spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Immymortal

@cibc.com

Wireless Router Recommendation

Hey all, I just got back from Cisco support and they lovingly declined me any further support as I'm out of warranty OR I could purchase a support incident for a one time low fee of $39 -.-"

Anyways! I have the Cisco Valet M10 V2.0 and it has been great to me for the past 4 years however due to recently switching to Teksavvy it will intermittently go into "Limited or No Connectivity." The Thomson DCM476 is up and running though, if I connect directly to it.

I've already done the utmost troubleshooting by power cycling both Modem and Router. I've changed the Channels, reset it back to defaults and even reflashed the current (2011) firmware. Same thing, every time and again it disconnects into "Limited/No Connectivity." So! I've come to you guys to get some advice or recommendation for a new router. It is 2014 and the standard is "AC" FASTEST SPEEDS or something.

Budget is about ~$100

Thanks

jmarlatt2

join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON

I'd recommend an asus rt-ac68u, a bit pricey but they are pretty solid. Haven't looked at routers for a while so I'm not sure what else is out there.

Or even the rt-ac66u

router

@206.16.17.x

RT-AC68U is $230, and RT-AC66U is $190.

For ~$100 budget, go with RT-N16. Currently on sale at Canada Computers:
»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=027834

It is supported by tomatousb, which is extremely stable. Haven't had to reboot mine even once, in over 2 years.

fluffybunny

@cipherkey.com
reply to Immymortal

the Valet is still OK.
Try flashing the custom M10v2 Tomato firmware by Toastman on it. It should tell you what, if anything, it wrong with it in the log files.

if you cant do that then get an asus rtn66u or the ac66u and put tomatousb on them.

Immymortal

@cibc.com

I actually can't find the exact firmware for my piece of hardware. I have the Linksys E1000 v2 but Tomatousb has Linksys E1000 v1 under the compatibility list specified. What do? And also I'd love to get the RTN66U but that's out of my budget right now :/

KPaul

join:2007-02-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Immymortal

»www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band···06QB1RPY

Just got this on Monday, it's helped out my connection huge. Way more stable to all computers and wireless. Great price too.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to Immymortal

said by Immymortal :

Linksys E1000 v2 but Tomatousb has Linksys E1000 v1 under the compatibility list specified.

The difference appears to be BCM4716 in v1 and BCM5357 in v2. That's promising. Same details again at dd-wrt supported devices:
»dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Support···g.2Fn.29

And a quick little google of "tomato e1000" reveals this:
RT-N branch

tomato-E1000v2-v21-NVRAM32K-1.28.0500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N-Mini
»www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th···t-185931

So I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, but I do encourage you to do your own research to find the exact firmware file you need to use.

I'm not sure what to think of Wireless AC yet. I kind of doubt its value. N300 is a marketing gimmick--there isn't enough room in the 2.4GHz band anyway, so no point doubling the bandwidth. N600 seems to imply that the router is simultaneous dual band, which is a very important feature (not because of N600 though, so make sure to confirm simultaneous dual band before buying).
--
electronicsguru.ca

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to Immymortal

I've been using an Asus RT-N56U for the past year and it's great. I'm using the Asus firmware and see no reason to move to a third party firmware.

RT

@teksavvy.com
reply to KPaul

If you install "Asuswrt Merlin" firmware (custom) on it, this router will become a super stable with an excellent range and add some nice functionality.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Immymortal

the older ASUS RT-N16 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33320038 are affordable and you can flash tomato on it, tplinks are affordable and seem to work fine.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

said by vincom:

the older ASUS RT-N16

They have a certain role. Very powerful in terms of CPU/memory/flash. General purpose users don't need that. Nice to have, of course, but not critical. Meanwhile they are not dual band, and dual band is huge for anybody living in a densely populated neighbourhood.
--
electronicsguru.ca

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Teddy Boom:

said by vincom:

the older ASUS RT-N16

They have a certain role. Very powerful in terms of CPU/memory/flash. General purpose users don't need that. Nice to have, of course, but not critical. Meanwhile they are not dual band, and dual band is huge for anybody living in a densely populated neighbourhood.

a couple of sub $1oo dollar units with dual band
ASUS N600 RT-N53 $60 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33320088
Linksys E2500-NP $70 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33124490

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to Immymortal

for a $40-50 budget you might want to consider a TP-Link WDR3600, good wifi and supports dd-wrt/openwrt too.

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to vincom

said by jmck:

for a $40-50 budget you might want to consider a TP-Link WDR3600, good wifi and supports dd-wrt/openwrt too.

i was just about to post that, TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···04144CVF

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

it's even cheaper at Canada Computers, $54 or something.

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by jmck:

it's even cheaper at Canada Computers, $54 or something.

thats where i usully buy my stuff, i just ref newegg as it has more info and reviews

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
reply to Immymortal

The best Wireless by far is from Ruckus, but I see you want something cheaper, you could look into getting something from openmesh.ca, you can get very good router or AP then build off it if you find areas of your home that don't have good coverage.

jdoe71

join:2008-02-07
L0L0L0
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Immymortal

I'd consider a TP-Link Archer C7. I saw it for less than a hundred bucks on sale think it was at NCIX. I have the WDR3600 and it is very solid, not a hiccup since I set it up. Had a 1043 before that and it was excellent too. Had DD-WRT on them and a very good combination.

hightech

join:2011-01-03
reply to Immymortal

If you are looking at wireless performance and range, I suggest the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. I just picked this up and it has great range.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Immymortal

Shouldn't even need to point this out but: Asus Router Flaw (Ars)

Affects a variety of Asus router models, including the RT-AC66R, RT-AC66U, RT-N66R, RT-N66U, RT-AC56U, RT-N56R, RT-N56U, RT-N14U, RT-N16, and RT-N16R. Asus reportedly patched the vulnerabilities late last week.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by TwiztedZero:

Shouldn't even need to point this out but: Asus Router Flaw (Ars)

Those flaws only affect people who actually enable or leave those features enabled.

I'm guessing most somewhat security-conscious people would disable all of these on their first walk through the router's UI after completing the initial setup wizard, which effectively prevents the exploit from ever being possible in the first place.

That gives people one more reason to be wary of devices that try to be all-in-one gateways.

nanook
Premium,MVM
join:2007-12-02
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by InvalidError:

Those flaws only affect people who actually enable or leave those features enabled.

And what's the default on these routers? Most people take the defaults. That's why you used to see so many open routers with SSID of Linksys that could be commandeered using admin/admin.

I'm guessing most somewhat security-conscious people would disable all of these on their first walk through the router's UI after completing the initial setup wizard, which effectively prevents the exploit from ever being possible in the first place.

Security-conscious people, yes. But not likely for the other 80% of the public that buys these routers "because PC World said they were the best", attach a multi-TB HD via USB and then "assume" only people on their home LAN will be able to access it.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

+1

chogo

join:2011-05-19
Ottawa
reply to Immymortal

Since you think your router is busted, it wouldn't hurt to try Tomato on it. You may find that it works fine with an alternative firmware.

Here is the link for Shibby Tomato (make sure to download the one for the M10_v2): »tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N···-series/

Just download and use the built-in firmware updater.

Alternatively, u can find lots of refurnished linksys routers available such as the ea2700rm or ea4500rm for under $55 at Canada Computers but neither supports alternative firmware.