spc
Search similar:

uniqs
streakolean
join:2009-02-28
Oriental, NC

streakolean

basic equip info for millenicom

please help me understand how millenicom equip would differ with the verizon equip i currently have.

currently have a novatel usb760 modem connected to an external antenna (needed to get usable signal) . the 760 is connected to a cradlepoint mbr1000.

is the millenicom hotspot a combination router and modem? does it have an external antenna connection jack? i have some concern about the range of the hotspot, is there a way to keep the cradlepoint as my router?

thanks for any information you can give me.

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

1 edit

diugo

Yes, the Millenicom/Verizon Jetpacks are all modem-router combos that wirelessly connect with 5-10 WiFi devices.

The Jetpack now provided, the MHS291L, actually has two antenna ports and supports both 3G and 4G LTE. WiFi range is around 100 feet. However, I have no idea whether your external antenna has the right connector and/or frequencies.

Unfortunately your MBR1000 is now a dinosaur because it does not support the "WiFi as WAN" feature, nor does it support a direct USB connection to the newer Jetpacks. So you would need to purchase a WiFi-RJ45 repeater/bridge/router just to keep using it.
streakolean
Oriental, NC

streakolean

thank you for the info. i dont mind giving up the mbr1000, i just need more than 100 ft range.

could you please describe the physical connection between the jetpack and the router, is it a usb cable?

again, thank you for your help.

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

diugo

You basically need something like this: »www.ebay.com/itm/New-MER ··· 92426140

In an ideal all wireless configuration, you simply locate it midway between your Jetpack and your laptop so that it effectively extends your Jetpack's WiFi range.

In reality though a $12 device like this one probably doesn't have a very strong radio, so you might want to look into more expensive brand name WiFi repeaters/bridges/extenders for better range/reliability.

Or you could try locating this thing relatively close to the Jetpack, then run a long Ethernet (RJ45) cable from it to the WAN port of your MBR1000.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to streakolean

to streakolean
another option if you want to continue using the MBR1000 is to swap the SIM out of the Jetpack and put it into a Verizon Pantech UML290 USB modem (cheap on eBay). You would just need a micro to standard SIM adapter. The MBR1000 supports the UML290
streakolean
Oriental, NC

streakolean

is there a "how to" instruction on removing the sim from the jetpack and installation into the uml290?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

1 edit

Jim_in_VA (banned)

no, but I can walk you through it ... whats needed: the Jetpack, the UML290, a Micro to Standard SIM adapter .... nothing else
streakolean
Oriental, NC

streakolean

thanks jim, but i dont have the equip in hand. still considering options to verizon at this time. im on an old alltel unlimited plan that verizon has throttled to almost dial-up. being so rural my options are very limited.

thanks for all your help.