spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

josh k

@opera-mini.net

[Help] batry drains while charging

pls assist me, when I plug my htc device to either USB, car charger, or ac, it drains instead of charging. what can I do

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Buy a new battery.

lostinms
Moo

join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS
reply to josh k

it is possible that the charge cable is bad. I have issue with some of the cables you get with the end that plugs into the phone for some reason gets bigger so I have to take a pair of channel locks to squeeze it close some in order for the cable to make a good connection in order for it to start charging again.

OR

The connection on your phone is going bad. How old is your phone? I know my daughter's phone I have to play with it to get it to charge.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to josh k

I'm just thinking... if this were the case then the phone would never charge. Which means it would be dead in less then 24 hours and you'd not have used it since this problem started. So is this a new issue that just happened?

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to josh k

Car chargers are meant for emergency purposes. They screw the battery so it's better to avoid them.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

said by mastsethi:

Car chargers are meant for emergency purposes. They screw the battery so it's better to avoid them.

ermmm...no. I'm gonna need to see a link or something on that. I use my car charger all the time. While it doesn't necessarily charge it up if being heavily used (a la GPS) it still maintains or greatly reduces the amount of discharging the battery undergoes.

If I don't use the phone at all, it charges just fine...albeit slower than a wall charger, but still charges. I've never had an issue with my battery due to a car charger, and I'd say I'm on phone 6 or 7 that has used them.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mastsethi

said by mastsethi:

Trololol... Don't spread misinformation like this.

lostinms
Moo

join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS
reply to josh k

I use battery monitor widget to see what it is charging at. Usually it gives you what the mA is at. If its in the green and on the + side then its charging but if it is in the - side and red then it is not. Just wish google had incorporate that instead of the lighting bolt.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to josh k

99% of the time this problem is caused in one way or another by the phone not getting the full charging current needed to keep up with the usage. ie: If you have a cheapy generic charger most likely it is only pushing the base 500ma usb spec current but any modern smartphone is going to require a full amp or more under heavy load.

Even if you have a decent charger and is marked as 1A or higher but is still not keeping up, there could be other causes. Next most likely one down the line is if the charger is built for Apple devices. In normal Apple fashion they designed their USB chargers to use a non-standard setup that, unless you buy a specific cable or employ some hackery, most non-Apple devices will not pull full capacity out of it.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to josh k

Still not mentioned how old battey, how heavily cycled?

Could just be that time for a new one. Basically you FULLY cycle a battery once a day it will last about a year maybe a little more, but multiple times a a day even less.
--

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
reply to josh k

USB and some car chargers don't supply enough voltage to charge devices that are using more power than they are being supplied, such as screen on, gps app etc.

For cars you can often fix this, buy purchasing a cigarette adapter that supply's enough voltage(I forget the exact number you want, it's 3.1, or 4 amps or something like that)

For instance, my cigarette adaptor splits 1, into 2+USB. If I am using the 2 cigarette ports, and the USB to charge my phone, it will slowly go down with the screen on. If I am only using the USB, it will keep up and charge even with the screen on. This is due to the drop in amps when using the 2 cigarette ports.