks just like the full pdf online. This is how I knew the changes were coming, as this section was actually part of the actual bill. It was printed on the same paper that the bill was, and it included the same information at the top right of each page (Account #, Billing Date, New Charges, Total Amount Due).

So, I would go back and look at this, as you should have received something similar around that timeframe.

I've said it on here in regards to different things, but this is why people must always read their full bill every month. Just looking at a summary screen, or signing up for automatic bill pay and just letting it go are not a good idea. If you don't read your full bill every month, you will most likely miss something important.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

jm101

Oakland, CA

3 edits
reply to GTFan
said by GTFan:

said by jm101:

*shrug* so go buy your own, will pay for itself in less than a year. No need to rant here.

But they are required by law to say if it's going up in price. I don't see anything on our bill of course unless it came in our paper bill. I see some extra pages on our September bill but that still says $7/month. I would buy an eMTA but who knows if we'll have Comcast in a year.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
said by jm101:

But they are required by law to say if it's going up in price. I don't see anything on our bill of course unless it came in our paper bill. I see some extra pages on our September bill but that still says $7/month. I would buy an eMTA but who knows if we'll have Comcast in a year.

Yes they are, and what I am saying is that they probably did. If you no longer have your paper statements from November or December, then please go log in to your comcast account, and follow the instructions that I posted above. You will then be able to view all of your past bills, and in one of them (either for December or November), you should see the section that outlines any and all increases that would be applied to your bill.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

jm101

Oakland, CA
said by plencnerb:

said by jm101:

Yes they are, and what I am saying is that they probably did. If you no longer have your paper statements from November or December, then please go log in to your comcast account, and follow the instructions that I posted above. You will then be able to view all of your past bills, and in one of them (either for December or November), you should see the section that outlines any and all increases that would be applied to your bill.

--Brian

I am certain there is no mention of it. Of course unless I am completely overlooking it. I see this on our December bill.

Effective 1/1/14, Comcast will implement a Broadcast TV Fee of
$1.50 per month (excluding applicable taxes and fees) on video
customers' bills to defray the rising costs of retransmitting
broadcast television signals. However, we will waive the
Broadcast TV Fee for current customers until 7/1/14.

That's it though. No additional pages.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to jm101
said by jm101:

I would buy an eMTA but who knows if we'll have Comcast in a year.

You can easily flip the eMTA on fleabay in a year and still save a bunch of money vs. renting.

But you just want to rant here for no apparent reason, Comcast will charge whatever they want and you will pay regardless of whether they gave notice.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to jm101
Go back and look at the bill posted in November. That is where mine was at.

The section you reference is normally the last page of the bill. In the case of my November bill, I have a similar section. It said the following:

quote:
Important Account Information
On 12/19/2013, El Rey will be added on Digital Preferred
channel 139. El Rey is a new English language general
entertainment network geared to Latino audiences.
Effective 12/19/2013, SOAPnet will no longer be available on
channel 109.
Effective 1/6/2014, G4 and G4 HD will no longer be available on
channels 136 and 288, respectively.

Secure Backup & Share Customers: Effective December 1,
2013, Secure Backup & Share will be discontinued. Files on
Secure Backup & Share will be deleted and no longer be
available as of December 1, 2013. For more information on the
discontinuation of Secure Backup & Share, please visit
»constantguard.comcast.net/secure···nd-share or
call 1-800-COMCAST.

Then, the next page (in my case for November, this was page #4 of the PDF File), was the section that I'm talking about that shows all the changes in price. Below is a picture of the start of that.

The black box at the top right corner is the section of the bill that contains my Account #, Billing Date, New Charges, and Total Amount Due. It also lists which page I am looking at. In this case, it does say Page 4 of 8. Pages 5 thru 8 then go on to list every single item that Comcast in my area charges for, what the current price of that item is, and what the new price will be. Some things did not change in price, but most of them did.

Bottom line is that this information is present in one of your bills prior to you seeing the price increase in January. You just have to look at the right place.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner