how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

streakolean

join:2009-02-28
Oriental, NC

basic equip info for millenicom

please help me understand how millenicom equip would differ with the verizon equip i currently have.

currently have a novatel usb760 modem connected to an external antenna (needed to get usable signal) . the 760 is connected to a cradlepoint mbr1000.

is the millenicom hotspot a combination router and modem? does it have an external antenna connection jack? i have some concern about the range of the hotspot, is there a way to keep the cradlepoint as my router?

thanks for any information you can give me.

diugo

join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ
kudos:1

1 edit
Yes, the Millenicom/Verizon Jetpacks are all modem-router combos that wirelessly connect with 5-10 WiFi devices.

The Jetpack now provided, the MHS291L, actually has two antenna ports and supports both 3G and 4G LTE. WiFi range is around 100 feet. However, I have no idea whether your external antenna has the right connector and/or frequencies.

Unfortunately your MBR1000 is now a dinosaur because it does not support the "WiFi as WAN" feature, nor does it support a direct USB connection to the newer Jetpacks. So you would need to purchase a WiFi-RJ45 repeater/bridge/router just to keep using it.

streakolean

Oriental, NC
thank you for the info. i dont mind giving up the mbr1000, i just need more than 100 ft range.

could you please describe the physical connection between the jetpack and the router, is it a usb cable?

again, thank you for your help.

diugo

join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ
kudos:1
You basically need something like this: »www.ebay.com/itm/New-MERCURY-150···92426140

In an ideal all wireless configuration, you simply locate it midway between your Jetpack and your laptop so that it effectively extends your Jetpack's WiFi range.

In reality though a $12 device like this one probably doesn't have a very strong radio, so you might want to look into more expensive brand name WiFi repeaters/bridges/extenders for better range/reliability.

Or you could try locating this thing relatively close to the Jetpack, then run a long Ethernet (RJ45) cable from it to the WAN port of your MBR1000.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to streakolean
another option if you want to continue using the MBR1000 is to swap the SIM out of the Jetpack and put it into a Verizon Pantech UML290 USB modem (cheap on eBay). You would just need a micro to standard SIM adapter. The MBR1000 supports the UML290
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

streakolean

Oriental, NC
is there a "how to" instruction on removing the sim from the jetpack and installation into the uml290?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

1 edit
no, but I can walk you through it ... whats needed: the Jetpack, the UML290, a Micro to Standard SIM adapter .... nothing else

streakolean

Oriental, NC
thanks jim, but i dont have the equip in hand. still considering options to verizon at this time. im on an old alltel unlimited plan that verizon has throttled to almost dial-up. being so rural my options are very limited.

thanks for all your help.